Desktop won't post

mpsparrow

The bios on that board looks really advanced.  If the board is not reading the XMP data from the memory correctly it may be writing timings to the bios that are not compatible with that memory stick.  You may try to manually input the timings if you know what you are doing.  It won't hurt anything if it doesn't work unless you start messing around with voltages. 

Laws only govern the honest.

1 minute ago, acturisme said:

The bios on that board looks really advanced.  If the board is not reading the XMP data from the memory correctly it may be writing timings to the bios that are not compatible with that memory stick.  You may try to manually input the timings if you know what you are doing.  It won't hurt anything if it doesn't work unless you start messing around with voltages. 

Ok, let me try that.

btw, I appreciate your help solving this problem. I came on here expecting no one to be one since it is Christmas.

I wasn't kidding about being snowed in and there is only so much Destiny and Christmas movies one man can stand before diving back into the bowels of the internet.  Also, I enjoy building systems so I spread the knowledge around.  I'm like a tech support Santa.  Or was that Satan?  Can't remember.  Anyway...

How I am suppose to change the timing if I can't access the bios with that memory stick? Put the other one in, change the timing, and then pop the 16GB stick back in?

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

How I am suppose to change the timing if I can't access the bios with that memory stick? Put the other one in, change the timing, and then pop the 16GB stick back in?

Are the memory stick's timings the same?

1 minute ago, acturisme said:

Are the memory stick's timings the same?

Good question, let me check...

Also the bios has a setting by which it reads the XMP data off of the memory sticks directly.  If that is currently turned OFF then it won't do that.  Some bios' xmp settings are off by default and I don't know why.  It's insane.  But that may be your whole problem right there.

The two sets are

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/xhM323/kingston-memory-hx421c14fbk216

and

https://www.amazon.ca/Ballistix-Sport-Single-PC4-19200-288-Pin/dp/B01DPSQPF2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Crucial is the one that isn't working.

I am working off of a slow laptop, so I can't seem to find the timing for them and it is taking forever. Perhaps you can find them...

4 minutes ago, acturisme said:

Also the bios has a setting by which it reads the XMP data off of the memory sticks directly.  If that is currently turned OFF then it won't do that.  Some bios' xmp settings are off by default and I don't know why.  It's insane.  But that may be your whole problem right there.

I do see some XMP settings. Let me see if I can get it to work by changing it.

Just now, acturisme said:

CAS is 16-16-16 and voltage is 1.2v

For the Crucial Ballistix

changed it, put in the Crucial Ballistix, nothing happens still...

Perhaps I should just order a new set of memory and return this one.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

changed it, put in the Crucial Ballistix, nothing happens still...

I think you have a dead stick.  F---!  :(

I think you have a dead stick.  F---!  :(

Yeah....

I ordered it through Amazon Prime on the 5th of December, so I can still return it. Perhaps I will try my luck at a different brand as well. Just went for this because it was the cheapest stick at the time.

Crucial is usually really good.  Kingston is good but generally not sexy.  GSkill isn't too bad.  HyperX is nice.  Go nutz!

Crucial is usually really good.  Kingston is good but generally not sexy.  GSkill isn't too bad.  HyperX is nice.  Go nutz!

Yeah, buying Crucial I thought I would be good... guess not. That or it just isn't capable somehow with the Asus z170-a. I don't care about looks because I don't have a fancy case (Corsair 200r). So probably just going to go with a cheap stick from a good brand.

2 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Yeah, buying Crucial I thought I would be good... guess not. That or it just isn't capable somehow with the Asus z170-a. I don't care about looks because I don't have a fancy case (Corsair 200r). So probably just going to go with a cheap stick from a good brand.

Remember to check mobo memory compatablility!!!

Remember to check mobo memory compatablility!!!

I WILL!!!!!! and thank you for all your help tonight. Have a good rest of the night and Merry Christmas.