Best budget air cooler

loubot1

Hi, I am looking for a cheap air cooler to pair with a 4690k. I will be overclocking, and I'm looking for any that are around £50 or less, and any information about the product will be very helpful. I have looked at a fair few coolers but I can't seem to make my mind up! My case is a Corsair 100R which unfortunately means that the hyper 212 evo can't fit in the case. All help will be appreciated!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

2 minutes ago, loubot1 said:

My case is a Corsair 100R which unfortunately means that the hyper 212 evo can't fit in the case.

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. 

Please read fully before commenting

Sorry what about the Noctua NH C14S, I know this maybe a little more money than wanted to spend however Noctua air coolers are very good. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Perhaps a Cryorig C7? That is a really small cooler and it works fairly well.

I don't think you need one that small though.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Cryorig H7, might fit because the 212 doesn't fit in my case but the H7 dide.

9 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Sorry what about the Noctua NH C14S, I know this maybe a little more money than wanted to spend however Noctua air coolers are very good. 

That's a little out of my price range but I will look at this one and other Noctua coolers.

7 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Be quiet! pure rock slim. Its about 30mm shorter than the 212 evo I think. 

That looks like a neat little cooler, will definitely consider!

5 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

Perhaps a Cryorig C7? That is a really small cooler and it works fairly well.

I don't think you need one that small though.

I can't seem to find this cooler on any UK website, I will look around more though.

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Cryorig H7, might fit because the 212 doesn't fit in my case but the H7 dide.

Same with the C7, it looks like most Cryorig products are scarce in the UK.

4 minutes ago, loubot1 said:

I can't seem to find this cooler on any UK website, I will look around more though.

Same with the C7, it looks like most Cryorig products are scarce in the UK.

Cryorig is not officially sold outside of america. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Cryorig is not officially sold outside of america. 

That will explain it! I have managed to find the C7 on amazon for £49.

6 minutes ago, loubot1 said:

I have managed to find the C7 on amazon for £49.

That's not worth it, at all. it should be 25-30 pounds. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

17 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

That's not worth it, at all. it should be 25-30 pounds. 

Okay, looks like I'll be avoiding that then

A Gammaxx 300 is a shorter cooler that offers a considerable bit in the way of overclocking headroom. You won't be getting insane overclock out of it but it can help you push the processor a bit further than stock. I got my 2500K to 4.4 before running into stability issues with power delivery before any issues with temps. I tested it along side the 212 evo and it performed just as well and was quieter for less money.

A C7 would help for small overclocks but not be super great at cooling, especially at higher voltages.

A be quiet! slim cooler would work very well but would be on the more expensive side.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

The best lower profile cooler for that price is the Noctua  NH-D9L or NH-L12.

For your computer I would suggest a Cooler Master Hyper T4. The T4 is an extremely cheap air cooler and it works great for the price. Also if you change your mind and want/are okay with a liquid cooler then go for this Corsair Hydro Series H55: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029&cm_re=120mm_liquid_cooler-_-35-181-029-_-Product. Both coolers I have mentioned will fulfill your cooling needs, goodluck!

12 hours ago, loubot1 said:

Please read fully before commenting

The 212 Evo fits. The clearance listed in the specs is conservative and coolers up to 160mm fit in the case as shown here with the DR3: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/83588-corsair-carbide-series-100r-silent-edition/

What ram do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 212 Evo fits. The clearance listed in the specs is conservative and coolers up to 160mm fit in the case as shown here with the DR3: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/83588-corsair-carbide-series-100r-silent-edition/

What ram do you have?

I guess I can go for it. If it doesn't fit that will be a bit annoying. I have Kingston HyperX Fury ram sticks, which are quite low.

6 hours ago, loubot1 said:

I guess I can go for it. If it doesn't fit that will be a bit annoying. I have Kingston HyperX Fury ram sticks, which are quite low.

It'll fit just fine. Fury ram isn't tall. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 212 was ok a few years ago but it's obsolete now. There are many that perform better and quieter for the same money.

Hello,

I have the same case as you (Corsair 100R) and I have Thermalright Macho 120 SBM on i5 6600K Overclocked at 4.4GHz. I am using the Silent profile from my motherboard with a single fan on the cooler and have not seen temperatures above 47deg. (keeping in mind it is winter).

Hope this will help and good luck with finding the right cooler for you.

amazon link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermalright-MACHO-120-SBM-components/dp/B01CGMP9AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482502313&sr=8-1&keywords=thermalright+macho+sbm

On 12/20/2016 at 9:02 PM, dexT said:

The 212 was ok a few years ago but it's obsolete now. There are many that perform better and quieter for the same money.

Like?

9_9

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

20 hours ago, IcarusLSC said:

Like?

9_9

Cryorig H7

Rajintek Themis EVO 

Be Quiet! Pure Rock

There are others but I've used these. I have a 212 EVO as well.

The EVO 212 is a great budget cooler, but it can be a pain in the butt to install sometimes. especially with that hold down piece you stick through the opening under the fins and trying to press down on the bolts to get them to catch onto the baseplate mounts. Even worse when you have a short shafted screwdriver. I myself have the EVO 212 and got tired of it. So now Im shopping around for a better replacement for it.

11 hours ago, UrdnotGrunt said:

The EVO 212 is a great budget cooler, but it can be a pain in the butt to install sometimes. especially with that hold down piece you stick through the opening under the fins and trying to press down on the bolts to get them to catch onto the baseplate mounts. Even worse when you have a short shafted screwdriver. I myself have the EVO 212 and got tired of it. So now Im shopping around for a better replacement for it.

The Scythe Ninja 4 or Fuma would be a nice step up in the $45 range.