AMD vs Intel: Stock Cooler Edition

Veninblazer

Okay, yeah, obviously an aftermarket cooler like the 212X or the Evo will outperform both, but in terms of the way stock coolers look and are installed, which do you personally prefer? I actually like the newer AMD coolers more than the Intel coolers. Not only are they easier to install, but personally I think they look better.

For comparison:

12b.jpg

AMD

cooler.jpg

Intel

Now, while aftermarket coolers do cool better, I've yet to see a decent one look like either of these. Usually, the fan isn't on the top of an aftermarket solution, and I'm unsure of the 212X or the Evo's ability to fit into say, a Micro ATX tower like this:

Arc-mini-s-6.jpg

6 hours ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

Okay, yeah, obviously an aftermarket cooler like the 212X or the Evo will outperform both, but in terms of the way stock coolers look and are installed, which do you personally prefer? I actually like the newer AMD coolers more than the Intel coolers. Not only are they easier to install, but personally I think they look better.

For comparison:

AMD

Intel

Now, while aftermarket coolers do cool better, I've yet to see a decent one look like either of these. Usually, the fan isn't on the top of an aftermarket solution, and I'm unsure of the 212 Evo's ability to fit into say, a Micro ATX tower.

Actually, the 212 evo barely edges out the wrath cooler right now.  And considering Intel CPU's don't come with coolers anymore... this isn't even a discussion.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

Actually, the 212 evo barely edges out the wrath cooler right now.  And considering Intel CPU's don't come with coolers anymore... this isn't even a discussion.

Intel's K chips don't.

6 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

"And considering Intel CPU's don't come with coolers anymore... this isn't even a discussion."

The locked SKUs do...

(g440, i3 6100, i5 6500, i7 6700 ect.)

Just now, g12601 said:

The locked SKUs do...

Basically what I was trying to get at.

I am on my phone, I did not catch that until refreshed the page.

To actually contribute to the topic, I don't mind the look of the cooler as long as the tempretures are at a good place. If I wanted to make the Intel heatsink look better, I would do a custom sleeve for the fan cable using some kind of mesh like they use on the 20+4 motherboard connector.

Edited by g12601
Adding some stuff for the topic

11 minutes ago, g12601 said:

To actually contribute to the topic, I don't mind the look of the cooler as long as the tempretures are at a good place. If I wanted to make the Intel heatsink look better, I would do a custom sleeve for the fan cable using some kind of mesh like they use on the 20+4 motherboard connector.

I have three main concerns with cooling, personally.

1. Performace

2. Aesthetic/look

3. Size (I prefer Micro-ATX cases, so I'm skeptical of most well-known aftermarket solutions in that regard)

As far as custom sleeving goes, I'm with you there.

54 minutes ago, g12601 said:

The locked SKUs do...

Who really buys those?  OEM's that's about it.  And they use their own heat sinks anyways.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

Who really buys those?  OEM's that's about it.  And they use their own heat sinks anyways.

Budget builders and people who really couldn't care less about overclocking

I prefer the quietest cooler that can keep temps in check which is usually the intel stock cooler.

I haven't gotten to play with the wraith cooler yet though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.