What speed of RAM should I get?

Okjoek

I'm planning for a future ITX build for Kaby lake or Ryzen and I'm going to have 2 sticks of DDR4 totaling 16GB, but IDK what speed would mean good performance for this PC. It's going to be a mainstream compact machine possibly with an APU, but IDK yet if that makes a difference for what RAM speed I should get. Gaming will probably be light, maybe some Esports titles.

With an apu probabbly ddr4 3000 will probabbly give you the best performance, igpus like faster ram.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

There's Linus's video about this where he proves that there's a marginal difference between DDR4 and DDR3. This means that it doesn't matter how fast your RAM's gonna be since the slowest DDR4 is still faster than DDR3 which is more than capable of running triple A titles as it is.

Just now, Verrierr said:

There's Linus's video about this where he proves that there's a marginal difference between DDR4 and DDR3. This means that it doesn't matter how fast your RAM's gonna be since the slowest DDR4 is still faster than DDR3 which is more than capable of running triple A titles as it is.

true but as @slayr pointed out APUs use system memory as VRAM ergo faster = better.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

true but as @slayr pointed out APUs use system memory as VRAM ergo faster = better.

faster=better is always true for everything. Any speed of DDR4 will still be enough.

Just now, Verrierr said:

faster=better is always true for everything. Any speed of DDR4 will still be enough.

not always *wink wink* but yeah if the op can get faster ram then definitely take it.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

With an apu probabbly ddr4 3000 will probabbly give you the best performance, igpus like faster ram.

Okay thanks. IDK if that's how I'll go yet. I haven't seen any of Kaby Lake's iGPU performance so IDK if they've made any gains, but I am also eager to see what AMD's will look like with Polaris, but even with their R7 I think they beat whatever Intel was using, but I could be wrong.