Transfer Windows key from HP laptop to use in custom built desktop?

Thedudely1

My friend has an HP Envy M6 laptop that shipped with Windows 8, I believe. Although, he upgraded it to Windows 10 when that whole fiasco was going on. I've heard different things from different people about weather or not he would be able to use the Windows key from his laptop on his desktop. Obviously, not with the intention of using both simultaneously. I've heard that the key is bound to the motherboard of the laptop and may not be used anywhere else, but I've also heard that you can call Microsoft and tell them that you got a replacement motherboard and that allows you to use the key on any new computer. Anyway, can he use the key from his laptop in a fresh install in his desktop? Thanks!

TL;DR: Can you transfer a Windows key from an HP Envy 6 laptop for use in a self built desktop? Only using the key in one computer at a time, of course.

OEM keys were more hard coded to the hardware from windows 8 and on since the product key is hard coded into the BIOS and wouldn't work on another PC.

80% chance that key is locked to mobo. 20% chance that its connected to MS account. There are still too much variables and conflicting info to be sure. If your frriend has paid over $200 for GPU, just tell him to stop being cheap and buy retail Win10 for $110. OS will stay the same after 1 or 2 GPU changes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

80% chance that key is locked to mobo. 20% chance that its connected to MS account. There are still too much variables and conflicting info to be sure. If your frriend has paid over $200 for GPU, just tell him to stop being cheap and buy retail Win10 for $110. OS will stay the same after 1 or 2 GPU changes.

Yeah, very true. I think that's what we're going to end up doing. Thanks!