How to make Home NAS , from old PC parts ?

keavlar
Go to solution Solved by xentropa,

Here ya go.

The only problem with this method is that you cannot double click and open files using an ftp network location.  If you want to open a video file, you need to copy it to your desktop before it can be accessed.  If you want to be able to access files from a network location directly, you can use the windows folder sharing, but that is less secure IMO and there is no way (that I know of) to share folders outside of the local network.

Hey guys.

Is there a video , Step by step how to build a NAS server for home, and how to manage all the restrictions and so. 

I mean, step by step , from build , until you manage it .

I prefer Linus video. 

Also,  i was thinking to give them this idea , he made the Desk PC, now maybe he can show how to make home NAS

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

name your parts to start. We will only help you if you show us some electronic hardware pron.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

name your parts to start. We will only help you if you show us some electronic hardware pron.

Well, i don't have.. I can get them. As i understood, i don't need so crazy parts.

i3 or i5 , even old dual core will be fine,. 

I do have GTX 960 .

Ram not a problem, depends how much i need. 

I just don't get it , how to make it work as a home server, and with out entering it, to download to the Hard drives , torrent files, music, and connect from other pc.

Do i need to be connected only via cable? Or Wi-Fi fine 2?

Do i need actually to install a windows on NAS, what version and so .. and so...

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

The way I have it set up is.

Fill an old PC full of drives.

Install filezilla server onto that PC

Make sure the NAS has a static IP

On my regular PC create a network location on my computer

Input the ip address of the NAS

Then I can just double click on the icon in my computer whenever I want to drag and drop files.

If that sounds like something you want to do, I can provide more step by step instructions.

Just now, xentropa said:

Then I can just double click on the icon in my computer whenever I want to drag and drop files.

If that sounds like something you want to do, I can provide more step by step instructions.

Yes, it is actually what i would like to do . 

Not sure about the static IP thou , do i need to buy it or what. 

2 minutes ago, xentropa said:

By the way , can i use the file, see the movie with out copy to my pc? 

static ip means that the ip on whatever computer is connected to your router doesn't change.

It is not a software or anything.

1 minute ago, keavlar said:

By the way , can i use the file, see the movie with out copy to my pc? 

umm, no.

What will happen is that if you double click something in a network location folder, the file will first download to a temporary location on your PC, then it will open.  But I think if you close the file, it will erase automatically.

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

static ip means that the ip on whatever computer is connected to your router doesn't change.

It is not a software or anything.

Yeah i know that, but not sure if it is an ip i can just use, or i need to have it in my range and so. I mean, can it be random IP like, 1.0.0.15 ?

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Yeah i know that, but not sure if it is an ip i can just use, or i need to have it in my range and so. I mean, can it be random IP like, 1.0.0.15 ?

well, there are two IPs.

All computers within your router will use LOCAL IPs.  These are 192.168.xx.xx.  So you would have to use an IP that begins with 192.168.xx.xx.

As for your WIDE AREA IP, that is something you have to go to google and type "what is my ip."  Wide area ips are designated by your ISP, you have no control over that.

If you are only transferring files from your home computers on your local network, that is easy.

If you want to set it up so that you can dump files onto your NAS while you are out somewhere else, that is a bit more complicated, but it is possible.

Just now, xentropa said:

umm, no.

What will happen is that if you double click something in a network location folder, the file will first download to a temporary location on your PC, then it will open.  But I think if you close the file, it will erase automatically.

Oh ok.. the speed of the transfer, will be depending on what ?  The driver?  

If i have 1 PC connected via cable, and the other one with Wi- Fi , can both connect to NAS, or They need ti be connected via cable?

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Oh ok.. the speed of the transfer, will be depending on what ?  The driver?  

If i have 1 PC connected via cable, and the other one with Wi- Fi , can both connect to NAS, or They need ti be connected via cable?

the speed will be determined by network speed, wifi speed, and how fast the computer is, though that is not the bottleneck.  Lan, wifi doesn't matter, both will work.

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

Anyways, hang tight, I will make a step by step instruction for you.

Thx Mate. 

16 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Well, i don't have.. I can get them. As i understood, i don't need so crazy parts.

i3 or i5 , even old dual core will be fine,. 

I do have GTX 960 .

Ram not a problem, depends how much i need. 

I just don't get it , how to make it work as a home server, and with out entering it, to download to the Hard drives , torrent files, music, and connect from other pc.

Do i need to be connected only via cable? Or Wi-Fi fine 2?

Do i need actually to install a windows on NAS, what version and so .. and so...

Look for a low power cpu. there are Intel that go as low as 25W or AMD's lowest are 45W. The rest are 65W and above.

For RAM i use 4GB which is more than enough for a base linux system.

If you want to use FreeNAS you will want a min of 8GB to take advantage of the ZFS filesystem.

for drives you want a USB flash drive for the OS and at least one hard drive for data storage

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Look for a low power cpu. there are Intel that go as low as 25W or AMD's lowest are 45W. The rest are 65W and above.

For RAM i use 4GB which is more than enough for a base linux system.

If you want to use FreeNAS you will want a min of 8GB to take advantage of the ZFS filesystem.

for drives you want a USB flash drive for the OS and at least one hard drive for data storage

Gotcha !Thx 

I made a video but it is taking a long time to upload.

you can take a look at this in the meantime I suppose.

Here ya go.

The only problem with this method is that you cannot double click and open files using an ftp network location.  If you want to open a video file, you need to copy it to your desktop before it can be accessed.  If you want to be able to access files from a network location directly, you can use the windows folder sharing, but that is less secure IMO and there is no way (that I know of) to share folders outside of the local network.

16 hours ago, xentropa said:

I made a video but it is taking a long time to upload.

you can take a look at this in the meantime I suppose.

THX MATE!!!!!!!