error creating dynamic memory for a structure. C

MisterWhite
Go to solution Solved by Unimportant,

First of all, you can create a array of 12 char's straight in the struct definition, that saves you a malloc, a free, and a potential leak:

typedef struct
{
    int score;
    int time;
    char name[12];
}HighScore;

Secondly, you pass a pointer to the highScore pointer to your function, in order to use the highScore pointer itself you must first dereference the pointer to the highScore pointer:

int getHighScore(HighScore **highScore,int *records)
{
	int nr=0;
  	//* dereferences the pointer to HighScore pointer, so you have acces to highScore pointer
	*highScore=malloc(sizeof(HighScore)*10);//to have memory for 10 records
	while(!feof(highScoreTable))
	{
      		//Following line is no longer needed, because of the change we made to the struct...
	  	//highScore[nr]->name=malloc(sizeof(char)*12);// so that name would have memory for 12 chars

//highScoreTable is a FILE*
      		fscanf(highScoreTable,"%d %d %s\n",&(*highScore)[nr].score ,&(*highScore)[nr].time, (*highScore)[nr].name);
      		nr++;
	}
}

The fscanf line is complex so let's go over it in more detail:

//highScore is a pointer to a HighScore pointer and we want to get pointers to the members to pass to fscanf...
//First , we need to dereference the pointer to pointer to get access to the pointer:

*highScore

//Then, we need to index the array:

(*highScore)[nr]

//Because [] also dereferences the pointer we need to access the members using . , not ->

(*highScore)[nr].score

//But we need the address of this member, not the member itself:

&(*highScore)[nr].score

//But, member name is a array, array names decay into a pointer so we do NOT need to take it's address:

(*highScore)[nr].name  //<-- note the missing &

And now have a drink to soothe your brain :)

i have this struct:

typedef struct
{
    int score;
    int time;
    char *name;//will have space for 12 chars
}HighScore;

in main i have this:

HighScore *highScore=NULL;//will have 10 records
menuScreen(&highScore,&highScoreRecords);//scoreRecords is just number, not an issue

now functions:

int menuScreen(HighScore **highScore,int *records)// records all good
{
	getHighScore(highScore,records);// passing correctly?
}

{
	int nr=0;
	highScore=malloc(sizeof(HighScore)*10);//to have memory for 10 records
	{
	  //segmentation fault in this allocation
      highScore[nr]->name=malloc(sizeof(char)*12);// so that name would have memory for 12 chars
      fscanf(highScoreTable,"%d %d %s\n",&(highScore[nr]->score),&(highScore[nr]->time),highScore[nr]->name);//am i reading this correcly?
      nr++;
	}
}

I had this done with arrays but now i have to do them with dynamic memory and i'm not sure what 'i'm doing wrong

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

First of all, you can create a array of 12 char's straight in the struct definition, that saves you a malloc, a free, and a potential leak:

typedef struct
{
    int score;
    int time;
    char name[12];
}HighScore;

Secondly, you pass a pointer to the highScore pointer to your function, in order to use the highScore pointer itself you must first dereference the pointer to the highScore pointer:

{
	int nr=0;
  	//* dereferences the pointer to HighScore pointer, so you have acces to highScore pointer
	{
      		//Following line is no longer needed, because of the change we made to the struct...
	  	//highScore[nr]->name=malloc(sizeof(char)*12);// so that name would have memory for 12 chars

fscanf(highScoreTable,"%d %d %s\n",&(*highScore)[nr].score ,&(*highScore)[nr].time, (*highScore)[nr].name);
      		nr++;
	}
}

The fscanf line is complex so let's go over it in more detail:

//highScore is a pointer to a HighScore pointer and we want to get pointers to the members to pass to fscanf...
//First , we need to dereference the pointer to pointer to get access to the pointer:

*highScore

//Then, we need to index the array:

(*highScore)[nr]

//Because [] also dereferences the pointer we need to access the members using . , not ->

(*highScore)[nr].score

//But we need the address of this member, not the member itself:

&(*highScore)[nr].score

//But, member name is a array, array names decay into a pointer so we do NOT need to take it's address:

(*highScore)[nr].name  //<-- note the missing &

And now have a drink to soothe your brain :)

44 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

snip

Thank you for your reply. But the task is to use dynamic memory instead of arrays so that's what i have to do.

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

But you are using dynamic memory for the entire struct (malloc), there is no point in allocating members separately unless they vary in length.

Anyway, everything i said still applies, if you really need to allocate the name member dynamically aswell:

{
	int nr=0;
	{ 	
      		(*highScore)[nr].name=malloc(sizeof(char)*12);// so that name would have memory for 12 chars

nr++;
	}
}

Hi,
I noticed some other errors...

You only allocate Memory for 10 scores but you don't exit the loop after 10 Iterations.

And you asking for a buffer overflow in your fscanf since you don't restrict the amount characters that you read in for the name. You can provide scanf functions with a field width. "%11s" would do the trick for you.

To highlight the buffer overflow I created the following example for you:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
    const char lString[] = "some_really_long_string";
    char random1[8];
    char toShort[4];
    char random2[8];

strncpy(random1, "random", sizeof(random1));
    strncpy(random2, "random", sizeof(random2));

sscanf(lString, "%s", toShort);
    printf("toShort: %s\n", toShort);
    printf("random1: %s random2: %s\n", random1, random2);
    return 0;
}

And here the output of my Application:

./test 
toShort: some_really_long_string
random1: random random2: ing

As you can see random2 two was overridden by the ing of  "some_really_long_string" and to short appears to be holding way more than it should. 

As a Developer never trust that input is formatted in a specified way! Always make sure you don't read more data in that you can store ;) 

Best Regards

Timo