Best Nvidia card?

used 980 ti for lower price? since going to quadro gonna cost you a lot unless it's no worries.

or if you are willing to wait for some more price drop then it would be ideal but not ideal if you're gonna wait too long.

Live your life like a dream.

4 hours ago, brokencross said:

Nah.

how do i put this?

The reference clockspeed for the 980ti is 1000mhz with 1076mhz boost...ALL of them can run 1400mhz easily, and MOST of them can do 1500mhz or very close to it...what do you think would happen to this graph if you would add +50% clockspeed to the 980ti results?! yeah...there you go...my 980ti is running at 1430mhz in games and i can guarantee you, you need around a 2400mhz GTX 1070 to match it ;) in fact the performance of a properly clocked 980ti is closer to a GTX 1080 than it is to a 1070.

You check benchmarks which are 99% made with the card at stock clock, and Pascal is much closer to max clock and it doesn't overclock as well as Maxwell...which has low clockspeed out of the box but can take a major performance bump through overclocking...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

-snip-

I actually got the 980 Ti used in the summer for $350 (back then, it was a good deal....now they're $299 on B-Stock from EVGA). I bought a used 1070 here on the forums for $330. I kind of jumped the gun for the 1070 and was expecting it to beat the 980 Ti because in every review, I see it being faster by 10%. Well, I didn't know most reviews were not overclocked.

I got the 1070 overclocked it, and in everything I do, the 980 Ti wins out. 3DS Max, Maya, Revit, and in the few games I own (I don't game much), the 980 Ti wins by a pretty notable margin over the 1070. I actually would've been pissed if I had paid more for the 1070.

11 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I actually got the 980 Ti used in the summer for $350 (back then, it was a good deal....now they're $299 on B-Stock from EVGA). I bought a used 1070 here on the forums for $330. I kind of jumped the gun for the 1070 and was expecting it to beat the 980 Ti because in every review, I see it being faster by 10%. Well, I didn't know most reviews were not overclocked.

I got the 1070 overclocked it, and in everything I do, the 980 Ti wins out. 3DS Max, Maya, Revit, and in the few games I own (I don't game much), the 980 Ti wins by a pretty notable margin over the 1070. I actually would've been pissed if I had paid more for the 1070.

there are a FEW reviewers that took time to actually clock the cards properly...for example this review he overclocked both the 1070 and the 980ti he also compared them at stock it's all in there...but this kind of review is not the norm unfortunately...it's the same when they compare RX 480 with GTX 1060 and say ''now the 1060 is only 2% faster after driver updates etc.'' well yeah but clock tha 1060 properly and it will be faster by more than that...but i digress.

Lots of praise goes to the msi cooling solution and stellar build quality though which i entirely agree with MSI GPU's IMHO are simply the best the twinfrozr cooler has always been excellent and very quiet...it's a good legit review and the 1070 is a very good value it's still a very strong card.

...more video memory, lower power consumption...support a few extra features...as a whole it's a superior offering to the 980ti for most people...but if you do number crunching/workstation tasks or if you like overclocking and maxing out a powerful GPU and you like keeping power hungry component cool :P then 980ti it is hehe

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

-snip-

Yeah, I watched this video before, and I was actually kind of was hoping it would be a trading blows kind of fight for me, but I mostly do 3D modeling and work in unity, and wow, the 980 Ti eats it alive. Sure it uses 50-75W more at full load, but it does a fair chunk more work than the 1070 does.

I think what made me sad though is that iray rendering has no pascal support yet. Kind of killed my plans to use both GPUs to render, but from what I've seen, I can place my bets that the 1070 can't render as fast as the 980 Ti.

The only thing I've had the 1070 win is in 3DMark Time Spy, but it was only by like 40 points. I'm probably going to think about getting another 980 Ti after the 1080 Ti comes out so I can have a render server going for iray.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I watched this video before, and I was actually kind of was hoping it would be a trading blows kind of fight for me, but I mostly do 3D modeling and work in unity, and wow, the 980 Ti eats it alive. Sure it uses 50-75W more at full load, but it does a fair chunk more work than the 1070 does.

I think what made me sad though is that iray rendering has no pascal support yet. Kind of killed my plans to use both GPUs to render, but from what I've seen, I can place my bets that the 1070 can't render as fast as the 980 Ti.

The only thing I've had the 1070 win is in 3DMark Time Spy, but it was only by like 40 points. I'm probably going to think about getting another 980 Ti after the 1080 Ti comes out so I can have a render server going for iray.

Pascal support DX12 pre-emption feature in the drivers that's why it's sometimes a bit faster than maxwell in DX12 API...it's sad though because maxwell also has support for pre-emption but it's disabled in the driver i don't know why, it was probably not working properly or something.

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

how do i put this?

The reference clockspeed for the 980ti is 1000mhz with 1076mhz boost...ALL of them can run 1400mhz easily, and MOST of them can do 1500mhz or very close to it...what do you think would happen to this graph if you would add +50% clockspeed to the 980ti results?! yeah...there you go...my 980ti is running at 1430mhz in games and i can guarantee you, you need around a 2400mhz GTX 1070 to match it ;) in fact the performance of a properly clocked 980ti is closer to a GTX 1080 than it is to a 1070.

You check benchmarks which are 99% made with the card at stock clock, and Pascal is much closer to max clock and it doesn't overclock as well as Maxwell...which has low clockspeed out of the box but can take a major performance bump through overclocking...

Sure but you're introducing the luck of the draw factor in. I was just comparing them stock.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud