Hybrid Drive's small flash capacity

the gremlin

Building a budget PC for my dad right now, and he wants SSD performance for his OS but the same size as his current pc, 1TB.

Figured this is a perfect time to get a hybrid drive, although I'm a bit confused with how small some of these drives' solid state capacity's are.

64 bit Windows 10 takes up 20 gigs, which isn't nearly small enough to squeeze on the 8 gigs of SS I'm seeing on these drives.

If not even a full OS can fit on these, what is their purpose?

Does the drive not need to store the entire operating system on the flash sector to take advantage of it's speed?

Or am I just looking at the cheap end of the hybrids and I should be looking at some with 32 gigs of SSD?

Thanks for the learning~

It caches files on the SSD but keeps most of it on the hdd.

just get a 250gb SSD and a 1tb hdd and tell him to put his files on the hdd 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Hybrid drives have been a complete failure in my opinion. They were overestimated on what they can do; as a result, the entire product category fell flat on its face. It's a much better investment to get a SSD and a HDD for mass storage. Since SSDs continue to go down in price while HDD pricing have essentially plateaued, there's less incentive to bother with a Hybrid drive.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Hybrid drives have been a complete failure in my opinion. They were overestimated on what they can do; as a result, the entire product category fell flat on its face. It's a much better investment to get a SSD and a HDD for mass storage. Since SSDs continue to go down in price while HDD pricing have essentially plateaued, there's less incentive to bother with a Hybrid drive.

I have 1 friend who has it and he is happy with it. They are overestimated but if you play 1-2 games a lot it can be good or if you use it lightly 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hi @the gremlin!

The hybrid drive are a good option for laptops where you have only one drive bay available and you want to have bigger capacity for your budget. I personally won't use them in a PC because having a dual storage configuration (SSD+HDD) will be faster.

Basically hybrid drives blend HDD capacity with SSD speeds (the small flash capacity you've mentioned) by placing traditional rotating platters, and a small amount of high-speed flash memory on a single drive. So a hybrid drive only has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files, which means that the files within this cache are accessed at SSD speeds while the rest are accessed at standard HDD speeds. If you go with a SSD and a HDD, you can choose what to run faster (OS and most demanding programs on the SSD, for instance) and what not because you'll skip the algorithm part (mass storage on the HDD).

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/