Question to the 90´s Gamers out there

Praesi

When I was 16, I remembered playing need for speed most wanted (original one) for hours without internet. And after that was hours and hours of warcraft 3, and I am not even good at it. School--videogames--lots and lots of soda. My roommate is a freaking legend. Everytime he went back home from school, (at 4 or 5) he will open his laptop and starts playing warcraft 3. He can keep playing it the whole night, and close his laptop at 6:45 am. Then he brush his teeth, go to school like a zombie. And sleeps his way through school. That was 2007.

And fast forward to 2017, I'm 26 years old. And I just sold my gaming pc for a $1000+ and got myself a MacBook Pro. I'm just not into gaming anymore... everything is so repetitive. All the explosions and flashing screens makes me tired. LOL. I felt that gaming is a task I need to complete, not a fun thing to do anymore....  I rather watch stream and see other people climbing the ladder on league of legends and get frustrated. lol. I wrote a similar thread on this forum a few years ago. And a lot of people here felt the same way. I think it is an age thing. Your lifestyle changes as you grow. And there is nothing wrong with it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

A lot of it is probably nostalgia. Online gaming was pretty new in the 90's. There were tons of fresh IPs and concepts that we had never seen before. Many of today's games aren't far off from the more noteworthy games that we had in the 90's and early 2000's, so the feeling of today's games being lacking is probably due to having stuck with many of the core elements that were once fresh over a decade ago.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

2 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

A lot of it is probably nostalgia. Online gaming was pretty new in the 90's. There were tons of fresh IPs and concepts that we had never seen before. Many of today's games aren't far off from the more noteworthy games that we had in the 90's and early 2000's, so the feeling of today's games being lacking is probably due to having stuck with many of the core elements that were once fresh over a decade ago.

I don't agree. Imho, things started going wrong when 3D became mainstream. Suddenly everything had to be 3D, even things that don't fit. An example would be fallout. It's a role playing game. Whether or not I hit my opponent should come down squarely to stats, which it did in the 2D isometric originals, and it felt natural. In the current 3D (shooter) fallouts hitting or not is not down to stats, it comes down on how good your quake skillz are, that changes the character of the game. And there are tons more of examples: Command & conquer and company, the 2D games felt and played great. Then all those RTS games HAD to be 3D, and suddenly it did not feel right anymore. Hard to pin down, asif 3D units are too cumbersome, too complex, it just does not feel so good as it once did.

Don't get me wrong, 3D has it's time and place, but i feel a lot of genres were butchered on the 3D altar.

(currently playing fallout 1.5, the mod, and it feels as right as it ever did. Fallout 4 tough ... me-eh)

Xcom was one of the rare gems that managed to bring back the feeling of the original, so it's definitely not nostalgia; it can be done, but somehow it seems hard to get that x-factor.

As someone who is of the older persuasion I think most of it came down to the fact that in the earlier days of online multiplayer there weren't a bunch of 12 year olds screaming at you constantly because the parents wouldn't let them on the family computer or they just didn't have internet. Gotta remember in the 90s internet in a home setting was still quite rare. I mean even in certain games in the mid 2000s when I played as a parent where I would have to take breaks for kid time, my teammates didn't get mad (city of heroes had the best community) and now every game if you aren't the best you are berated by children which is annoying AF. And I don't just blame the kids mind you, there are also the elitist assholes who take this stuff too seriously and think they are playing professionally.

/End rant

I like to play older games. Actually the first PC game I played was Call of Duty 1. I still play from time to time as well as Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam. I know what you mean about the time limits. When I was playing Call of Duty 1 multiplayer me and my friends would get on after school and play for hours and most weekends were 48 hour gaming sessions with little nap breaks.

I am currently 33 years old and married. I still on occasion play games online. You're right, games now days are not good like the ones back in the 90's/early 2000/s. I do miss the old days of the big LAN Parties that me and my friends used to have. We occasionally have one, but it's small and not nearly as exciting (Maybe 5 at the most show up)

What I'm missing in general are LAN parties and proper arena shooters LAN parties. Unreal tournament was the shit for me. Nowadays the communities went to shit, most games are made for profit and many don't have the passion in them if you know what I mean. Games in 90s/early 2000s actually introduced something new, but with games these days we've seen those things dozens of times in a different package. It gets bored quickly.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Man your old ;), I think its an age thin my friend. At 32 I'm still an avid PC gamer, but I get board after a few hours. Plus we have seen and played every type of game out there

and regardless how fancy the graphics look, there still the same game.

I think that's why I enjoy PUBG so much, a FPS but completely different to any game I played before. Same went for ARK survival evolved. Spent hours just sitting on a dino

harvesting materials, at a nice slow old mans pace. So I think really or from my experience try different games. 

PC specs: CPU: i7 6800k Hex Core, GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti, Motherboard: Asus X99 A-ii ,PSU: Corsair 650watt Platinum
Ram: 4x4gb DDR4 2666mhz, Case: Corsair (Something), Storage: 256gb M.2 3200 write/ 1200 Read, 1 TB Crucial SSD, 2TB HDD