Quick question about SLI

Clonzoo

So, I've been wondering for quite some time, to SLI you need 2 of the same card, does that mean I can SLI a EVGA and A MSI card of 770's or does it have to be one of the 2 brands. And many companies start adding more ram to GPU's so if I take a 770 from msi with 2GB then the same card only difference is it has 4GB, will that work?

Just got my new computer so even tho I am tempted to upgrade it already I won't, you know, its usual, however beast your pc is, it can in most cases be better one way or another, and gamers usually wants the best of the best, even though its not necessary what so ever. So right now I'm just wondering really, what are the limitation to SLI or CF. Oh and did the CrossfireX technology change anything other then not having to use the CF Bridge, Did it improve in performance? I think I heard Linus say something about it.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

You can SLI with different brands, and you can also SLI with different RAM amounts, but you will only get the smallest amount to use... I am not sure about crossfire, hopefully someone else helps you out with those questions.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

i would also like to know it!!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

You can sli different brands. Just needs to be the same gpu. The cpu is the chip inside. The whole thing is the graphics CARD.

If you get 2 of the same gpu with different vram one with 2gb and the other with 4gb, it will onyl use 2gb from the 4gb card.

CF can use cards from the same family but the faster cards will slow down to the slowest card in the gpu config.

Not using the crossfire bridge has the same performance as using one.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nvidia cards have strict SLI compatibility guidelines. Must have the same GPU. 770, 780 etc. Varying VRAM amounts is not recommended as the card with the lowest amount will be the set amount for both cards. Though different vendors (MSI, Asus etc) can be put in SLI with each other, though it looks (IMO) shit.

AMD on the other hand... I don't even know. Seems like any card can be crossfired together xD

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You can sli different brands. Just needs to be the same gpu. The cpu is the chip inside. The whole thing is the graphics CARD.

If you get 2 of the same gpu with different vram one with 2gb and the other with 4gb, it will onyl use 2gb from the 4gb card.

CF can use cards from the same family but the faster cards will slow down to the slowest card in the gpu config.

Not using the crossfire bridge has the same performance as using one.

like the 7870 xt will crossfire with a 7950,7970, and a 280x

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

like the 7870 xt will crossfire with a 7950,7970, and a 280x

and the 7950, 7970, and 280x will resent the 7870 xt for holding them back and wonder what the hell the pc builder was thinking.  B)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

and the 7950, 7970, and 280x will resent the 7870 xt for holding them back and wonder what the hell the pc builder was thinking.  B)

but it is possible.

i like my 7870xt though

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

yes you can SLI 2 different card like a gigabyte GTX 770 and MSI GTX 770, its no problem, mabye it will look kinda stupid but not always.

Also you can RamFire 2 different rams

But what i know if you have a 1600 mhz Ram and you put a 2400 mhz ram then it will underclock to 1600 mhz.

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

You can SLI different brands. It just has to be the same card.

You can SLI an EVGA 770 and MSI 770 with no problem, unless you have a window in your case and like everything to look orderly.

Thanks for the answer everyone, I can get a good night of sleep now:P

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit.