Going "Neutral" in shooters

Rhinnw

If you have 5 kills and 2 deaths, you go positive

If you have 2 kills and 5 deaths, you go negative

but if you have 5 kills and 5 deaths, do you call it neutral or just positive?

I call it neutral, but this post really belongs in Gaming sections. If you think about it, even if you go "negative" your KDR is still a positive number. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

9 minutes ago, Rhinnw said:

Neutral. Your K/D is 5/5, which is 0, which is not a positive or negative number.

EDIT: To clarify, to all intents and purposes your K/D is zero. I know 5/5 isn't 0.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Neutral. Your K/D is 5/5, which is 0, which is not a positive or negative number.

5/5=1 though? This is the discussion I'm having with someone lol, I think it's called neutral though

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

No matter what if you divide a positive number by any positive number the result will be positive, even if you are going "negative". So neutral is when you are neither below or above one. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

1 hour ago, Rhinnw said:

5/5=1 though? This is the discussion I'm having with someone lol, I think it's called neutral though

I know, I edited my original post. To all intents and purposes, your K/D is zero because there is no difference (zero difference) between your kills and your deaths. You have died one time for each of your kills, and you have killed one time for each of your deaths. It goes both ways.

1 hour ago, Cyndre1033 said:

No matter what if you divide a positive number by any positive number the result will be positive, even if you are going "negative". So neutral is when you are neither below or above one. 

Read my edit. I know 5/5 doesn't actually = 0 lol :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Read my edit. I know 5/5 doesn't actually = 0 lol :P

Oh my bad I quoted it before the edit lol. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

4 minutes ago, Rhinnw said:

its 5:5 and thats the same as 1:1, its neutral

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wait, what if while your KDR (kills divided by deaths) is based on division, the way you are going (positive, negative, neutral) is based on subtraction? Than you actually ARE negative when you have more deaths than kills, and you ARE neutral when you have the same? Mind BLOWN. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

28 minutes ago, Rhinnw said:

Are we talking strictly in a numerical sense? Or are we talking impact on a match? K:D ratio's are less important in some shooters (Overwatch being an example) as it has less to do with how many kills you have, or how often you die, and more to do with the impact of your kills/deaths. If you have say, 5 kills, 7 deaths, but one of those 5 kills were a game changing strategic pick, it did far more for the match than say, someone with a decent K:D ratio that picked off random people.

If we are talking strictly in a numerical sense, 5 kills and 5 deaths is neutral, you broke even. Think of it as a +5 and -5 value. Using PEMDAS, you start with addition, then subtraction. So base is 0, +5 makes it 5, then -5 makes it 0. In this sense, Kill's represent an addition value, deaths represent a subtraction value. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I have always considered being above 1 a positive K/D and under a negative. If someone just has a 5K and 5D I call it 1 K/D. Seems I'm in the minority here but I've heard it called a 1 K/D by many people or a "standard score." I've heard standard score because when you first join the match you have 0K and 0D. If you later have 5K and 5D then its a standard score. Considering everyone else I suppose this answer isn't the best but it's what I've always heard it called.

10 minutes ago, Tm_Carbon said:

I have always considered being above 1 a positive K/D and under a negative. If someone just has a 5K and 5D I call it 1 K/D. Seems I'm in the minority here but I've heard it called a 1 K/D by many people or a "standard score." I've heard standard score because when you first join the match you have 0K and 0D. If you later have 5K and 5D then its a standard score. Considering everyone else I suppose this answer isn't the best but it's what I've always heard it called.

Except if you have 0 kills and 0 deaths you don't have a kdr of 1. Your KDR is undefined because any number, even 0, divided by 0 is undefined.

33 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Except if you have 0 kills and 0 deaths you don't have a kdr of 1. Your KDR is undefined because any number, even 0, divided by 0 is undefined.

If you divide 0 by 0, you have an infinite number of values that can be used. Even infinity itself can be used to get 0. But if you divide any other number by 0, then nothing works. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you divide 0 by 0, you have an infinite number of values that can be used. Even infinity itself can be used to get 0. But if you divide any other number by 0, then nothing works. 

While intuition may say that's true, Mathematical theory states that 0/0 is nondefined for various reasons such as breaking arithmetic.

KDR and going Positive/Negative aren't 100% the same thing. If you go positive, you've had more kills than deaths, negative is vise versa, and if you have the same number of kills and deaths, it's often called EVEN in my experience. It's just the simple equation of Kills - Deaths = Pos/Neg/Even

KDR is just how many kills you average per death, and does have a tight relation to going positive or not.

32 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Most games now consider 0 kills and 0 (or any number) deaths as a KDR of 0, because the number being divided is 0. Can't have a KDR higher than 0 if you don't get a kill.

It doesn't work the other way around though, because the game goes on the assumption that the character would eventually die (if in game, just due to a longer game, if applying the logic of real life, old age), and thus substitutes the 0 for a 1 for D.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

While intuition may say that's true, Mathematical theory states that 0/0 is nondefined for various reasons such as breaking arithmetic.

Indeed, it still cannot be determined as you can plug in any value and get the same answer. There isn't one number that brings it together compared to something like 15/3. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Dont think about your KD ratio or end match stats, focus your mindset on mastering the game, helping your team even if you gonna die a lot and getting better at it. I used to care only about stats when i played Battlefield and in the end became a liability to my team by avoding hard to get objectives.