RAID vs Uprgrading

I am upgrading my 1tb Hardrive, and have 2 SSDs; one is a PNY 480GB, another is 500GB Samsung 850 EVO. Should I put them in RAID 0 or sell both to get a 1tb Samsung 850 EVO?

Or just keep both separately and not waste any money? 

They don't have the same controllers anyway so if you were to raid em, you'll fuck both of em nice n quickly :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Sell both and get the 1TB 850 Evo. Its almost like SLI vs single better GPU dilemma, not to mention if you were to get an 850 2TB vs two 1TB 850 EVO's, then it would make mroe sense :p. Do you even need the RAID 0 configuration speeds and are you willing to lose all data if one of the drives fail?

Groomlake Authority

Hi @Maximusfoximus!

Since you already have the drives I would prefer to set them up as a separate storage locations.

That's because unless you need the raw speed for a professional environment (importing/exporting/encoding 40 GB files for instance), then there really isn't a point in setting up a RAID array. For the average user/gamer there is no practical reason to go RAID 0 SSDs. Indeed they will perform faster, but for just loading a your random games, loading the OS and some other random tasks you won't be seeing a huge difference.

If you decide to go with a RAID0 though then keep in mind that it offers no redundancy, so I would suggest to make regular backups of any important data on another location.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/