Nintendo Switch Specs: CPU and GPU Clock Speeds Reportedly Revealed

goodtofufriday
40 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Wasn't the shield tablet run games mostly by streaming (or otherwise play much older games)? Can't see how you can compare the battery life of a tablet that streams from a PC/Cloud to a handheld device meant for doing its own processing...

Plus, the I don't think the shield tablet actually did well (in gaming), so trying to copy aspects of it wouldn't really help.

It had that ability but I almost never used it.  All my statements were made in the context of playing native Android games running on the device.

And yes, it did quite well in gaming.  I remember many benchmarks at the time showing it 4 or 5 times* the performance of other devices available at the time.

* While I do clearly recall seeing them, after searching again, I was unable to locate any to corroborate this claim.  That said, I did find tests showing it at double or more the performance of other chips in certain tasks:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-shield-tablet-controller,3949-11.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-shield-tablet-controller,3949-13.html

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

The problem with this theory is that Nintendo can't keep going in the console world with only their current audience. Sure, the 3DS did great, but even that market alone doesn't let them keep competitive as a business. They need to grow their market.

Nintendo fans we can ignore. Why? Because for the most part they're "crack addicts". Nintendo could release a potato for the next gen console, and as long as it runs Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Metroid/Smash the Nintendo fan crowd will, for the most part, be satisfied.

So how do they grow? They need to attract people who aren't Nintendo fangirls/fanboys. How do they do that? They need attractive mainstream titles on their console. They don't need Call of Duty or Titanfall or Dark Souls, but they do need things like sports games, assassin's Creed, Minecraft, and other big draw titles.

Without those things people will look at the $300 price tag and go "There's a game or two that I want for it, but does a game or two really justify buying a $300 console?"

I hear a lot of "the Wii-U flopped because it had shitty marketing", and that's not wrong. But it's one piece of the answer. Even with shitty marketing, the Wii-U could have succeeded if it had word of mouth. There's the problem though. Other than the standard Nintendo titles what is there to suggest a Wii-U for? The Wii-U has very few really good titles outside of "kiddy" games like Mario and Zelda. Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty much the only game I heard any chatter about outside of the Nintendo fan crowd. Why? Because it turns heads. It doesn't look like a Nintendo title. It's cartoony but not in a childish way, and it doesn't have that "Nintendo is for kids" association tacked onto it because of that.

Tl;dr: If Nintendo wants to grow their market and appeal to more than fangirls and fanboys, they need to get some more "modern" titles on their system to appeal to more casual gamers.

I agree entirely.

They don't need to sell to Nintendo fans as much as they have been. They're already going to buy and have been faithful this entire time. And so long as it still appeases them (and we have no reason to suspect it wouldn't) they should be thinking about the people who don't buy Nintendo products. Getting modern games or games that PS4/Xbox or PC players generally go for is a huge step toward expanding the Nintendo name.

As a Nintendo fan, it is one thing I have been wishing they would do for some time. I just don't feel the same "open love" for Nintendo that I did when the N64 or older systems came out. Now it's all about releasing a new console basically just for the new Mario, Zelda or Pokemon...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

On 12/20/2016 at 9:45 AM, LAwLz said:

The only thing Patrick is destroying are my sides, from making me laugh too much. 

me @ all of patricks posts

I used to be quite active here.

^ I only like Nintendo games on their consoles, but having the extra option wouldn't hurt.

EDIT

Quotes aren't working for me. This is annoying. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My feeling for the future of the Switch is that if Nintendo can hang on for the first two years with a strong first party lineup (and a few niche 3rd party titles), multi-plat support could explode for them in another 2-3 years with a tegra 3 refresh.  I can see the strategy paying off depending on how far the competition comes in hardware.  And with the recent shift in Moore's Law, it could work in Nintendo's advantage.

On 12/20/2016 at 0:16 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I have provided sources for all of my factual assertions. It's why Lawlz will be drawing up a letter of resignation come February.

On 12/20/2016 at 4:45 PM, LAwLz said:

I don't remember making a bet with you.

Still waiting on your explanation of what our supposed bet was.