Should I upgrade to Kaby Lake or wait another generation?

Go to solution Solved by Techicolors,

it's an interesting time to upgrade your CPU, because Ryzen is so close. i would wait a little longer and see if it's worth the hype. 

I have a Xeon 1231 v3 that I somewhat regret buying when I could have shelled out $100 more for the 4790k. I have it in a Z97 board anyway, I just didn't see myself overclocking at that point. I mean, it's not like I'm getting awful performance (with an R9 390) except for in modded fallout 4, which to be fair, if I would ever go in and tweak settings that wouldn't be as bad. 

I feel like maybe this CPU is holding my rig back a little. So I could save up the money to upgrade when Kaby Lake is readily available, or I could just ride it out until this thing really starts being a choke point in my system. How much do you suspect the Xeon is holding it back?

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

it's an interesting time to upgrade your CPU, because Ryzen is so close. i would wait a little longer and see if it's worth the hype. 

I'd wait till you feel like you need a faster cpu. If you're okay with what you have, wait. The longer you wait, the better your upgrade options will be and the longer they'll last (and the more money you'll save).

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

I'd wait at least one more generation, unless you just need the newer architectures, available number of PCIE lanes, or instruction sets I don't see a quad core with hyperthreading at 3.4Ghz bottlenecking anything.

9 minutes ago, AmbellinaThePrise said:

I have a Xeon 1231 v3 that I somewhat regret buying when I could have shelled out $100 more for the 4790k. I have it in a Z97 board anyway, I just didn't see myself overclocking at that point. I mean, it's not like I'm getting awful performance (with an R9 390) except for in modded fallout 4, which to be fair, if I would ever go in and tweak settings that wouldn't be as bad. 

I feel like maybe this CPU is holding my rig back a little. So I could save up the money to upgrade when Kaby Lake is readily available, or I could just ride it out until this thing really starts being a choke point in my system. How much do you suspect the Xeon is holding it back?

Well looking on arc they look pretty close in terms pure spec.  your only really lacking in clockrate, the advantage with the zeon is the ECC memory support. 

https://ark.intel.com/compare/80807,80910

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

I'd wait at least one more generation, unless you just need the newer architectures, available number of PCIE lanes, or instruction sets I don't see a quad core with hyperthreading at 3.4Ghz bottlenecking anything.

I guess it's probably just seeing people with i7 6700k with a bit of an OC managing better frames in games like GTA and Fallout 4 than me. Of course some of those Fallout 4 vids I'm not sure of their mod list or their video settings so that probably plays a lot into it. I do know I should have went with the 4790k in the first place. Ah well, live and learn. 

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

16 minutes ago, AmbellinaThePrise said:

that's why back when I was more active with giving suggested builds in the build help forum I always disagreed with people that always suggested that Xeon over a 4790k

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

2 minutes ago, AmbellinaThePrise said:

I guess it's probably just seeing people with i7 6700k with a bit of an OC managing better frames in games like GTA and Fallout 4 than me. Of course some of those Fallout 4 vids I'm not sure of their mod list or their video settings so that probably plays a lot into it. I do know I should have went with the 4790k in the first place. Ah well, live and learn. 

how much better? and is that increase enough to justify the HUNDREDS of DOLLARS you will have to spend to upgrade? I mean if you are still get playable frame rates at your resolution does it really matter?

Kaby Lake sees no significant improvements over Skylake so it sure isn't worth the premium to go Kaby Lake when it launches in 2 weeks and we've yet to see real numbers from Ryzen, not some overvolting at stock base clock to keep it stable crap like the one at the Horizon event was. Honestly unless you just need the framrates to keep games playable I'd hold out until the next die shrink.

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

how much better? and is that increase enough to justify the HUNDREDS of DOLLARS you will have to spend to upgrade? I mean if you are still get playable frame rates at your resolution does it really matter?

Kaby Lake sees no significant improvements over Skylake so it sure isn't worth the premium to go Kaby Lake when it launches in 2 weeks and we've yet to see real numbers from Ryzen, not some overvolting at stock base clock to keep it stable crap like the one at the Horizon event was. Honestly unless you just need the framrates to keep games playable I'd hold out until the next die shrink.

About 10 fps in GTA, and about 15 FPS more in Fallout 4 where I see drops as low as 28 FPS, with an average of around 40. They were sitting closer to 60 most of the time. Again, I don't know if they were running any texture optimization mods or whatever either.  You have a point though. Awful lot of money for an upgrade that won't really overhaul my performance. If I were going to upgrade anything my GPU would be the only sensible thing right now.

2 minutes ago, AmbellinaThePrise said:

About 10 fps in GTA, and about 15 FPS more in Fallout 4 where I see drops as low as 28 FPS, with an average of around 40. They were sitting closer to 60 most of the time. Again, I don't know if they were running any texture optimization mods or whatever either.  You have a point though. Awful lot of money for an upgrade that won't really overhaul my performance. If I were going to upgrade anything my GPU would be the only sensible thing right now.

Might be better to wait till you can budget a FULL PC rebuild, If you want to upgrade CPU, Motherboard and RAM might as well wait till you have the budget for a GPU that would make the total investment worth it.