GTX 1060 vs RX 480

SoundiBoy

I'm debating between getting one of these two cards. Anyone have suggestions? 

8 minutes ago, SoundiBoy said:

I'm debating between getting one of these two cards. Anyone have suggestions? 

my suggestion is get 480 if you havent enough money for 1060 6gbs one because some people says that 3gb models one is not worth from his price

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

480 8gb, its only going to get better especially with DX12 and Vulcan and has already made up a lot of ground on the 1060

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

480 8gb if you have the $220 and don't mind the AMD Catalyst drivers. Especially if you are upgrading monitors at some point during the cards lifespan since Freesync is pretty much a free add on to new monitors where as Gsync cost either a hand or an entire arm.

I would get whichever one is cheaper. They both offer very similar performance. The 1060 is marginally better but in new DX12 and Vulcan games, the 480 can be better by a few percent. 

GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB

RX 480 8GB

What games do you want to play?

What resolution? 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 4k

Whats your budget (if any)

I may have a GTX 1070, but in my opinion, AMD Drivers are always getting better from past experiences and also game benchmarks of my friends computer (RX 460) and the 1060 doesnt seem to be improving too much

3 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

480 8gb if you have the $220 and don't mind the AMD Catalyst drivers. Especially if you are upgrading monitors at some point during the cards lifespan since Freesync is pretty much a free add on to new monitors where as Gsync cost either a hand or an entire arm.

Which variant of the RX 480 would you recommend? 

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB

RX 480 8GB

What games do you want to play?

What resolution? 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 4k

Whats your budget (if any)

I may have a GTX 1070, but in my opinion, AMD Drivers are always getting better from past experiences and also game benchmarks of my friends computer (RX 460) and the 1060 doesnt seem to be improving too much

My budget is around $250 but it's lenient.

I'll be playing everything at 1080p

1 minute ago, SoundiBoy said:

Don't rule out a 1050ti though check out some benchmarks. If you are going 1080 gaming and not upgrading it might do everything you want to $100 cheaper.

2 minutes ago, SoundiBoy said:

Personally I like MSI and Gigabyte products. Ive grown on Asus. Never had EVGA gpu's, but I hear great things about EVGA

RX 480 does better in DX12, very few games are built on DX12. 

Buy whatever card gets you the best cooling solution for the cheapest price (so you can get a good OC out of it).

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Personally I like MSI and Gigabyte products. Ive grown on Asus. Never had EVGA gpu's, but I hear great things about EVGA

EVGA are Nvidia only

5 minutes ago, SoundiBoy said:

Ive had a lot of success with both Sapphire and XFX, I've never considered any others for AMD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

Don't rule out a 1050ti though check out some benchmarks. If you are going 1080 gaming and not upgrading it might do everything you want to $100 cheaper.

A 1050ti will struggle in most games at 1080p. RX 470 is the minimum I would recommend for smooth 1080p.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I overheard something, and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Does the RX line of graphics cards have a thermal problem? 

1 minute ago, SoundiBoy said:

I overheard something, and I'm not sure if it's true or not. Does the RX line of graphics cards have a thermal problem? 

it was the EVGA FTW cards i believe that had the thermal problem because they didnt have thermal pads on the Vram

2 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-1060

Seems to do just fine being playable on all games on max settings. Not everyone has to max out games at 144hz to call it playable.

I've seen benchmarks where the 1050ti drops well below 60fps on very high/ultra settings across multiple games. Since I have the budget, I might as well get a more powerful card that will exceed a steady and stable 60+ fps on max settings. 

6 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-1060

Seems to do just fine being playable on all games on max settings. Not everyone has to max out games at 144hz to call it playable.

From personal experience the 960 (which is slightly better than the 1050ti) struggles in more intensive games.

Also make sure that the CPU used in those benchmarks was an actually realistic one, not a 6700k or something..

4 minutes ago, SoundiBoy said:

I've seen benchmarks where the 1050ti drops well below 60fps on very high/ultra settings across multiple games. Since I have the budget, I might as well get a more powerful card that will exceed a steady and stable 60+ fps on max settings. 

As long as you looked into it and are making an informed decision based on games you play not a bad choice by any means to go with something with a lil more power.

2 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

As long as you looked into it and are making an informed decision based on games you play not a bad choice by any means to go with something with a lil more power.

Even if the games he plans on playing do fine on the 1050ti, it is worth it to get a RX 470 as it's price to performance destroys the 1050ti. 

3 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

Even if the games he plans on playing do fine on the 1050ti, it is worth it to get a RX 470 as it's price to performance destroys the 1050ti. 

I don't disagree that the 470 is a fine choice too if it hits the numbers he wanted. He stated he wants to spend his full budget so his original card choices seem solid for hit position. Just like to point out other options as some people watch these you tubers then buy graphics cards that are far more powerful than they need to play WOW, League of Legends, and CS GO. Just because they here that other cards are better.

Like to provide a different viewpoint.

7 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

I don't disagree that the 470 is a fine choice too if it hits the numbers he wanted. He stated he wants to spend his full budget so his original card choices seem solid for hit position. Just like to point out other options as some people watch these you tubers then buy graphics cards that are far more powerful than they need to play WOW, League of Legends, and CS GO. Just because they here that other cards are better.

I got a 750ti way back and that little thing kicked ass (': 

23 minutes ago, ThePartyLeader said:

I agree with that, but I didn't agree with your original statement as it seemed you were suggesting going from a 480/1060 to a 1050ti.