EVGA Thermal Mod

MrAlbertrocks

So my thermal pad kit for my gtx 1080 ftw just arrived today. Should i install it? I know what the installation steps are, but i'm still scared of screwing it up because i've never tried something like that before. And my fear is even higher because i live outside U.S, so if i screw it up, i don't know if the warranty would still apply. What should i do?

4 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

So my thermal pad kit for my gtx 1080 ftw just arrived today. Should i install it? I know what the installation steps are, but i'm still scared of screwing it up because i've never tried something like that before. And my fear is even higher because i live outside U.S, so if i screw it up, i don't know if the warranty would still apply. What should i do?

It's just a matter of removing some screws and applying the thermal pads and new paste and bolting it back together so it not overly complicated. 

One thing though, the fans header and the led header are a bit finicky. so be careful there, other than that its not difficult it just takes some patience, took me about 20-30 mins ( i was taking my time)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

I saw the video but there's a small problem. The instructions i got with the kit say i should also apply VRAM Thermal pads. The instructions don't even say how i am supposed to take the BASEplate off. In the video, he doesn't even apply vram thermal pads, Jay even says i don't need to do that. So now i'm left with the doubt of whether or not i should apply the VRAM thermal pads, and how the hell should i take the baseplate off. 

3 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I saw the video but there's a small problem. The instructions i got with the kit say i should also apply VRAM Thermal pads. The instructions don't even say how i am supposed to take the BASEplate off. In the video, he doesn't even apply vram thermal pads, Jay even says i don't need to do that. So now i'm left with the doubt of whether or not i should apply the VRAM thermal pads, and how the hell should i take the baseplate off. 

there should be 3 pages double sided with those instructions

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

1 minute ago, AdamHolt96 said:

there should be 3 pages double sided with those instructions

I know, it just says "remove the baseplate" Doesn't say how. I haven't taken it apart yet, so it may be more intuitive than i think. 

One last thing, what precautions can i take to avoid damaging the gpu with static?

Just now, MrAlbertrocks said:

I know, it just says "remove the baseplate" Doesn't say how. I haven't taken it apart yet, so it may be more intuitive than i think. 

One last thing, what precautions can i take to avoid damaging the gpu with static?

The baseplate comes off with the screws on the back that are the same screws as the heat sink and back plate.

Spoiler

A buddy should have his full how to up by the end of the weekend. I will link it once its up.

Supposedly, it doesn't really matter.  Thermals weren't the cause of the card failures, it was just another case of bad caps

Just lay the pads on the fan blades and plug the card back in. Worked on mine.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Watch out for the fan wire connector it's very hard too pull it off for my gtx 1080 ftw

Just installed it. It went relatively well, even though it took me about an hour and half because i'm dumb and couldn't figure out how to disconnect the LED and FAN connectors. Thanks for the tips though.