No internet in bathroom

The Belgian Waffle

Yes, you read it correctly :D

We have an Apple Time Machine and we use it also as a router, because the ISP's router was pure garbage. 

We're using 5GHz, and the router is on top of a furniture, so it can deliver good signal everywhere. My room is 2 floors above and I can achieve exactly the same speeds, or almost, as if I were sitting next to it. 

This is where the problem comes out : it appears that there is something blocking the signal, which causes the speeds to be incredibly slow while being in my bathroom, which is at about 9 or 10 meters from the router (there are 2 doors in-between). 

The wifi antenna is weaker on my phone than on my MacBook (in my room), but I'm surprised that the speeds would be so decreased only by 2 doors (in the bathroom)

Have you guys any idea what's going on? 

Bathrooms usually have what's like a stainless-steel box surrounding them to contain the water and moisture.  The 5GHz is the worse option in terms of trying to penetrate though it. You can try and re-locate your access point so that it goes straight though the door (usually the only spot without metal structures) or you could try enabling 2.4GHz. Even then the reflections inside the bathroom will cause interference so don't get your hopes up too high.

5 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Yes, you read it correctly :D

We have an Apple Time Machine and we use it also as a router, because the ISP's router was pure garbage. 

We're using 5GHz, and the router is on top of a furniture, so it can deliver good signal everywhere. My room is 2 floors above and I can achieve exactly the same speeds, or almost, as if I were sitting next to it. 

This is where the problem comes out : it appears that there is something blocking the signal, which causes the speeds to be incredibly slow while being in my bathroom, which is at about 9 or 10 meters from the router (there are 2 doors in-between). 

The wifi antenna is weaker on my phone than on my MacBook (in my room), but I'm surprised that the speeds would be so decreased only by 2 doors (in the bathroom)

Have you guys any idea what's going on? 

its probably the material that the bathroom walls are made of that is blocking it 

2 minutes ago, KeFy said:

its probably the material that the bathroom walls are made of that is blocking it 

It's actually more a restroom than a proper bathroom, I should've been more precise. But there is the washing machine, a WC and a sink, but yeah, the walls have something on it that is different than the other walls. 

Starting at the sub board level....More water pipes/sewer pipes (especially on a "wet" wall where multiple floors run water pipes down a single wall), Thicker sub flooring, Denser Wallboard/Lath &Plaster/Sheetrock for water resistance, Tile (especially if on the walls) and the underlying cementboard, and the porcelain fixtures. Just that alone would be enough to block most of the 5GHz signal. Metal tends to absorb or reflect wireless signals. Wood absorbs wireless signal. Water absorbs wireless signal. Cement, and tile and plastic absorb wireless signal. Glass and porcelain reflect wireless signal. 

More of a restroom than a proper bathroom would imply the walls are covered by tile or plastic. If there are stalls or a glass shower or tub enclosure then you add in the effect of creating a metal, glass, or stone box (shower/tub surround) around or next to your wireless device and likely between your access point and your phone.

APs transmit at a power level between 0 and 4 Watts. 2.5Ghz (which is just above 802.11g/n frequencies) penetrates into most things pretty well at high levels (greater than 500 Watts, like in your microwave). But the AP is only transmitting at 4 watts (Maximum). If you double that frequency you've lowered the penetration by at least half and more likely by a quarter.  9 or 10 meters is a pretty good distance especially if you are going through multiple walls, even at 2.4 GHz, let alone 5GHz.

If you truly would like to know, try doing your own site survey with something that can measure the signal in dBm (that's deciBels in relation to milliwatts). I use WiFi analyzer for android and I know there are similar apps for iOS like AirPort utility, Network Analyzer and WiFiPerf. Try drawing a map of your dwelling and then recording the dBm of the signal at different points. You'll get a pretty accurate read of where any obstacles might be blocking or reducing wifi connectivity. 0 to -80dBm is pretty decent. -90dBm is ok. -100dBm....it's pretty dicey....not much speed/throughput or signal. -120 to -130dBm....feel lucky you even have a signal but don't expect ANY throughput. 

Just put your router in your bathroom.

/s

Have your router broadcast 2.4ghz alongside 5ghz. 2.4ghz is more crowded and generally slower than 5ghz, but it's distance is amazing compared to 5ghz.