Can LGA 1155 cpu work on LGA 1151 motherboard?

Can LGA 1155 cpu work on LGA 1151 motherboard? because Im planning to upgrade my motherboard.So can a older cpu work on newer motherboard?

Non

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 minutes ago, MarkLuw11 said:

Can LGA 1155 cpu work on LGA 1151 motherboard? because Im planning to upgrade my motherboard.So can a older cpu work on newer motherboard?

I will just add my nope on top of the others.

The socket is what defines which CPU's can fit in which mobos. (LGA 1155 literally means that the CPU has 1155 contacts on the bottom and the mobo has a matching number of pins on it for said contacts, in a "Land Grid Array" configuration.)

When in doubt, re-format.

The sockets are physically and electrically distinct. I don't think the CPU would even fit, and you'd probably destroy it by trying. Matching a CPU to its compatible socket is a holy law of PC building.

Totally. You just need an adapter and Jesus.

No. No it won't. Please don't try this.

Why? Just curious.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The connections don't match. e.g., pin 23 on an LGA 1155 could be power, while pin 23 on an LGA 1151 could be ground. Oops, you've just shorted your CPU and blew it up.

2 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

different socket, which means different internal wiring

No, why he wants to do it, I know it's different sockets with different layouts and whatnot.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

35 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Totally. You just need an adapter and Jesus.

No. No it won't. Please don't try this.

actually an adapter can work though. only on the old LGA 775 motherboards. put a 771 Xeon in there by modding the motherboard and slapping an adapter on the 771 CPU, then make custom bios to add support and volla! 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

29 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

actually an adapter can work though. only on the old LGA 775 motherboards. put a 771 Xeon in there by modding the motherboard and slapping an adapter on the 771 CPU, then make custom bios to add support and volla! 

That's the only case, and you don't use adapters- you just need to remove a few pins or cover the corresponding contact points on the CPU.

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

That's because the LGA 771 CPUs were LGA 775 CPUs with fewer pins That won't work in this case.

For example here's a diagram depicting the difference between LGA 1156 and LGA 1155

LGA_1155_vs_1156.png

Oh,so that means I do really have to buy new pc. Thankyou guys