Is this safe?

Our family owns a Synology DS415+. Had it since last Christmas and it has done us great. 4 x 2TB WD Reds in Raid 5. Seeing as there are six of us currently using the NAS, I am a little afraid that the NAS will be a bottleneck. We all stream music and pictures off of it, along with backing up all our computers.

The Intel Atom Quad Core 2.4 GHz Processor is plenty powerful, although the 2GB of memory is going to be the problem. There are ways to upgrade the memory that seem quite simple and straightforward, but is it safe for the data on the hdd and for the NAS? I am not worried about the warranty, it is almost over anyway.

should work without any problems but i have no idea about warranty.

The thing is just for the kind of workload you mentioned the ram will never be an issue, your bottleneck will always be the network itself.

The only way to go around this issue is a switch that supports link aggregation this will move the bottleneck to the individual connections of the PC from the switch on rather then being bottlenecked directly at the Diskstations Lan port.

are all PC´s connect via lan?

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

should work without any problems but i have no idea about warranty.

The thing is just for the kind of workload you mentioned the ram will never be an issue, your bottleneck will always be the network itself.

The only way to go around this issue is a switch that supports link aggregation this will move the bottleneck to the individual connections of the PC from the switch on rather then being bottlenecked directly at the Diskstations Lan port.

are all PC´s connect via lan?

The DS415+ has dual link aggregation. Three of them are, about 10 of the devices are phones or laptops.

Yea most diskstations support link aggregation, just almost nobody has a switch that also supports it, it only works if both sides support it and are configured correctly.

Beside the normal 1Gbit network bottleneck there should be no issue with that NAS, more RAM will do nothing for you.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

Yea most diskstations support link aggregation, just almost nobody has a switch that also supports it, it only works if both sides support it and are configured correctly.

Beside the normal 1Gbit network bottleneck there should be no issue with that NAS, more RAM will do nothing for you.

If you say so...

I guess I will keep monitoring the stats as we start using the NAS more to see if it gets really bad or something.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

If you say so...

you can see this easily by yourself and also by common sense, do stuff with files from the nas on all PC and if you want on a few phones as well and see what the nas does.

You will see slight increases in CPU usage and maybe a little more ram usage but after all the bottleneck will be that the LAN prt can only push out 1Gbit/s and every connect device has to share this speed.

If you want to increase the speed when more than one user is pulling files you should get a switch that supports link aggregation, this will enable you to have 2 users pull the full 1Gbit/s that their own LAN port is capable of.