Would this upgrade make sense?

Go to solution Solved by Rickotap,

@djdwosk97:

yeah, DX12 with my 770gtx is a low fps mess in BF1... But at least i don't get crashes with that ':D

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

yes because you can always overclock your CPU. If you overclock it should be up to the recommended specs for BF1

https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech

I have an older 8120 and it plays nice with my 1060

That last sentence is exactly what i wanted to hear :D

again @djdwosk97:

"Well, an FX8320 + 1070 will be fine in BF1 with only a minimal bottleneck -- but that won't be true for all games."

- Thats enough to me, I think I will go for it then!

Thank you all for your replies!

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking about upgrading from a 770gtx 2gb to a EVGA 1070gtx super clocked.

The problem is, that I currently use a MSI 970A-G43 Mainboard with a AMD FX-8320 CPU.

I know that this will bottleneck the 1070, but I am planning to upgrade my mainboard and CPU in the future to something suitable.

My question is, if upgrading to the 1070 now would make any sense, or if the performance-loss with my current mainboard/CPU combo

would be so significant that I should just wait until I can afford upgrading all in one.

In general, I have no idea how significant the bottleneck would be, maybe you can help me clearify that to an extent.

Thank you for helping me out ;D

Oh, and sorry if my english is giving you cancer... I'm not a native speaker  ':D 

wait. Vega might end up being better or cause nvidia to lower prices and the bottleneck would be so large that you wouldn't be getting more performance unless you're also upgrading resolutions. 

It depends what games you play.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I would suggest waiting with the purchase. 

It's just because it doesn't seem urgent, because you already have a GPU, and then just wait for some killer deal to drop into your lap. 

There might be some new year sale or something somewhere

Wait for ryzen/vega and go an all AMD build, if you were going to update it all later anyways.

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

go for it. Your CPU is at the bottom end but it meets the requirements for most games and is over clockable. the 1070 is a shit ton better than your 770 so you will be able to play the latest games. I think the best reason to upgrade is you will be able to play with the latest DirectX, and the latest DirectX requires less CPU power.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

go for it. Your CPU is at the bottom end but it meets the requirements for most games and is over clockable. the 1070 is a shit ton better than your 770 so you will be able to play the latest games. I think the best reason to upgrade is you will be able to play with the latest DirectX, and the latest DirectX requires less CPU power.

DX12 is still a mess and doesn't necessarily play nicer than DX11. CPU_FuryX.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It depends what games you play.

Mostly Battlefield 1, at the moment.

9 minutes ago, OliverFridorf said:

I would suggest waiting with the purchase. 

It's just because it doesn't seem urgent, because you already have a GPU, and then just wait for some killer deal to drop into your lap. 

There might be some new year sale or something somewhere

With my GPU I can play on decent framerates while using low settings on 1080p, but there is a problem with the

770gtx (and some older ones, too )causing DirectX related crashes all the time, so this is a reason why I want a new GPU early.  Also I think it is time for more VRAM :D

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

A "shit ton better" sounds really good, but also with my current setup? That is my main question here...

Thanks for the quick answers!

5 minutes ago, Rickotap said:

Mostly Battlefield 1, at the moment.

With my GPU I can play on decent framerates while using low settings on 1080p, but there is a problem with the

770gtx (and some older ones, too )causing DirectX related crashes all the time, so this is a reason why I want a new GPU early.  Also I think it is time for more VRAM :D

A "shit ton better" sounds really good, but also with my current setup? That is my main question here...

Thanks for the quick answers!

Well, an FX8320 + 1070 will be fine in BF1 with a decent bottleneck, but still over 60fps at ultra -- but that won't be true for all games. 

(the 1070 gets 112 min, 126 avg in BF1 without a CPU bottleneck)

CPU_GTX1080.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Rickotap said:

yes because you can always overclock your CPU. If you overclock it should be up to the recommended specs for BF1

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@djdwosk97:

yeah, DX12 with my 770gtx is a low fps mess in BF1... But at least i don't get crashes with that ':D

again @djdwosk97:

"Well, an FX8320 + 1070 will be fine in BF1 with only a minimal bottleneck -- but that won't be true for all games."

4 minutes ago, Rickotap said:

@djdwosk97:

again @djdwosk97:

DX12 is a shitshow no matter what GPU/CPU you have. Right now there really isn't any reason to use DX12 over DX11. 

I revised the wording, because it's more than a minimal bottleneck. Expect 90fps instead of 120fps~. It's still well over 60fps @ 1080p utlra, but still a decent bottleneck (albeit overclocking will help a bit). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

DX12 is a shitshow no matter what GPU/CPU you have. Right now there really isn't any reason to use DX12 over DX11. 

I revised the wording, because it's more than a minimal bottleneck. Expect 90fps instead of 120fps~. It's still well over 60fps @ 1080p utlra, but still a decent bottleneck (albeit overclocking will help a bit). 

Actually, I was expecting it to be a lot worse, so i think that's great!

Again, I will upgrade my CPU in the future, but for now 90 fps at ultra will suffice ;D