The LTT Star Wars Fan Club

AlTech
15 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I want Luke ... *wait for it* ... Dual saber battle against multiple opponents!!!

If you played Jedi Academy, you know what the heck I'm wanting to see xD

I don't necessarily need Luke to wield dual sabers. In fact, it would show his skill off better if he could fight multiple opponents with just his single iconic Green Blade.

Or, they could adopt the tactics that Luke used during the Yuuzhan Vong war where he sometimes carried a short saber in the off-hand, similar to a Tanto or a Fencing Parrying Dagger.

I honestly think that Rebels (and to a lesser degree, Clone Wars) went a little overboard with some of the saber designs. In particular, the "Inquisitor" weapons that spun like helicopters. I shit you not, I just watched an Episode of Rebels (S2 finale) where the inquisitors legit flew around using the fucking things.

I guess kids love that stuff. But at least Clone Wars had a darker undertone that an older viewer like myself could latch onto.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I think a Redemption Arc for Kylo is pretty likely. I think Rey will fall in Ep 8, and Kylo will be saved. And then Kylo + Luke will have to save (or kill) her in Ep 9. That's assuming Luke doesn't get killed in Ep 8.

I kind of like the idea that Kylo is saved, and Rey falls, but cannot be saved, and must be killed. That would be neat, and a bit different. Though I'd also be happy if she ended up being saved too.

As long as I get my solid 20+ minutes of Luke being an utter badass Lightsaber duelist/force user. I'm talking he comes in and makes all the other duelists look like school children playing with sticks, and then on top of that, displays absolute BADASS force abilities.

Like the final scene in Rogue One, but magnified by 100, plus other lightsabers thrown into the mix.

Personally I'd like to see Kylo die painfully for killing Han.  Also because I mostly hate his character since he's basically a whiny emo teenager that is only in charge because he's so emo that he has magic powers and could kill any of his underlings as easy as snapping his fingers but the bad guys are hoping he'll freak out at the good guys most of the time.  ? (Using the term magic sarcastically since I know the Force is not magic.)  

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't necessarily need Luke to wield dual sabers. In fact, it would show his skill off better if he could fight multiple opponents with just his single iconic Green Blade.

Or, they could adopt the tactics that Luke used during the Yuuzhan Vong war where he sometimes carried a short saber in the off-hand, similar to a Tanto or a Fencing Parrying Dagger.

I honestly think that Rebels (and to a lesser degree, Clone Wars) went a little overboard with some of the saber designs. In particular, the "Inquisitor" weapons that spun like helicopters. I shit you not, I just watched an Episode of Rebels (S2 finale) where the inquisitors legit flew around using the fucking things.

I guess kids love that stuff. But at least Clone Wars had a darker undertone that an older viewer like myself could latch onto.

A single saber is best for general use I'd say since using two hands gives the user the strongest force in each swing.  Though from playing the KOTOR games I'm a fan of using a standard saber in one hand and a short in the other.  You can do more damage that way while minimizing the penalties from dual wielding.   

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Personally I'd like to see Kylo die painfully for killing Han.  Also because I mostly hate his character since he's basically a whiny emo teenager that is only in charge because he's so emo that he has magic powers and could kill any of his underlings as easy as snapping his fingers but the bad guys are hoping he'll freak out at the good guys most of the time.  ? (Using the term magic sarcastically since I know the Force is not magic.)  

A single saber is best for general use I'd say since using two hands gives the user the strongest force in each swing.  Though from playing the KOTOR games I'm a fan of using a standard saber in one hand and a short in the other.  You can do more damage that way while minimizing the penalties from dual wielding.   

Keep in mind all dual wield/hit penalty mechanics from KOTOR are 100% gameplay balance only. They really hold no canon relevance besides the most superficial.

Otherwise in real life people would have dual wielded swords more often. Even using a dagger or short sword in the off-hand was very rare historically.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Keep in mind all dual wield/hit penalty mechanics from KOTOR are 100% gameplay balance only. They really hold no canon relevance besides the most superficial.

Otherwise in real life people would have dual wielded swords more often. Even using a dagger or short sword in the off-hand was very rare historically.

Ok.  It does make sense to me why a short sword in the off-hand would be a good idea.  Think about it: wouldn't it be easier to use a standard sword and a short sword vs two standard swords?

Though if the user was strong enough I guess they could use two standard swords effectively?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.  It does make sense to me why a short sword in the off-hand would be a good idea.  Think about it: wouldn't it be easier to use a standard sword and a short sword vs two standard swords?

Though if the user was strong enough I guess they could use two standard swords effectively?

Oh agreed, a shorter blade on the off-hand would definitely have it's advantages over two full sized blades.

But consider one of the reasons for this in real life is fatigue and weight. Lightsabers do not weigh very much, and the blade really adds very little (if any) weight to the weapon as a whole. You could potentially make a smaller and more compact hilt for your off-hand - whether that will require a shorter blade would depend on technical limitations - we do not know if the size of the hilt has any impact on the blade size.

There are both advantages and disadvantages of using an off-hand weapon. You're trading precision and power for agility and reach. For some duelists, this would be an advantage - for others, not.

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh agreed, a shorter blade on the off-hand would definitely have it's advantages over two full sized blades.

But consider one of the reasons for this in real life is fatigue and weight. Lightsabers do not weigh very much, and the blade really adds very little (if any) weight to the weapon as a whole. You could potentially make a smaller and more compact hilt for your off-hand - whether that will require a shorter blade would depend on technical limitations - we do not know if the size of the hilt has any impact on the blade size.

There are both advantages and disadvantages of using an off-hand weapon. You're trading precision and power for agility and reach. For some duelists, this would be an advantage - for others, not.

Ohhh.  Oops.  I forgot that a lightsaber blade has no weight to affect dual-wielding.  ?

So with that in mind I'd say two full size sabers would be better assuming it's possible assuming there are no technical limitations to prevent it.  

Edited by Bleedingyamato

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ohhh.  Oops.  I forgot that a lightsaber blade has no weight to affect dual-wielding.  ?

So with that in mind I'd say two full size sabers would be better assuming it's possible assuming there are no technical limitations to prevent it.  

Could be. But there are still disadvantages.

The increased danger to the user. Of course with skill and practice, one can minimize the risk. And the force can also help with that. But since the off-hand blade is longer, it presents a greater risk over a shorter blade, which would thus necessitate either more of ones force ability be put towards keeping the user safe, or increased concentration (or both).

And in addition to that, a single blade will have greater potential strength, greater precision, and possibly even greater speed in certain types of maneuvers.

So again, even with the fact that a lightsaber doesn't have the same limitations as a steel sword does, there will still be advantages and disadvantages for each method.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It was fairly rare yeah. But sword and dagger got pretty popular around the 16th century. (Sword and buckler was still much more popular though.)

But fencing masters did teach "Dual wielding" at times. Giacomo di Grassi has a section in one of his Treatises on dual rapier fencing. And Fiore De'i liberi has a few as well. 

(I end up looking through treatises at times when i'm bored.) 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This is the reason I don't watch these anymore. It was like they were throwing chunks to the story that aren't essentially not canon but sounds insane.

Maybe I'll start watching the newer ones again someday just to catch up on the lore :P

Yeah I agree that single style saber is powerful, especially in the older games where it did have an advantage to defense and the strength of the attack. But come on, dual wield looks cool (lol I'm sounding like a kid). Remember Anakin in episode 2? yeah that looks cool until he got his hand chopped off. lol.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

4 hours ago, techswede said:

It was fairly rare yeah. But sword and dagger got pretty popular around the 16th century. (Sword and buckler was still much more popular though.)

But fencing masters did teach "Dual wielding" at times. Giacomo di Grassi has a section in one of his Treatises on dual rapier fencing. And Fiore De'i liberi has a few as well. 

(I end up looking through treatises at times when i'm bored.) 

Never saw dual wield fencing before or even heard of it. I just youtubed a lot of stuff because of your post. Cheers :D

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

4 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I want to see Rey wielding a Double-bladed lightsaber. When I think about it, it does suit her skinny physique and would not make the idea of her parrying blows kind of wack.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I want to see Rey wielding a Double-bladed lightsaber. When I think about it, it does suit her skinny physique and would not make the idea of her parrying blows kind of wack.

Like what maul had?     Please not that...  That thing wasn't bad I guess but it was hardcore impractical to use IMO.  

More of an intimidating showpiece to psych out Jedi.  

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Like what maul had?     Please not that...  That thing wasn't bad I guess but it was hardcore impractical to use IMO.  

More of an intimidating showpiece to psych out Jedi.  

A dual bladed sabre - or sabre staff, has some advantages. It's more dangerous to the user, but a competent and skilled user could overcome that.

Certainly some of it is intimidation factor, but it's already Canon that sabre staffs were in at least somewhat common use - the Jedi Temple Guards were all equipped with golden/yellow tinted ones, as shown in The Clone Wars and Rebels.

And we already see Rey being very competent with her traditional staff. Mind you, she'd need to adopt the fighting style since she won't be able to touch the ends, but less of a change than switching from a staff to a sword-like lightsaber.

36 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

The idea of physically overpowering one another doesn't have as much importance between lightsaber duelists. The force. It can enhance your physical abilities. Allow you to throw someone across a room. Or deflect a strike by a much larger opponent.

48 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

A dual bladed sabre - or sabre staff, has some advantages. It's more dangerous to the user, but a competent and skilled user could overcome that.

Certainly some of it is intimidation factor, but it's already Canon that sabre staffs were in at least somewhat common use - the Jedi Temple Guards were all equipped with golden/yellow tinted ones, as shown in The Clone Wars and Rebels.

And we already see Rey being very competent with her traditional staff. Mind you, she'd need to adopt the fighting style since she won't be able to touch the ends, but less of a change than switching from a staff to a sword-like lightsaber.

Canon or not I prefer a standard saber sorry.  ?

I've never seen Rebels.  Is it good?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Canon or not I prefer a standard saber sorry.  ?

I've never seen Rebels.  Is it good?

Haha well you're more than welcome to prefer any type you want. But the producers may not agree with you :P The Sabre Staff is a quite popular fan favourite.

Rebels is decent. Very hit or miss, especially in season 1, but it starts to hit its stride in Season 2. My biggest complaint is that it's very much more oriented around "Adventure of the week". Sure, some overarching arcs appear, but the main plot of most episodes are pretty self contained - at least in season 1 and some of season 2 (just starting season 3 now).

The Clone Wars was like this too at first, but they started to do more and more "arc" episodes (An Arc in clone wars generally lasted 4 episodes, and often multiple arcs were related).

I would personally prefer it if they started to get rid of these standalone episodes and do more of a Season-long arc (Eg: Battlestar Galactica, or Deep Space 9 later seasons, etc).

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Haha well you're more than welcome to prefer any type you want. But the producers may not agree with you :P The Sabre Staff is a quite popular fan favourite.

Rebels is decent. Very hit or miss, especially in season 1, but it starts to hit its stride in Season 2. My biggest complaint is that it's very much more oriented around "Adventure of the week". Sure, some overarching arcs appear, but the main plot of most episodes are pretty self contained - at least in season 1 and some of season 2 (just starting season 3 now).

The Clone Wars was like this too at first, but they started to do more and more "arc" episodes (An Arc in clone wars generally lasted 4 episodes, and often multiple arcs were related).

I would personally prefer it if they started to get rid of these standalone episodes and do more of a Season-long arc (Eg: Battlestar Galactica, or Deep Space 9 later seasons, etc).

To the producers: "You want to stop using lightsaber staves." (that's right I think?) *waves hand in front of them*. ?

I would defintely prefer an evolving story that progresses an overall plot too.  

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The idea of physically overpowering one another doesn't have as much importance between lightsaber duelists. The force. It can enhance your physical abilities. Allow you to throw someone across a room. Or deflect a strike by a much larger opponent.

Yeah but I don't remember a time where it really worked well, I mean, remember the Obi vs Anakin, they had like a force push thing going on and they were acting as hard as they can, like they wanted to touch hands but not be... well you know what I mean lol

anakin-and-obi-wan-o.gif

Also, I remember Yoda vs Count Dooku, if it was as you say and it is canon but they didn't smash each other using sabers, which is what I would want to see really. A cool Darth Maul style fight would be really nice, Rey vs Kylo + Knights of Ren.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

7 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Yeah but I don't remember a time where it really worked well, I mean, remember the Obi vs Anakin, they had like a force push thing going on and they were acting as hard as they can, like they wanted to touch hands but not be... well you know what I mean lol

anakin-and-obi-wan-o.gif

Also, I remember Yoda vs Count Dooku, if it was as you say and it is canon but they didn't smash each other using sabers, which is what I would want to see really. A cool Darth Maul style fight would be really nice, Rey vs Kylo + Knights of Ren.

You're talking about using Force Push, or other variations on Force Telekinesis. I'm talking about physically enhancing your muscles with the energy of the force. Literally picking someone up and throwing them with the force of a pickup truck.

In regards to what you're talking about, Force Users create an unconscious bubble of force energy around themselves that protects themselves against force attacks. You can be overpowered though, by a much stronger foe.

This is why Anakin and Obi-Wan couldn't overpower one another when they had a force pushing contest in the attached picture. They were too evenly matched.

One such example of being overpowered is when Anakin and Obi-Wan confronted Dooku when rescuing Palpatine, Dooku was able to force choke and then throw Obi-Wan unconscious to the ground. Now, normally Obi-Wan probably could have prevented this, but there is a theory that Palpatine had secretly weakened Obi-Wan's defenses with the force (or enhanced Dooku's offensive abilities). Palpatine wanted Obi-Wan out of the way (preferably dead) since it would make corrupting Anakin easier without Obi-Wan's influences.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're talking about using Force Push, or other variations on Force Telekinesis. I'm talking about physically enhancing your muscles with the energy of the force. Literally picking someone up and throwing them with the force of a pickup truck.

In regards to what you're talking about, Force Users create an unconscious bubble of force energy around themselves that protects themselves against force attacks. You can be overpowered though, by a much stronger foe.

This is why Anakin and Obi-Wan couldn't overpower one another when they had a force pushing contest in the attached picture. They were too evenly matched.

One such example of being overpowered is when Anakin and Obi-Wan confronted Dooku when rescuing Palpatine, Dooku was able to force choke and then throw Obi-Wan unconscious to the ground. Now, normally Obi-Wan probably could have prevented this, but there is a theory that Palpatine had secretly weakened Obi-Wan's defenses with the force (or enhanced Dooku's offensive abilities). Palpatine wanted Obi-Wan out of the way (preferably dead) since it would make corrupting Anakin easier without Obi-Wan's influences.

Yeah but still those are some things only fans would know. I'm talking about visuals here, otherwise it would just be one of those movies where fans know it and other movie watchers or new comers won't. If you know what I'm saying. The fact that they've never shown Yoda smashing things physically is evidence to what I'm saying. Well fans could argue Yoda didn't train like that or something, but then how would anyone know really right?

This topic was just about me wanting to see Rey wielding a double-bladed lightsaber because she looks agile and skinny and would definitely look cool. I'm surprised it became a debate about whether or not force users can use the force for strength. I'll have you know that I am aware of this and I'm not arguing whether it was possible or not.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

New promo stuff shows Rey holding Luke's saber

star-wars-the-last-jedi-spoilers-will-re

So there is a possibility that we'll simply see her using a single saber. (Luke probably has a new one though) 

The promo stuff also shows the traitor FN 2187 *Erm* i mean Finn. Wonder how he'll be in the new movie.
Poe too. But he'll be awesome as always i'm guessing.

NE9dDTMYrsgWdd_1_b.jpg

In other news. Christie Golden is working on "Inferno Squad" 

Spoiler

Inferno Squad takes place after the destruction of the first Death Star, and follows a unit that is designed to infiltrate and take down the remaining elements of Saw Gerrera’s Partisans cell, which have been conducting strikes against the Empire. From the description, it looks like it will be putting a solid emphasis on the war part of Star Wars.

I am hyped for its release on the 25th of july. 

And finally. Found my kind of lightsaber. (Although i'd still prefer a saberstaff. Sort of like a lightsaber version of a spear)

DSC_0303_zpsa972215b.jpg&hash=1e4a6391bd

Example of a light spear

7evrphalfsize_zpsn8xcpwxg.jpg

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Han solo movie cast photo (Supposedly)

han-solo-star-wars-story-cast-photo-2336

WOODY HARRELSON! And Emilia clarke. 

Really hoping this is real. 

2 hours ago, techswede said:

Han solo movie cast photo (Supposedly)

han-solo-star-wars-story-cast-photo-2336

WOODY HARRELSON! And Emilia clarke. 

Really hoping this is real. 

Why would you question the authenticity of this photo? It's real. I don't believe we know all the characters that everyone present is playing (Minus the two directors of course, but they could have cameos I suppose), but everyone in this photo has already been confirmed to be in the movie.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Why would you question the authenticity of this photo? It's real. I don't believe we know all the characters that everyone present is playing (Minus the two directors of course, but they could have cameos I suppose), but everyone in this photo has already been confirmed to be in the movie.

Haven't really kept up with the production of that particular film. So i was unsure about the authenticity.