Internet not working well

Go to solution Solved by Kylesicle,

Welp, I ended up getting a new modem in April and now all is well. It is an Arris Surfboard SB6190.

exaclty that! If that is yours, you have fine signals. 

- channel: 1-8, your modem locks to 8 downstream channels.

- Frequency: (MHz) 666 - 722 

- Power: (in dBµV) this is important, ask for the upper and lower limit for the ISPs' network, yours is higher then my ISP, but the channels run in higher frequencies, so they impair faster, My guess is that every ISP has it's own upper and lower limit.

- SNR: (in dB) important aswell. There's always "static" on any signal, like a badly tuned FM radio. the difference between the signal and the static has to be a certain value. the higher the better. Yours appear to be similar as the standards used over here.

- Modulation: How odd that some of the DS channels are only 64QAM. It is the modulation (wave) rate, the higher the better, 64 sinusses per second through the cable is a slower rate than 256 sinusses per second. You cannot change these, these are determined by your ISP. Kinda lame not to 256QAM the other freqs... You have a max of 44Mbs x 4 + 11Mbs x 4  downstream network? correct me here if I'm wrong.

- Symbol Rate: yer well, dunno :P

- channel id: ?

Upstream:

Power has to be more, yours is quite high. The modem has  to keep connection to your ISP, if that signalstrength is higher, it means the more effort it takes for your modem to keep connection.

The lower the better? NO. Has to be kept in between limits, but then again, different ISP's, different standards, check your ISP.

On 29.12.2016 at 1:01 AM, Belgiangurista said:

exaclty that! If that is yours, you have fine signals. 

- channel: 1-8, your modem locks to 8 downstream channels.

- Frequency: (MHz) 666 - 722 

- Power: (in dBµV) this is important, ask for the upper and lower limit for the ISPs' network, yours is higher then my ISP, but the channels run in higher frequencies, so they impair faster, My guess is that every ISP has it's own upper and lower limit.

- SNR: (in dB) important aswell. There's always "static" on any signal, like a badly tuned FM radio. the difference between the signal and the static has to be a certain value. the higher the better. Yours appear to be similar as the standards used over here.

- Modulation: How odd that some of the DS channels are only 64QAM. It is the modulation (wave) rate, the higher the better, 64 sinusses per second through the cable is a slower rate than 256 sinusses per second. You cannot change these, these are determined by your ISP. Kinda lame not to 256QAM the other freqs... You have a max of 44Mbs x 4 + 11Mbs x 4  downstream network? correct me here if I'm wrong.

- Symbol Rate: yer well, dunno :P

- channel id: ?

Upstream:

Power has to be more, yours is quite high. The modem has  to keep connection to your ISP, if that signalstrength is higher, it means the more effort it takes for your modem to keep connection.

The lower the better? NO. Has to be kept in between limits, but then again, different ISP's, different standards, check your ISP.

According to your username (Belgian) we arent that far apart, greetings from Berlin and you are seeing infos of Kabel Deutschland 100/6Mbit

On 30.12.2016 at 8:01 PM, Kylesicle said:

I took a screenshot of the status of my modem.

Screenshot 2016-12-30 12.52.40(2).png

DOCSIS 2.0? Damn someone is really behind the standards

On 12/31/2016 at 6:04 PM, harry4742 said:

DOCSIS 2.0? Damn someone is really behind the standards

Haha... It is pretty old... Should I ask Cox to replace it or just buy my own modem?

On 3.1.2017 at 9:02 PM, Kylesicle said:

Haha... It is pretty old... Should I ask Cox to replace it or just buy my own modem?

if they allow using your own get your own, if not let them do it

On 1/8/2017 at 5:11 AM, harry4742 said:

if they allow using your own get your own, if not let them do it

Thanks!

On 12/30/2016 at 2:01 PM, Kylesicle said:

-snip-

Just for knowledge, no need to blur out MAC addresses, or even 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x addresses, nobody can really do anything with them from a home network perspective.

A MAC address is local only to the link, so for example between a PC and switch, or switch to a router, or router to modem, etc. and the addresses are internal addresses and can't be used on the public internet space.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 4 months later...

Welp, I ended up getting a new modem in April and now all is well. It is an Arris Surfboard SB6190.

i can top that, on a good day before the government morons of Australia decided dig up half the line's, completely fucked the connection here for 8 months and counting and im sitting on a lovely 1.4Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up. it use to sit at 4.6Mbps down and 1.4 up. 

id love to thank the aussie goverment for finding new ways to fuck over all the rural people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 5:24 AM, ArcThanatos said:

i can top that, on a good day before the government morons of Australia decided dig up half the line's, completely fucked the connection here for 8 months and counting and im sitting on a lovely 1.4Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up. it use to sit at 4.6Mbps down and 1.4 up. 

id love to thank the aussie goverment for finding new ways to fuck over all the rural people.

Wow. Go Australian government! :D 

5 hours ago, Kylesicle said:

Wow. Go Australian government! :D 

yeah its fantastic. cant wait to see how they shaft us next