scrapyard build : lowest cpu not bottlenecking a RX480

kuzko

Hello guys !

Alright, I got a little bit of cash, It's time I put my time with the crappy Nvidia mobile GPUS and MSI crappy service behind me.

I got on the french craigslist an In Win 901(beautiful case) but the internal components are still left out in planning except one, the gpu.

I want to do a RX480 build, my only unknown in the equation is what cpu would be decent enough to not bottleneck that card without breaking the bank? 

I live in the EU, so because the scrapyard market is quite something else here I'm only looking for "decent enough and up" in terms of performance, the price is another thing.

If anyone want to share info with me, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks and have fun.

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

Look for an i7-920 or similar LGA 1366 i7. Also Xeons for that platform.

Or an LGA 1155 i7 2600 or 3770

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

if you're looking for decent and up, what kind of budget are you looking to invest in a cpu? with how the market is, at least here in the US, intel chips 3 generations back are still holding 80% of their original value. An i5-4460 is still $180 and I bought it new for 200... so if its the same wherever you are, I would be looking at an early am3 chip.

My suggestion: Wait for Ryzen Q1 next year.

If you can hold out until then, You'll have a new generation of CPUs from AMD to look at, as well as discounted FX and Phenom CPUs.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, lettuce head said:

if you're looking for decent and up, what kind of budget are you looking to invest in a cpu? with how the market is, at least here in the US, intel chips 3 generations back are still holding 80% of their original value. An i5-4460 is still $180 and I bought it new for 200... so if its the same wherever you are, I would be looking at an early am3 chip.

Like I said, the price is not what I'm focusing on, I'll invest what I need, maybe a grade higher just in case, but the performance aspect of the bottlenecking is the most important

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

1 minute ago, Dargenfire said:

My suggestion: Wait for Ryzen Q1 next year.

If you can hold out until then, You'll have a new generation of CPUs from AMD to look at, as well as discounted FX and Phenom CPUs.

You're certainly right, but my issue is not to wait or not, I'll wait for the good ime windows, but what to choose exactly...

1 minute ago, kuzko said:

Like I said, the price is not what I'm focusing on, I'll invest what I need, maybe a grade higher just in case, but the performance aspect of the bottlenecking is the most important

as energycore said then, I think an lga 1366 i7 would be a pretty solid starting point.

I'm using a A8-5600K with a RX 470 and it showed some bottlenecking...

You could probably find a FX-8320+ AM3+ combo for around 150-200 euros.

4 minutes ago, kuzko said:

The best bang for buck is probably one of those $250 Haswell Xeon 1231 v3s

Edit: typo

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The best bang for buck is probably one of those $150 Haswell Xeon 1231 v3s

See, here is the perfect example of why I'm only willing to talk about performance, in france, the best offer I can find for this CPU model is 235€, not really in the 150$ range

See, here is the perfect example of why I'm only willing to talk about performance, in france, the best offer I can find for this CPU model is 235€, not really in the 150$ range

Edited my post. 235 euro is actually pretty good price for it.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Edited my post. 235 euro is actually pretty good price for it.

well, for that price I could certainly get a decent Haswell I5 so I don't know... but thanks that's now on my list of possibilities!

well, for that price I could certainly get a decent Haswell I5 so I don't know... but thanks that's now on my list of possibilities!

Are you kidding? That xeon is basically a Haswell i7, why would you want an i5 instead xD

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Are you kidding? That xeon is basically a Haswell i7, why would you want an i5 instead xD

Yup did not look at ARK quite thorougly... and my 235 euros deal is gone.. 285 is now the least I can find ... but I'm curious, can a FCLGA1150 cpu get in a "simple" LGA1150 mobo?

2 minutes ago, kuzko said:

Yup did not look at ARK quite thorougly... and my 235 euros deal is gone.. 285 is now the least I can find ... but I'm curious, can a FCLGA1150 cpu get in a "simple" LGA1150 mobo?

FCLGA is the same, just a fancier name.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler