What are these files and it is safe to delete them?

Freezanator
Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,
Just now, Freezanator said:

@NonaHexa, I'm left with 3 files. When I try to delete them, they say that the process is open in Windows Explorer and from past experiences, I know that ending Windows Explorer in the Task Manager is not a good idea. :( 

They might be in use right now. Would it be too much for you to just do a clean driver install? 

1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here.
  2. Download the current drivers for your computer from here.
  3. Run DDU and remove all traces of your current drivers.
  4. After restarting your computer, install the latest drivers for your machine that you downloaded in step 2.

That should clean things up for you, and those files should go, or at least be deletable after!

There are these 41 files in my SSD which are taking up 54 MB of space (I know it doesn't seem much, but, SSD users out there, you know what I mean). I right clicked on every one of them and under "Digital Signatures" they have 2 entries, both by NVIDIA Corporation with "Digest Algortihm" of sha 1 and sha 256 respectively. All of the files have the .TMP extension (TMP File). Is it safe to delete these 41 files? Could anyone tell me what they are? Thanks! (Screenshots below)

Screenshot (61).png

Screenshot (62).png

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

They're likely just temporary files left over after a driver update. It looks like nothing has been done with them since the 26th of October, so I'd say it's safe to delete them. If anything bad happens, it's only likely to be drivers issues that would be fixed with a clean driver install, and that's worst case. More likely than not, you can just delete them.

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

They're likely just temporary files left over after a driver update. It looks like nothing has been done with them since the 26th of October, so I'd say it's safe to delete them. If anything bad happens, it's only likely to be drivers issues that would be fixed with a clean driver install, and that's worst case. More likely than not, you can just delete them.

Ok, I'll give it a try and delete them. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

@NonaHexa, I'm left with 3 files. When I try to delete them, they say that the process is open in Windows Explorer and from past experiences, I know that ending Windows Explorer in the Task Manager is not a good idea. :( 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

@NonaHexa, here's the screenshot: 

Screenshot (64).png

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

They might be in use right now. Would it be too much for you to just do a clean driver install? 

4. After restarting your computer, install the latest drivers for your machine that you downloaded in step 2.

That should clean things up for you, and those files should go, or at least be deletable after!

3 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I still have the 376.19 driver with me, so I'll skip step 2. I'll be back in a bit, wish me luck! :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

@NonaHexa Surprise, surprise; it worked! Thanks for your help Nona! :D 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

@NonaHexa Surprise, surprise; it worked! Thanks for your help Nona! :D 

Not a problem! I'm glad you got things in order right quick. :)