Downloading To Flashdrive

Quick and simple. Can you you download a file/s directly onto a flashdrive/ thumbdrive/ USB drive?

In case your wondering: im trying to find 3d printed lamp shade designs for my sister's Christmas present and due to not knowing the website all that well (Yeggi, Thingaverse) i would rather download the file not into my main drives.

And when i download on firefox, it kinda just starts downloading into one of my other drives.

Edited by Made In Canada
Words

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

Makes no difference what drive you download it to. But you should be able to choose where you save a file when downloading it.

When in doubt, re-format.

As far as I recall you can't directly save large files like a movie because meanwhile its downloading it's been saved on some temporary folder and its only fully available to be moved to a flash drive once its fully downloaded, I could be wrong though the last time I tried this was in WinXP and it could work differently now, the easiest way is just try yourself if it worked it worked if it didn't well you know you'll have to transfer to the pen drive afterwards.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Most browsers save to your downloads folder by default, but you can set them to save to pretty much any directory. Some allow you to choose where to save your file each time you go to download (Internet Explorer)

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

You can. The reason why firefox do that because you did not specify the download location. Change it first or hit save as to choose a location

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As far as I recall you can't directly save large files like a movie because meanwhile its downloading it's been saved on some temporary folder and its only fully available to be moved to a flash drive once its fully downloaded

Chrome will save a .part file in the folder it is saving to. 

A bigger problem is the  file system used. If the USB is fat32 you're limited to 2GB file size if you're using NTFS the max file size is 16 TB.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

ALL downloads will save to the TEMP folder until the download is complete, then it will transfer to the thumbdrive, so no matter what there will be at least a temp copy on the computer (at least that has been my experience with trying to save directly to a flash drive).

4 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

If the USB is fat32 you're limited to 2GB file size

Its 4GB, but yea, that's a limitation of fat.

5 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Makes no difference what drive you download it to. But you should be able to choose where you save a file when downloading it.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

ALL downloads will save to the TEMP folder until the download is complete, then it will transfer to the thumbdrive, so no matter what there will be at least a temp copy on the computer (at least that has been my experience with trying to save directly to a flash drive).

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

It depends on the file system used. If the USB is fat32 you're limited to 2GB file size if you're using NTFS the max file size is 16 TB.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You can. The reason why firefox do that because you did not specify the download location. Change it first or hit save as to choose a location

3 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

Most browsers save to your downloads folder by default, but you can set them to save to pretty much any directory. Some allow you to choose where to save your file each time you go to download (Internet Explorer)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As far as I recall you can't directly save large files like a movie because meanwhile its downloading it's been saved on some temporary folder and its only fully available to be moved to a flash drive once its fully downloaded, I could be wrong though the last time I tried this was in WinXP and it could work differently now, the easiest way is just try yourself if it worked it worked if it didn't well you know you'll have to transfer to the pen drive afterwards.

Thank You everyone so much for the immediate feedback.

Im sorry to ask a question after a question, but is there a way i can check the file before downloading? or just a way in general that IF the file is infected, i can avoid it? (i prefer not to have to reinstall my OS twice in one week haha).

Thank You Everyone :D

-Made In Canada

1 minute ago, Made In Canada said:

Im sorry to ask a question after a question, but is there a way i can check the file before downloading? or just a way in general that IF the file is infected, i can avoid it? (i prefer not to have to reinstall my OS twice in one week haha).

If you don't have anti virus program already installed, there are sites you can use to scan individual files such as: https://www.virustotal.com/

Thank You everyone so much for the immediate feedback.

Have a GOOD antivirus that is set to scan files at download, my AV will immediately quarantine downloads at the moment they finish downloading if it detects a virus in them (this doesn't work on Zipped or RAR'd files), besides downloading is not typically how you get infected, LAUNCHING the file is how you get infected, most of the time you can download then scan the file before use.

14 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

Quick and simple. Can you you download a file/s directly onto a flashdrive/ thumbdrive/ USB drive?

In case your wondering: im trying to find 3d printed lamp shade designs for my sister's Christmas present and due to not knowing the website all that well (Yeggi, Thingaverse) i would rather download the file not into my main drives.

And when i download on firefox, it kinda just starts downloading into one of my other drives.

should be able to just right click the download file, and choose "save as" and then select the file location

Just now, pwn_intended said:

If you don't have anti virus program already installed, there are sites you can use to scan individual files such as: https://www.virustotal.com/

I got Avast and Malwarebytes, but sadly i dont think i can just right click the file and scan it.

-Made In Canada

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

Have a GOOD antivirus that is set to scan files at download, my AV will immediately quarantine downloads at the moment they finish downloading if it detects a virus in them (this doesn't work on Zipped or RAR'd files), besides downloading is not typically how you get infected, LAUNCHING the file is how you get infected, most of the time you can download then scan the file before use.

You would not happen to know if you can do that with Avast or Malwarebytes, would you?

-Made In Canada

2 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

I got Avast and Malwarebytes, but sadly i dont think i can just right click the file and scan it.

I don't use avast, and the free Malwarebytes version no longer lets you selectively scan folders. If you want, I can take a look at the file in question, let me know where you are downloading from and if it looks suspicious ill just do it in my VM.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

(this doesn't work on Zipped or RAR'd files)

Most good AV software can scan in zipped files 3 or 4 levels deep. My trend micro at work definitely does this.

Edited by pwn_intended
typo

Good antivirus programs such as NOD32 and Kaspersky will shut down the connection in the middle of it if they sense a virus, there are some web pages you can go to too to check like @pwn_intended mentioned https://www.virustotal.com/ is a good call, there is only so much Windows Defender can do and if you like to explore the internet and download exotic stuff considering buying a license for a good antivirus is advised, the last thing you want is to end up getting those Chinese virus that basically ruins yours PC and formatting ends up being the only way to go.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Good antivirus programs such as NOD32 and Kaspersky will shut down the connection in the middle of it if they sense a virus, there are some web pages you can go to too to check like @pwn_intended mentioned https://www.virustotal.com/ is a good call, there is only so much Windows Defender can do and if you like to explore the internet and download exotic stuff considering buying a license for a good antivirus is advised, the last thing you want is to end up getting those Chinese virus that basically ruins yours PC and formatting ends up being the only way to go.

Luckily formatting is not a problem for me :D

-Made In Canada

You would not happen to know if you can do that with Avast or Malwarebytes, would you?

Haven't used Avast in many, many, many years, I have no idea what they like today and my only experience with MalwareBytes is cleaning up an infected computer, i've not used it to the level needed to know what it can do.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I don't use avast, and the free Malwarebytes version no longer lets you selectively scan folders. If you want, I can take a look at the file in question, let me know where you are downloading from and if it looks suspicious ill just do it in my VM.

Thank you So Much, that would be EXTREMELY appreciated. There are 3 downloads in question which are from these 3 links (this is the page where you click download and not the download file itself).

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:504338

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19104

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:584714

If you could check those that would be FANTASTIC! Seriously, you could be saving my PC while i try to get a Christmas present.

(the main ones im really interested in are the first and third if that changes anything).

-Made In Canada

4 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Haven't used Avast in many, many, many years, I have no idea what they like today and my only experience with MalwareBytes is cleaning up an infected computer, i've not used it to the level needed to know what it can do.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but since you seem to know a fair amount of this, would you recommend using a different anti-virus and or anti-malware software? (preferably free since im still in school).

I know Candence recommended a few but i also would not mind hearing your opinion too.

-Made In Canada

Sorry to ask so many questions, but since you seem to know a fair amount of this, would you recommend using a different anti-virus and or anti-malware software? (preferably free since im still in school).

I know Candence recommended a few but i also would not mind hearing your opinion too.

I've been using Eset Smart Security for years now, it's not free and is pretty good, but I'm getting ready to look for a decent free AV to load onto computers I work on to keep setup costs down for people on a tight budget.

2 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

-snip-

You don't have to worry about files off thingverse, they will be safe. Especially when you see how many people have downloaded it and commented on them. Seriously, I'm not gonna bother checking them because they are definitely safe.

If you are in University, chances are good that you get AV for free from your school.

At the end of the day, I run trendmicro at work because we have to (I'm a computer tech/admin) but on my home machine I just use windows defender and call it a day. Do as I say and not as I do though, and use something like avast if you don't have access to paid AV.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

You don't have to worry about files off thingverse, they will be safe. Especially when you see how many people have downloaded it and commented on them. Seriously, I'm not gonna bother checking them because they are definitely safe.

If you are in University, chances are good that you get AV for free from your school.

At the end of the day, I run trendmicro at work because we have to (I'm a computer tech/admin) but on my home machine I just use windows defender and call it a day. Do as I say and not as I do though, and use something like avast if you don't have access to paid AV.

Well in that case, Alright! :D

Thank You Very Much, dunno if that was a rookie mistake or not but non the less, you have my gratitude.

-Made In Canada