Dead motherboard? Asus

Hi guys. My system suddenly shuts off while I was watching youtube video.  I've tried replacing PSU, removed the memory but the motherboard doesn't start (the cpu fan only spins for half a second then stops).  I also tried starting the motherboard without anything (ram,cpu,peripherals,gpu), but it's only keep on turning on and off by itself. What do you think is wrong? Probably a dead motherboard? It's only a year and a month old.

Specs:

Asus H81M-D

Intel G3240

Kingston 1600mhz 4gb

Xigmatek A400 PSU (400WATTS)

I personally think that is a power supply.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

I personally think that is a power supply.

I've already tried another working psu and same things happen.. my current psu also passed on paperclip test.

1 minute ago, darkwizard06 said:

I've already tried another working psu and same things happen.. my current psu also passed on paperclip test.

I'm just saying every dead PSU I've ever had has done this.  Now I could imagine it being a bad VRM.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

I'm just saying every dead PSU I've ever had has done this.  Now I could imagine it being a bad VRM.

I remember, I am using the "high performance" power options since I built this, which sets the cpu at its highest clock speed even when Idle. Can it contribute also to the damage? 

5 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

I remember, I am using the "high performance" power options since I built this, which sets the cpu at its highest clock speed even when Idle. Can it contribute also to the damage? 

uh, yea. That probably has something to do with it...

Spoiler

I have experienced this a while ago, the BIOS was defective, and a technician copied the BIOS from another board. Also, try cleaning the CMOS. I've heard that Xigmatek PSUs are low quality, not sure it's that, but it could have killed your board.

1 hour ago, Murilo_A said:

I have experienced this a while ago, the BIOS was defective, and a technician copied the BIOS from another board. Also, try cleaning the CMOS. I've heard that Xigmatek PSUs are low quality, not sure it's that, but it could have killed your board.

Thanks for your input, but if you were me, this xigmatek psu appears to be still functional as of the moment, would you still use this psu after buying a new motherboard? 

5 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

Thanks for your input, but if you were me, this xigmatek psu appears to be still functional as of the moment, would you still use this psu after buying a new motherboard? 

No, I have seen videos that Xigmatek PSUs are really bad. I'd recommend Corsair

18 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

Hi guys. My system suddenly shuts off while I was watching youtube video.  I've tried replacing PSU, removed the memory but the motherboard doesn't start (the cpu fan only spins for half a second then stops).  I also tried starting the motherboard without anything (ram,cpu,peripherals,gpu), but it's only keep on turning on and off by itself. What do you think is wrong? Probably a dead motherboard? It's only a year and a month old.

Specs:

Asus H81M-D

Intel G3240

Kingston 1600mhz 4gb

Xigmatek A400 PSU (400WATTS)

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81MD/HelpDesk_Download/ Try downloading the latest BIOS from the ASUS website and flashing, but looking at that board the VRMs have no heat sinks, so if the CPU was running at full speed all the time (WHY WHY WHY WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, HOW TO NOT KILL A PC 101) then they would be the issue, and may have killed the VRM too. A bad PSU could also have done it in. This is the BIOS options. 

2016-12-12 (3).png

Edited by Lord Nicoll

Yours faithfully

Yea looks like a dead board to me. 

6 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

Yeap I'd change it out. Might as well grab a high quality psu.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81MD/HelpDesk_Download/ Try downloading the latest BIOS from the ASUS website and flashing, but looking at that board the VRMs have no heat sinks, so if the CPU was running at full speed all the time (WHY WHY WHY WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, HOW TO NOT KILL A PC 101) then they would be the issue, and may have killed the VRM too. A bad PSU could also have done it in. This is the BIOS options. 

2016-12-12 (3).png

I would be happy to try your suggestion, but unfortunately the board doesn't even start. After pressing and shorting the power button, cpu fan only rotates half a second and halts.

Just now, darkwizard06 said:

I would be happy to try your suggestion, but unfortunately the board doesn't even start. After pressing and shorting the power button, cpu fan only rotates half a second and halts.

you don't need to boot the PC, hell for some of ASUS's high end mobo's you don't even need a CPU or RAM in it. IDK how that bios flash works for that board but for my ROG boards (I'm a fanboy for ROG so I have a few) all you need is USB flashdrive. I'd advise googling it a bit more, but since it's already fucked what can you do, fuck it some more?

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

you don't need to boot the PC, hell for some of ASUS's high end mobo's you don't even need a CPU or RAM in it. IDK how that bios flash works for that board but for my ROG boards (I'm a fanboy for ROG so I have a few) all you need is USB flashdrive. I'd advise googling it a bit more, but since it's already fucked what can you do, fuck it some more?

Haha. Yeah. I will try your suggestion later hoping it will be fixed, otherwise it will become a wall decor. 

Just now, darkwizard06 said:

Haha. Yeah. I will try your suggestion later hoping it will be fixed, otherwise it will become a wall decor. 

I hope it didn't kill anything else if it was a hardware failure, it isn't unheard of to have cheap PSUs go nuclear and take everything out, or for VRMs to fail and pass all the 12v to the CPU and go Puff the magic smoke dragon goodbye. 

Yours faithfully