New Nintendo Switch patent found: Appears to imply Switch VR. + Additional Switch info

goodtofufriday

Source: http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/new-nintendo-switch-patents.64573/

Full Patent Document: https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?FT=D&date=20161214&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP&CC=EP&NR=3103532A2&KC=A2&ND=1

1ewfn1G.png

There is an ambiant light sensor (in order to perform an automatic screen light adjustment).
There is a Microphone/headphone plug (yes Apple, that is right haha).
The screen is a touch screen.
There is two slots for two different kind of media, one for games, and the other one for storage media like and SD card.
The Analogue joystick will be clickable (acting like a button when pressed down).

Interesting point : The Patent is pretty open when it comes to the shape of the Joycon, as long as the type of controls present in these Joycon. It may me think that these Joycon may be available in several shapes, with different controls, in order to fit certain games (but this is just my opinion, no real proof).

There is a "Record" button on the left Joycon.
There is an infrared camera/sensor on the right controller, allowing the Switch to capture right hand movements.

Interesting point : The infrared module can be used to connect an external controller to the right Joycon. Indeed, light signals can be used to detect this external controller connected to the right controller (a controller connected to another, like the Nunchuk connected to the Wiimote).

The dock (cradle) can communicate wiredly or wirelessly with a TV, pretty strange.
Several Joycons can be connected to one Switch. it can be only left controllers, only right controllers or a mix of them.
Main unit uses Wi-Fi and bluetooth.
Motion sensors are used (knowing that Just dance is going to be launched on the Switch, this is not a surprise). They seems to be used in both Joycon and Main unit.

Remark : In others Patents, the motion sensors are not present on the Main unit, but only in the VR headset.

There is a magnetic field detection sensor, that can be used to detect a protection cover or something like this.
The right joycon uses NFC.
Other tests have been made to send the Video directly to the TV, without using the Dock.
Clock Frequency of the Switch in portable mode will be limited.

Interesting point : The Clock frequency limitation will only cause the resolution to be smaller in portable mode, which is a pretty good idea, as we don't need a huge resolution in portable mode, du to the size of the screen.

In docked mode, some wireless mode can be disabled in order to keep more power for the game itself. In this case, communications can be managed by the dock (cradle), with a specific communication device.

LL177aV.png

br6AXrQ.png

Interesting. If the switch is light enough, or the headset is sturdy enough, I guess it could be feasible for light sessions. The other information seems more like what we should expect from a modern console setup. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

jezus this thing has more sensors than the dualshock 4 and xbox one v2 combined.

I literally came up with the idea for the exact same thing as the switch when I was 15, and the only difference was the dock and mine was a clam shell. It was basically a DS with a kickstand and two detachable controllers. Man I wish I still had my old drawings of it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 hours ago, tlink said:

jezus this thing has more sensors than the dualshock 4 and xbox one v2 combined.

It needs more sensors.. MORE I say! Mwhahahahahahahh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! My evil plan!

...now.....what was the plan again? Oooohhh it says "...it needs to make more sense or...." darn it!, miss read... Well that was a waste. :/

7 hours ago, tlink said:

Wii U GamePad (Red) + WiiMote (blue) ~= Switch (Black)

switch.png

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing