Can my Power Supply Run the 1050?

toastythomas
Go to solution Solved by faziten,

it will probably work just fine. Would i recommend it? No. Why? Even if it works we can't assure for HOW LONG. Maybe weeks? Years? Hours? One boot and Poof*?

Once you go out of spec there is little to hold to but luck itself. Want to test your luck? Go ahead. 

I'm not sure where to place this thread, but this will do.

Anyways, I am looking to purchase a GTX 1050 for my secondary PC this Christmas and I was wondering if the current power supply can run it. Looking at the paper, no, but I know many of you have more knowledge than me. I currently have a GT 730 inside of the system. On Nvidia's website it recommends a 300W PSU and draws anywhere from 25W-50W. The GTX 1050 recommends a 300W PSU aswell but draws 75W of power. My PSU is only 240W. My GT 730 runs well so will the GTX 1050 run well? Before you ask, no, I will not upgrade my PSU. I cannot. It's OEM and proprietary as well as the motherboard so even if I did upgrade the PSU I would have to grab a new Ivy-Bridge motherboard which will run me $75. No. 

Here's my PSU info.

Remember to drink water!

No. I'd say definitely not, wouldn't even recommend a 300 watt for that.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should work fine. The psu requirement is much higher than what it really needs.

That's what I feel is true. I am just hesitant because I don't want to have to return it or damage it or something.

Remember to drink water!

What else have you got under the hood? What you linked is a general parts/spec sheet, not details on your system.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What else have you got under the hood? What you linked is a general parts/spec sheet, not details on your system.

It's a prebuilt and is as follows:

Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

WD Blue 500GB HDD

4GB DDR3 Memory

220W PSU

Remember to drink water!

I really wouldn't. Rule of thumb- always add 100 watts to the recommended psu.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Maybe, you'll likely be pushing pretty close to the amount of power that PSU is rated for. I personally wouldn't, but I definitely cannot say it won't work.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

2 minutes ago, laushik said:

I really wouldn't. Rule of thumb- always add 100 watts to the recommended psu.

I'm not looking for safe. I'm looking for it working. I don't plan on adding any overclock or anything.

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

I'm not looking for safe. I'm looking for it working. I don't plan on adding any overclock or anything.

Try this: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

2 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

It's a prebuilt and is as follows:

Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

WD Blue 500GB HDD

4GB DDR3 Memory

220W PSU

Long story short, no. Not even a little bit. Even at a 240W PSU, no.

The build there doesn't have any optical drive or fans. I'm sure your PC has an optical drive, and I'd imagine it has at least one fan on the cooler.

Can your PSU handle it? Maybe. Maybe not. The GT 730 is a much less demanding GPU to run than a 1050 Ti. Keeping in mind that a blown PSU can take everything else with it, the question becomes this: do you want a 1050 Ti badly enough to nuke everything else in there?

tbqh, your best bet is to do exactly what you don't want to: buy a new Ivy mobo and a case for it. You can sometimes find decent systems on the cheap on Craigslist, in thrift stores, at yard sales, whatever. I would simply not trust a 240W PSU, especially a cheapo prebuilt proprietary one pieced together by the low man on the totem pole at the Chinese firecracker factory, to handle a load that, when the GPU and CPU are both kicking, approaches or exceeds its rated limit.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Long story short, no. Not even a little bit. Even at a 240W PSU, no.

The build there doesn't have any optical drive or fans. I'm sure your PC has an optical drive, and I'd imagine it has at least one fan on the cooler.

Can your PSU handle it? Maybe. Maybe not. The GT 730 is a much less demanding GPU to run than a 1050 Ti. Keeping in mind that a blown PSU can take everything else with it, the question becomes this: do you want a 1050 Ti badly enough to nuke everything else in there?

tbqh, your best bet is to do exactly what you don't want to: buy a new Ivy mobo and a case for it. You can sometimes find decent systems on the cheap on Craigslist, in thrift stores, at yard sales, whatever. I would simply not trust a 240W PSU, especially a cheapo prebuilt proprietary one pieced together by the low man on the totem pole at the Chinese firecracker factory, to handle a load that, when the GPU and CPU are both kicking, approaches or exceeds its rated limit.

GTX 1050, not TI.

5 minutes ago, laushik said:

I found my result on the CM website to be interesting. 

Load Wattage: 151 W
Recommended PSU Wattage :201 W

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

GTX 1050, not TI.

Looks like you might be golden. If you can buy a quality psu that would be great but if not you should be fine with yours. 

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

i've done worse on a little 250 watt HP unit, but i *DEFENATELY* dont recommend it, it's always a guess, and i dont quite like recommending something that i wouldnt leave unattended myself.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

tbqh, your best bet is to do exactly what you don't want to: buy a new Ivy mobo and a case for it. You can sometimes find decent systems on the cheap on Craigslist, in thrift stores, at yard sales, whatever. 

I'm going to put the PC on a wooden board pretty soon. I will take your advice and shop around on used websites for a day or two.

Remember to drink water!

9 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

GTX 1050, not TI.

Same TDP for the 1050 and 1050 Ti.

Your computer, not mine, tbqh. If I were unhappy with a 730 in a build with a 240W PSU, I'd be looking into a new computer. No other way of saying it: gaming with your CPU/GPU combo would likely kill the PSU, possibly taking other components with it.

A note on CM's PSU estimator: I just punched in the specs of my rig, Senketsu. You can go look at the PCPartPicker link in my sig if you'd like. Cooler Master pegs it at 378W. PCPP has it at 391W. The reality? I pull 415-450W at full load while rendering 1080p video and using Photoshop. I pull 450-ish during synthetic stress tests. I give PCPP a 100W margin of error anyway because I know it underestimates, but Cooler Master undershot it by even more.

I'm not hammering on this to be a dick. I'm hammering on it because you're taking a huge risk putting a GTX 1050 into your current PC.

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Same TDP for the 1050 and 1050 Ti.

Your computer, not mine, tbqh. If I were unhappy with a 730 in a build with a 240W PSU, I'd be looking into a new computer. No other way of saying it: gaming with your CPU/GPU combo would likely kill the PSU, possibly taking other components with it.

A note on CM's PSU estimator: I just punched in the specs of my rig, Senketsu. You can go look at the PCPartPicker link in my sig if you'd like. Cooler Master pegs it at 378W. PCPP has it at 391W. The reality? I pull 415-450W at full load while rendering 1080p video and using Photoshop. I pull 450-ish during synthetic stress tests. I give PCPP a 100W margin of error anyway because I know it underestimates, but Cooler Master undershot it by even more.

I'm not hammering on this to be a dick. I'm hammering on it because you're taking a huge risk putting a GTX 1050 into your current PC.

I get you, man. Thanks for looking out for a homie.

Remember to drink water!

your lucky your GT 730 runs with a 240 watt. my GT 610 won't even run on a 240 watt. fml

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should work fine. The psu requirement is much higher than what it really needs.

I dont think so, I mean it's in a prebuilt system dude.

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I dont think so, I mean it's in a prebuilt system dude.

Those psu are fine. There would ship a computer with a shit psu. 

It's not that it won't run it fine on a 250w quality PSU, it's more of a "will my cheap chinese cap psu blow up if I try to run it" situation.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Depends how power hungry CPU you got or how many other components you have, if you have something like a newer gen i3 or i5, single HDD and SSD you should be fine to boot, 1050 itself barely needs any power.

it will probably work just fine. Would i recommend it? No. Why? Even if it works we can't assure for HOW LONG. Maybe weeks? Years? Hours? One boot and Poof*?

Once you go out of spec there is little to hold to but luck itself. Want to test your luck? Go ahead.