Setting up a Gigabit network with Wireless connection

Go to solution Solved by T0242,
1 minute ago, FoxHunter said:

Do I need a modem with router capabilities so I can use my switch?

I made the exact situation you have right now (except for the modem)

But I am using a 100Mbit router; and the exact switch you mentioned,

test situation is:

TAXS99C.png

Here are the results when I copy a file over the network from SRV1 to WKS1:

39epzMR.png 

FBxd1pF.png

By using a switch both Gigabit and non gigabit links can be present in a network, and since switch won't force everyone to go over the router this means you can have 2 machines hooked up to 10Gbit, while the rest of the network is just 10Mbit, 100Mbit, 1Gbit or 4Gbit (less common)

Hope that clarifies

I'm trying to make a Gigabit network . and I need to have three computers accessing another through the network, the files are RAW video archives, so I need the Gigabit connection so it can have faster transfer data, and also have wireless connections to devices. But, I don't want to spend money more that I already have.

What I want to do is to connect the computers on wires using the switch so I can have the Gigabit transfer speeds, and a wireless connection to my devices.

My network path right now is: Modem > 100/10 mbit Linksys WRT120N router > Computers and wireless devices.

What I want to do is: Modem > Gigabit Switch (TP-Link TL-SG1008D) >  Computers

|

100/10 mbit Linksys WRT120N router > Wireless devices.

The path "Modem > Gigabit Switch (TP-Link TL-SG1008D) >  Wired connections to Computers" worked. but the Linksys WRT120N router don't distribute IPs now, so I don't have Wireless connection.

The modem it's a Motorola SBV5122, so there's only one LAN port and the telephones are attached to that.

Since it didn't worked, I came back to the old path.

My main computer is inside another room, there's a computer right where the Modem and Switch is, and the router is centralized to the floor, far from the switch and modem.

Why I don't want to stay the same:

1. I need the Gigabit transfer speeds;
  2. I want my Wireless Router to be located at the centre of the floor, so the connection can be good at all rooms.
  3. I cannot do the path Modem > Router > Switch, I will lose the Gigabit connection and don't want a cable mess.

Do I need to do some kind of configuration to my Linksys router so I can have Wi-Fi?

Turn off DHCP on the wireless router/make it a slave of the modem. I think the modem is now assigning IPs.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/turning-off-dhcp-wireless-router.htm

Make sure the router is not on 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, the modem should have one of those.

A lazy software engineer from Australia.

Specs Below:

Spoiler

Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.10 Dual Boot

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5

Mouse: MX Master

Monitors: Dell 1440p 25" somethings

(I change out hardware often so this may not be accurate.)

CPU: Intel i7 4790K

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB

SSD: 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe

WIP

From what I can tell is that you want to hook your switch up to the WAN connection, as well as all machines?

What you want to do is:

Modem -> Router(which includes WIFI) -> Switch -> WKS x3

QCaV16b.png

You need the Router for your machines to be able to get a connection to the outer world, as well as the DHCP server to give addresses (you most likely want to make those static anyways!)

(I didn't include this on the drawing but the WAN comes in to the left of the modem)

32 minutes ago, FoxHunter said:

I cannot do the path Modem > Router > Switch, I will lose the Gigabit connection and don't want a cable mess.

The Router doesn't have gigabit capabilities, so do you do not need to worry about this, the switch will switch based on mac addresses meaning that your workstations will have a full gigabit of bandwidth to each other (but not to the wifi devices)

Just give me a minute, I think I have that exact switch somewhere here

Edited by T0242
Added diagram + explanation

Armed with Google, I can take on the world*

*:Hopefully

25 minutes ago, Nathooo_ said:

Turn off DHCP on the wireless router/make it a slave of the modem. I think the modem is now assigning IPs.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/turning-off-dhcp-wireless-router.htm

Make sure the router is not on 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1, the modem should have one of those.

Just tried that, I changed to 192.168.100.101 (.100 is the router) I have wired connection from the wireless router but no wireless connection.

12 minutes ago, T0242 said:

WIP

From what I can tell is that you want to hook your switch up to the WAN connection, as well as all machines?

What you want to do is:

Modem -> Router(which includes WIFI) -> Switch -> WKS x3

QCaV16b.png

You need the Router for your machines to be able to get a connection to the outer world, as well as the DHCP server to give addresses (you most likely want to make those static anyways!)

(I didn't include this on the drawing but the WAN comes in to the left of the modem)

The only problem is, I'll lose the Gigabit connection, because my router is not 1Gbit, only up to 100Mbit.

I didn't see your edits.

1 minute ago, FoxHunter said:

test situation is:

TAXS99C.png

39epzMR.png 

FBxd1pF.png

By using a switch both Gigabit and non gigabit links can be present in a network, and since switch won't force everyone to go over the router this means you can have 2 machines hooked up to 10Gbit, while the rest of the network is just 10Mbit, 100Mbit, 1Gbit or 4Gbit (less common)

Hope that clarifies

Armed with Google, I can take on the world*

*:Hopefully

2 minutes ago, T0242 said:

test situation is:

TAXS99C.png

39epzMR.png 

FBxd1pF.png

Hope that clarifies

What about download speeds, like large files from the cloud, should I even bother about the time that it will reach the max speeds? It's 10 mbytes/s down, and 4 mbytes/s up.

Just now, FoxHunter said:

What about download speeds, like large files from the cloud, should I even bother about the time that it will reach the max speeds? It's 10 mbytes/s down, and 4 mbytes/s up.

10MBps = 80Mbps so you still won't have trouble reaching your max download speeds on a 100Meg connection.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: