Nvidia's planned obsolescence

HughMungusCynicalAnarch
1 hour ago, manikyath said:

you know... i'd almost bet that between the drivers launched in the GTS 450 haydays and the most recent drivers nvidia recommends when you say you have a GTS 450, it's gonna be the same if not better on the recent drivers.

I've actually found the last 6 drivers to be worse in performance to the previous ones on Maxwell, but nothing in terms of 10fps or more worse...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

2 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

I've actually found the last 6 drivers to be worse in performance to the previous ones on Maxwell, but nothing in terms of 10fps or more worse...

talk percentages, not FPS. because losing 10 fps in minecraft (which tops out at 1000 fps on my 970) is significantly less problematic than losing 10 fps in <insert eyecandy game here> that only barely manages 60 FPS :P

EDIT: should add, you're talking to someone who was playing 1440p on a GT640 until early 2015 ;)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

talk percentages, not FPS. because losing 10 fps in minecraft (which tops out at 1000 fps on my 970) is significantly more problematic than losing 10 fps in <insert eyecandy game here> that only barely manages 60 FPS :P

Ok, below 15% loss in performance, currently looking around 9%

My profile... HERE

Just now, Tech Inquisition said:

Ok, below 15% loss in performance, currently looking around 9%

that's actually noteworthy, but its still closer to the "its a glitch" range than the "they're nerfing it" range.

especially since really nothing is stopping you from using older drivers ;)

Just now, manikyath said:

that's actually noteworthy, but its still closer to the "its a glitch" range than the "they're nerfing it" range.

especially since really nothing is stopping you from using older drivers ;)

Agreed, I mainly advise against using them unless they specifically need to use something that those drivers are "optimized" for... :)

As soon as I start seeing a more than 15% drop across the board I'm more than willing to consider it truly nerf'd...

My profile... HERE

1 minute ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Agreed, I mainly advise against using them unless they specifically need to use something that those drivers are "optimized" for... :)

As soon as I start seeing a more than 15% drop across the board I'm more than willing to consider it truly nerf'd...

to be honest i have questions with it being called a nerf for as long as you can use old drivers without facing noteworthy issues.

i remember people setting fire to the city when 10 series launched and "oh, rip drivers for 970" and i was sitting there "yo guys.. uh. i just benchmarked on the 10 series driver update, and i got an improvement since last time" :P

i honestly feel like the whole maxwell thing was an accident more than anything, and nvidia just could not be bothered to invest the money in supporting an older architecture. (which.. make of it what you will.. outside of the computer world that would be an entirely sensible decision)