Why do VRM's get hotter the more you OC?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Im aware of what it stands for. The issue is they regulate the voltage down by exchanging voltage for heat, and if the VRM's have to regulate less why do they get hotter?

@Naeaes

These are basically buck converters. 

There have a constant effecency of around 90 to 95%. The power power you pull the more heat your get. 

This could just be something ive noticed but whenever I go for big OC's on my CPU (4.5Ghz for me), why is it that the VRM's get so much hotter? Example: The VRMs are somewhat touchable at stock speeds under full load, but when I push more voltage through the CPU they get hottter. This makes no sense to me because the VRM's would have an easier job right? (Thats like a .5V difference on my CPU). Also, why don't PSU's just have a 6V CPU option and then your VRM's wouldn't have to work as hard.

I could be totally misunderstanding something, but that's what I see happen

Breaking things 1 day at a time

More speed requires more power. More power means more current since your Voltage is relatively static. More current through an electronic device makes electronic device more hotter.

Just now, nitsuga5124 said:

VRM stands for "Voltage Regulator Module", can that explain it?

Im aware of what it stands for. The issue is they regulate the voltage down by exchanging voltage for heat, and if the VRM's have to regulate less why do they get hotter?

@Naeaes

@Naeaes

There have a constant effecency of around 90 to 95%. The power power you pull the more heat your get. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ah that makes sense. Thanks

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@Naeaes

You are thinking, They don't have to regulate as much because you are asking for more power, ie. they are doing less work. 

But you are missing the point where they still have to do the same thing they were doing, but more of it. 

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@Naeaes

Even though they may not have to drop voltage as much if thats what your getting at but the CPU is using more power and a higher current flow and this is what generates the heat.

@Naeaes

No,no. The intent of a VRM is to cut down the voltage and transfer the energy into current and not heat. We get heat because they're quite cheap components and have an awful efficiency. The thing that transfers voltage into heat is a resistor.