genuine question: why a 4k tv?

lettuce head

in this little hypothetical, I'm assuming this consumer (I'll refer to him as Bob), does not stream Netflix, youtube, or the like, does not use 4k Blu-ray, and understands that ps4/xbox1S only upscales 1080p.

Is there any actual reason to get a 4k tv, with cable pretty much only running at 1080p at best? most "hd" channels around here (east coast US) run at 1080i. why do people burn thousands on a 4k tv?

and then the bonus question, and then why flame people who spend 2,000 dollars on a pc?

I think the only real reason is if you do have Blurays, and if you sit close enough to actually be able to tell the difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

for your assumption, there is no need for a 4k tv. If the only thing the consumer watches is cable TV, almost no point in a 4k tv. Better off buying one when cable tv streams in 4k and by that time, 4k tvs will be hellacheap. 

As for your bonus question, the people who flame $2000 dollar pc owners have no idea what their use is like so they are simply salty nubs

2 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

in this little hypothetical, I'm assuming this consumer (I'll refer to him as Bob), does not stream Netflix, youtube, or the like, does not use 4k Blu-ray, and understands that ps4/xbox1S only upscales 1080p.

Is there any actual reason to get a 4k tv, with cable pretty much only running at 1080p at best? most "hd" channels around here (east coast US) run at 1080i. why do people burn thousands on a 4k tv?

and then the bonus question, and then why flame people who spend 2,000 dollars on a pc?

My guess is that if you aren't really watching any 4k content, even if it's technically at 1080p, the cinematic experience of having a 4k TV and the luxury of having one is a reason why someone might buy a 4k TV.

Same thing for spending 2000 dollars on a PC, you could probably build one with the same raw performance but it's the little luxuries that make it worth for the consumer to spend there money on.

TL;DR: Because they want to and can afford to spend extra money.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think the only real reason is if you do have Blurays, and if you sit close enough to actually be able to tell the difference.

even then, blu-rays run at 1080p. only the 4k Blu-ray runs higher (obvi) but ive yet to see an actual 4k Blu-ray disk

Just now, duckwithanokhat said:

My guess is that if you aren't really watching any 4k content, even if it's technically at 1080p, the cinematic experience of having a 4k TV and the luxury of having one is a reason why someone might buy a 4k TV.

Same thing for spending 2000 dollars on a PC, you could probably build one with the same raw performance but it's the little luxuries that make it worth for the consumer to spend there money on.

TL;DR: Because they want to and can afford to spend extra money.

I mean sure, but just buy a big ass full-hd tv.

Just now, lettuce head said:

even then, blu-rays run at 1080p. only the 4k Blu-ray runs higher (obvi) but ive yet to see an actual 4k Blu-ray disk

Hm, I thought you could get 4k Blurays... 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, lettuce head said:

I mean sure, but just buy a big ass full-hd tv.

then with the saved money go buy another set of solid gold rims for his buggatti.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, I thought you could get 4k Blurays... 

well sure, ive never gone out and looked for them, but I've yet to see one just in passing. they just seem pretty hard to find. my buddy who's an IT where I work, is super big into the 4k Blu-ray thing. and even he commented on how hard it is to find 4k Blu-ray discs. to the point where he rips everything an stores them on external drives.

Let me explain my purchase of one. I'm sure it is different for others.

I don't have cable or tv services anymore as they were too expensive and useless to me. My TV is embarrassingly small (early 2000 model something I believe) to most people but I was content with it and still am (ye 'ole faithful). I would personally never purchase a tv with such a price tag, however my ma loves huge tvs, always wanted one, so I went out this Black Friday and found a 49" 4k LG tv (120 refresh rate) for $450 (plus $65 for a 5 year warranty) so she could watch with Netflix/PSVue and blurays/dvds. I stood before the tv in the store comparing it to others next to it and the difference was immense next to non-4K tvs. Watching something like Netflix or blurays reveals an insane quality difference, plus there are a ton of features that are actually useful and the 49" is easy enough to see across the room. 

For a min-theater, high quality experience for non-tv reasons I can understand why people buy them now.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

3 hours ago, Albatross said:

Let me explain my purchase of one. I'm sure it is different for others.

I don't have cable or tv services anymore as they were too expensive and useless to me. My TV is embarrassingly small (early 2000 model something I believe) to most people but I was content with it and still am (ye 'ole faithful). I would personally never purchase a tv with such a price tag, however my ma loves huge tvs, always wanted one, so I went out this Black Friday and found a 49" 4k LG tv (120 refresh rate) for $450 (plus $65 for a 5 year warranty) so she could watch with Netflix/PSVue and blurays/dvds. I stood before the tv in the store comparing it to others next to it and the difference was immense next to non-4K tvs. Watching something like Netflix or blurays reveals an insane quality difference, plus there are a ton of features that are actually useful and the 49" is easy enough to see across the room. 

For a min-theater, high quality experience for non-tv reasons I can understand why people buy them now.

And then there is 4K + OLED. Now they are sexy!!!

Most current models of large TV are 4K anyway.  It would take extra effort to buy a large 1080p screen.  Keeping in mind that televisions, especially larger ones that will be the center point of a living room, can be very long term purchases, often up to 10 or more years of usage will come from them, the futureproofing also makes sense.

We didn't necessarily need 4k (we purely stream) but we wanted OLED.  Considering we were already spending the premium for OLED we decided to go with a 4k model with the hopes that the panel will last through a few changes in tech.  Couldn't be happier.

Netflix 4k is hit or miss on quality but some of it looks amazing.  

Since purchasing the TV, I have started loading 4k movies on our Plex server, which is equally as amazing.

IMHO, worth it.

11 hours ago, Dark said:

We didn't necessarily need 4k (we purely stream) but we wanted OLED.  Considering we were already spending the premium for OLED we decided to go with a 4k model with the hopes that the panel will last through a few changes in tech.  Couldn't be happier.

Netflix 4k is hit or miss on quality but some of it looks amazing.  

Since purchasing the TV, I have started loading 4k movies on our Plex server, which is equally as amazing.

IMHO, worth it.

i think thats the way to go. if youre upgrading, and you were already springing on an oled tv, and you stream, might as well go for the 4k.

4K tv prices have dropped a lot, though, to be fair. When I bought my 47" 1080p TV, I spent $800 or so and it wasn't even a smart TV. Sure this was a few years ago, but 4K was a brand new concept to the consumer market and there were smart tvs available.

My mom just bought her first TV (she had been using one of those super old CRT screen for YEARS) and she got a 4K smart TV for $600.
If you are buying a TV, chances are you are planning on spending $400+, and there are 4K options in that price range, some over 50". If you can afford tech that is becoming more and more mainstream and supported across the board, even though you might not get many immediate benefits at the time of purchase, why would you not get the best you can afford?

It seems silly to insist that someone sticks to 1080p indefinitely. I can see a huge difference between a 1080p youtube video on my 1080p screen compared to that same 1080p video on a 4K screen. its not life or death crazy, but its noticeable.