Raspberry Pi for Autonomous Vehicle

I'm in a club at my school where we are going to be making an autonomous vehicle and they want me to to figure out the pros and cons of using a raspberry pi for it. They also want me to figure out these:

• Real Time Capability
    • PRV

• PWM

• Versatility

• Usability

I'd appreciate if anyone can help me out and give me some information on the subject.

The first question you have to ask is can the RasPi even calculate routes in a timely manner? Sure it can pull from Google Maps, but you can't always assume it has access to Google's servers.

The next question is how much processing of the sensors is the RasPi going to do? Is it going to be fed data that's more or less preprocessed and all the RasPi has to do is run a logic, or does it have to handle raw data?

You want to have a look at parallel computing when it comes to things like image processing, or any sensor  information processing. Unless it's a very primitive vehicle you won't get too far with it.

If the vehicle is very small, slow, and durable, then I think a raspberry pi can work. (RC Car) :)

Making a prius autonomous, I would want a laptop with a 1080 for cuda cores to process the data from the external sensors, and I might need a welder to get the cables through the firewall.