Internet not working well

Go to solution Solved by Kylesicle,

Welp, I ended up getting a new modem in April and now all is well. It is an Arris Surfboard SB6190.

Hi!

My internet at my house has been messed up for a while now.

I did some speed tests with my laptop connected directly to my router with an ethernet cable.

For the first speed test I did, I got a 33.43 Mb/s download speed and a 8.44 Mb/s upload speed. (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5894221192)

For the second one, I got 4.74 Mb/s download speed and a 4.27 Mb/s upload speed. (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5894223883)

For the third and last one, I got 33.17 Mb/s download speed and a 7.02 Mb/s upload speed on a completely different server. (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5894248531)

Can someone please help me try to figure out why this is happening? (Why it just completely slowed down for the second test)

Thanks!

A Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200.

I don't think the router would be the problem because I'm connected right to it with an ethernet cable.

Your ISP gives you an IP addres via DHCP, with tah it also gives you a DNS server (translates example.com into IP adress) these provides DNS servers are mostly shitty you can set up a manual dns server on your router or on your local pc (open DNS ip is 208.67.222.222 google is 8.8.8.8) 

You can set it under your network adapter settings --> IPv4

Hmm.. DNS might be one of the causes for a delayed webpage to load,  but once a speedtest is running, the dns has already been consulted.

2 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Hmm.. DNS might be one of the causes for a delayed webpage to load,  but once a speedtest is running, the dns has already been consulted.

that was only one of the weird things i saw...

Is that cable or dsl?

What are your laptop specs?

Is the speedtest running fluently? Can it handle Ookla's damned graphical interface?

Oh, it started saying request timed out twice, but then went back to normal again.

1 hour ago, Belgiangurista said:

Ping -t 8.8.8.8

Any lost packets?

I'm not losing any packets; all that happens is that it says request timed out a few times.

Is there any way online of viewing the modem signals Rx Tx and Snr on all the frequencies it's locked?

I'd call the isp and ask them to check if the modem signals are ok on their end.

6 hours ago, Belgiangurista said:

Is there any way online of viewing the modem signals Rx Tx and Snr on all the frequencies it's locked?

I'd call the isp and ask them to check if the modem signals are ok on their end.

some routers actually do that but its rare

3 hours ago, harry4742 said:

some routers actually do that but its rare

?

I mean the Cox modem signals, not the router. The docsis 3.0 from Arris locks to 8 downstream frequencies, If only one is down due to external electromagnetic interference, it could impact the performance of the internet. Modern ISP's have multiple frequencies to balance the load, so your modem can chose the frequencies. But if you have that one neighbour with an old VCR or his own coax camera security feed connected to your ISP's coax network, it could mess up the whole neighbourhoods' internet.

- or a bad amplifier in the street.

- or waterdamage to your cable, or the connection outside

- or now that it's winter, the TX of the modem drops so much, it can't reach the ISP.

- or ..... 

Yeh, I do this for a living. :P