Intel Skull Canyon vs AsRock Deskmini 110

alinescoo

Hi all,

I am a developer and primarily using the PC to software development. I want a compact machine that sits on my desktop and it's small and silent.

So far I have come across 2 barebones which may (or may not :) ) deliver what I need.

Intel Skull Canyon + very compact

+ good CPU, from what I've read the performance is about -20% fron i7 6700 desktop CPU

+ good GPU, at least better than the one in desktop CPUs

- some reviews say that is loud and noisy and I plan on having it on my desk, near my monitor

- temperatures seem to be too high even on idle, speaking from reviews

- expensive

AsRock Deskmini 110 mini-stx system

+ possibility to add a desktop CPU up to 65W TDP with stock or aftermaket cooler

+ better cooling

- slower GPU, not a Iris Pro

- good price

Beside the barebone, there will be:

- 16 GB SoDimm DDR4

- Samsung 960 EVO M2 PCIe SSD 250 GB

In the AsRock I can throw even a 65W TDP dektop CPU but I am not sure how the stock cooler would handle the heat. Also there are other alternatives like i7 6700T or i5 6500T. 

I'd love to hear your advice on this. Thank you very much.

I've looked at prices and a AsRockDeskMini+i7 6700T which basically makes a barebone, is cheaper with about 200$ than the NUC. Rest of the components are the same. This means that I can get the AsRock system + Windows 10 + a better CPU cooler at around the same price as Skull Canyon alone... However I loose on GPU. Not sure exactly how i7 6700T compares to i7 6770HQ.

Hard to decide...

6 minutes ago, alinescoo said:

I've looked at prices and a AsRockDeskMini+i7 6700T which basically makes a barebone, is cheaper with about 200$ than the NUC. Rest of the components are the same. This means that I can get the AsRock system + Windows 10 + a better CPU cooler at around the same price as Skull Canyon alone... However I loose on GPU. Not sure exactly how i7 6700T compares to i7 6770HQ.

Hard to decide...

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Iris-Pro-580-Mobile-Skylake-vs-Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake/m132950vsm33102

Gpu is actually considerablly better in the skull canyon...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2614&cmp[]=2759

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700T-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ/m36439vsm34954

CPU is more or less equal so...you're not really getting a better CPU going with the asrock...

Frankly it's down to whether that improvement in iGPU is important for you, if it is then...skull canyon else the asrock will do fine :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Thank you for your reply. The main things keeping me away from skull canyon are the possibility of being noisy and the price. The price would not bother me if the performance would worth it. Thank you for the links, indeed the GPU is better on nuc but I somehow doubt that it will have any real usage, except for old games...

4 hours ago, alinescoo said:

Thank you for your reply. The main things keeping me away from skull canyon are the possibility of being noisy and the price. The price would not bother me if the performance would worth it. Thank you for the links, indeed the GPU is better on nuc but I somehow doubt that it will have any real usage, except for old games...

Well it's like the difference between 30fps at 1080p low and 55~fps at 1080p low on triple As...so you know, there is a difference :P 

Also plis quote when replying

11 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it's like the difference between 30fps at 1080p low and 55~fps at 1080p low on triple As...so you know, there is a difference :P 

Also plis quote when replying

You have a point, IrisPro did increate the peroformance and I wish intel would have released desktop CPUs with that GPU.

I did some math, AsRock DeskMini 110 + i5 6600 + 16 GB RAM + SSD 960 EVO 250 GB is cheaper than the Skull Canyon barebone alone, in my country. If I put another like 50-70$ I can also get Win 10... I don't thing the difference in GPU is worth the extra cash, and also most likely a i5 would be enough for my software development needs... Interesting thing would be how noisy is a i5 + stock intel cooler vs NUC...

5 hours ago, alinescoo said:

You have a point, IrisPro did increate the peroformance and I wish intel would have released desktop CPUs with that GPU.

I did some math, AsRock DeskMini 110 + i5 6600 + 16 GB RAM + SSD 960 EVO 250 GB is cheaper than the Skull Canyon barebone alone, in my country. If I put another like 50-70$ I can also get Win 10... I don't thing the difference in GPU is worth the extra cash, and also most likely a i5 would be enough for my software development needs... Interesting thing would be how noisy is a i5 + stock intel cooler vs NUC...

Well with the stock cooler, it should cool the i5 fine, it may however get a little loud but should be fine anyway :D 

If you feel the extra cash for a GPU that's almost double as good then go for it but if not then you may as well save a considerable amount of money and get the asrock.

On 12/22/2016 at 5:17 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well with the stock cooler, it should cool the i5 fine, it may however get a little loud but should be fine anyway :D 

If you feel the extra cash for a GPU that's almost double as good then go for it but if not then you may as well save a considerable amount of money and get the asrock.

NUC6i5SYH seems like a good alternative too, it's interesting that it has Iris graphics, not Pro version but it should be better than the normal HD GPU. The main concern of mine is how good is the CPU for what I need...

I was wondering if anyone has one and how is in terms of noise/performance.

3 hours ago, alinescoo said:

NUC6i5SYH seems like a good alternative too, it's interesting that it has Iris graphics, not Pro version but it should be better than the normal HD GPU. The main concern of mine is how good is the CPU for what I need...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2671&cmp[]=2594&cmp[]=2613

Ermmmm...only like 55-60% as powerful as a 6600/6600t so...considerably weaker

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2671&cmp[]=2594&cmp[]=2613

Ermmmm...only like 55-60% as powerful as a 6600/6600t so...considerably weaker

The only questionable thing is if I need the GPU or the CPU power? Would the i5U be enough for my needs?

In the end most likely I'll go with the AsRock DeskMini 110 + i5 6600... 

Thanks for all the links you have provided.

5 hours ago, alinescoo said:

The only questionable thing is if I need the GPU or the CPU power? Would the i5U be enough for my needs?

In the end most likely I'll go with the AsRock DeskMini 110 + i5 6600... 

Thanks for all the links you have provided.

I'm unsure, sorry :/ 

You're welcome