My GTX 660 is at 99c and 99% load!

KDS

Hello,

Very recently I have noticed that some of my games have been stuttering. I went and investigated to find that my card is at 99c and 99% load while playing rocket league. I checked to see if the blower still works and it does. So why would my 660 just start to get high temps?

Thanks,

-kdsjr123

4 minutes ago, KDS said:

Hello,

Very recently I have noticed that some of my games have been stuttering. I went and investigated to find that my card is at 99c and 99% load while playing rocket league. I checked to see if the blower still works and it does. So why would my 660 just start to get high temps?

Thanks,

-kdsjr123

check paste

1 minute ago, KDS said:

Hello,

Thanks,

-kdsjr123

The most obvious answer is dust.
The GTX660 isn't exactly the newest card out there, so I guess you probably own it for a couple of years now.

I would take the card out of your rig and blow all of the dust out that has accumulated over time.
If that doesn't help, you should replace the thermal interface material (TIM) aka. thermal paste.

And if it was the paste, could I just use the same paste I can use on a CPU?

8 minutes ago, KDS said:

yes same function

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

Huh. Probably an issue with paste or something as my 660 never gets above 70c with a mild OC.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Are you running afterburner or any other similar software? I'm pretty sure most software would throttle the card if it got above 85 or so... The default temp for afterburner is 80 ° IIRC.

Good temperatures, perhaps buy some bacon and start a sandwich business.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

Dust clean the card with can compressed air (or leaf blower Carey Holzman style). Remember to block the fans from spinning with a toothpick or by hand if possible. 

Try again. If temperatures go crazy try a different software reading and remove every possible overclock you may have set.  

If not, replace thermal paste and try again.

Else... RIP 660 you'll be remembered as one though son of a tech. 

19 hours ago, KDS said:

Just remember that it's a GPU and not a CPU so you should put more paste than you normally would on a CPU. Also it's good if you spread it evenly, like a nicely made Nutella sandwich.

Edit: You know what, scrap that Nutella sandwich illustration, you may be the type of person that actually puts chunks of Nutella there...

Just apply a nice layer. That's it.

Edited by YoloSwag

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."