Desktop won't post

mpsparrow

Yo LTT, Merry Christmas!

I am in the process of building my new Christmas pc. Here is the parts list. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGX7Gf

(GPU is being added later for you GPU freaks)

So I have put it all together and now it is not posting. It does the black screen thing.

I tested to make sure that it wasn't the screen, I also tried resetting the memory and removing my SSD. What else should I try? I am starting to think that perhaps the memory isn't capable with the motherboard... any suggestions are welcome.

Your RAM is certainly compatible with your motherboard but it might not be functioning correctly. Do you have any other ram lying around you can use to test is that is the issue?

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

1 minute ago, Speshul_ said:

Your RAM is certainly compatible with your motherboard but it might not be functioning correctly. Do you have any other ram lying around you can use to test is that is the issue?

I do... let me go up and see if I can grab one from another computer...

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Yo LTT, Merry Christmas!

I am in the process of building my new Christmas pc. Here is the parts list. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BGX7Gf

(GPU is being added later for you GPU freaks)

So I have put it all together and now it is not posting. It does the black screen thing.

I tested to make sure that it wasn't the screen, I also tried resetting the memory and removing my SSD. What else should I try? I am starting to think that perhaps the memory isn't capable with the motherboard... any suggestions are welcome.

Make sure your ram is installed correctly. Make sure you have your fan for your cpu plugged into the cpu fan header as the computer will turn itself off for safety reasons. Also make sure the monitor is on the right input and that you have it plugged into your gpu

Just make sure it is DDR4 and desktop size (288 pin)

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Make sure your ram is installed correctly. Make sure you have your fan for your cpu plugged into the cpu fan header as the computer will turn itself off for safety reasons. Also make sure the monitor is on the right input and that you have it plugged into your gpu

Scratch that you don't have a GPU

I'm not trying to be annoying but recheck ALL power and DATA connections to the mainboard.  I mean ALL of them.  Is the cpu header connected to the cpu and not the pci-e one?  Is the cpu header connected?  <--This has bitten me more than once.  Is the single ram chip in the optimal slot for that board? 

Laws only govern the honest.

54 minutes ago, acturisme said:

I'm not trying to be annoying but recheck ALL power and DATA connections to the mainboard.  I mean ALL of them.  Is the cpu header connected to the cpu and not the pci-e one?  Is the cpu header connected?  <--This has bitten me more than once.  Is the single ram chip in the optimal slot for that board? 

56 minutes ago, Speshul_ said:

Just make sure it is DDR4 and desktop size (288 pin)

56 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

All the fans are plugged into the proper spots.

I need to wait a little bit for the person to be done with there computer and then I shall take a ddr4 memory stick out and try that.

I don't have any SSD's HDD or M.2 installed. So storage devices are installed yet.

Update: Looks like an old bios version is not capable with that memory stick. Updating bios in hopes of it working.

2 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Update: Looks like an old bios version is not capable with that memory stick. Updating bios in hopes of it working.

Good luck brave soul.  jk you'll be fine.  Unless the power goes out in the middle of the rewrite. :D

1 minute ago, acturisme said:

Good luck brave soul.  jk you'll be fine.  Unless the power goes out in the middle of the rewrite. :D

LOL, if that happens I will burn it.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

LOL, if that happens I will burn it.

I got matches and I'm snowed in ATM.  Let's do it!

Ok, I downloaded the most recent bios and installed it, and now neither memory sticks are working...

It is flashing between the CPU led and the MemOK led. Reading up that says that it is still a memory issue.....

Gosh, this almost sounds like a mainboard issue.  ??? 

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

Is there a way to flash bios without accessing the bios?

Noooo......unless you have a dual bios system.

Just now, acturisme said:

Gosh, this almost sounds like a mainboard issue.  ??? 

Noooo......unless you have a dual bios system.

What is a dual bios system?

Is there a bent pin in the memory slot that you are using?  Or a piece of dust or fur?

Just now, acturisme said:

Is there a bent pin in the memory slot that you are using?  Or a piece of dust or fur?

Maybe, but I have tried two different memory sticks in all four slots...

Just now, mpsparrow said:

What is a dual bios system?

Some new mobo's have a second bios chip that you can physically switch to if you have a bad bios write event.  That way you almost can't brick your mobo.  Not all of them have this feature but it is useful in the event of a bios crash.

2 minutes ago, acturisme said:

Some new mobo's have a second bios chip that you can physically switch to if you have a bad bios write event.  That way you almost can't brick your mobo.  Not all of them have this feature but it is useful in the event of a bios crash.

Ok, yeah, I was just reading about it. So then how do I switch to the second bios? Does the Asus z170-a have this feature?

There is a GOD!!!! Removing the motherboard battery waiting two minutes and putting it back in appears to have fixed it or switched it to the second bios or something...

Ok then, there was a setting in the bios that that memory doesn't like.

No, well the 16GB stick still doesn't work... thinking of just returning it for something for generic so that it will work. But the 8GB stick that I took from another computer is working again on the bios update.