4690K overclocking first time - settings

Zeldwx
Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
1 minute ago, Zeldwx said:

Hm, interesting, just got Windows crash while playing WoWarcraft (CPU usage at around 50-75%, not even 100%). Yesterday I've been playing some GTA5 in the city and Witcher 3 in Novigrad, nothing crashed. I increased voltages to 1.170v

Did I messed up something? Or should I do a longer session with Aida96?

You didn't mess anything up, but you need to increase VCore voltage and run something like OCCT for a stress test.  AIDA64 is a good start, but it alone means nothing as far as stability is concerned.

http://www.ocbase.com/  Run the CPU:OCCT tab for 1 to 2 hours.  You'll probably need more voltage to pass it, which only means you weren't using enough to start with.

Hey,

Finally after getting my new motherboard I overclocked this CPU by using knowledge found on the internet.

So I tried to get it on 4.5Ghz but it required me to go 1.205v - and I don't want that because I use my PC for 10 hours per day. http://prntscr.com/dea8o1

I decided to stay at 4.4Ghz with stable 1.160v - http://prntscr.com/dea8va because temperatures are lower by over 5'C

Do you guys think its a good score?

After getting stable clock on FIXED MODE, I decided to go Dynamic-Offset, so my cpu won't stress too much during internet surf etc. So I set base vcore voltage to 1v and in Fixed Mode options added +0.152v so that my cpu voltage can stay 1.160v at max (my mobo gives extra 0.008v so I gave 152 instead 160). Intel C-State Enabled and C1E Support Enabled. VCCIN voltage is 1.888v (didn't touched it), should I change anything?

BIOS screenshots:

http://prntscr.com/deabn4

http://prntscr.com/deabpe

http://prntscr.com/deabr7

Dude... I run my CPU at 1.36V all day every day. That's more than okay. 

You have plently of voltage room, even people trying to be conservative usually go up to 1.3V

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

Dude... I run my CPU at 1.36V all day every day. That's more than okay. 

You have plently of voltage room, even people trying to be conservative usually go up to 1.3V

I heard alot of people say to not go over 1.35V because its not healthy.

Btw my cooler is Fera 3 and case Aquarius X70W with fans on the back set to highest RPM. Added some BIOS screenshots to first post, can you check if everything is ok?

Just now, Zeldwx said:

I heard alot of people say to not go over 1.35V because its not healthy.

Btw my cooler is Fera 3 and case Aquarius X70W with fans on the back set to highest RPM.

It's more than fine... you can run up to 1.4V or even higher if you really want to without issue, but 1.3V is something most everyone can agree is safe for 24/7

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

your motherboard temps shouldnt go above 80c, so monitor them closely while you increase voltage. 

Also use prime95, it might stress your CPU more. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

My skylake i7-6700k runs at 1.230V out of the box at 4.2ghz. People run their CPUs at 1.45V for years and it's okay. Everything up to 1.3V is great and everything below 1.4 is fine. But more than 1.4V.. If I were you, I wouldn't go above that.. Just make sure you cool it sufficiently

Ah, well thanks. I might try going up to 4.5Ghz tomorrow. Btw my CPUID shows minimum cpu clock 4.4Ghz right after system boot, isn't it supposted to go down to 3.5 while idling? Or CPUID shows wrong numers? I am pretty sure I did everything good in BIOS.

Ah, well thanks. I might try going up to 4.5Ghz tomorrow. Btw my CPUID shows minimum cpu clock 4.4Ghz right after system boot, isn't it supposted to go down to 3.5 while idling? Or CPUID shows wrong numers? I am pretty sure I did everything good in BIOS.

No, you have to set it to dynamic voltage mode, otherwise MB it will feed the CPU with constand voltage even when you don't need it. That will reduce the lifespan of the cpu to some degree. You do that in the BIOS as well. In fact, I'd do it right now if I were you..

22 minutes ago, Zeldwx said:

Since you have already made sure that your voltage is dynamically adjusted in BIOS, you need to also make sure that Windows Power Options is set to Balanced or Power Saver within Windows.  If Power Options is set to High Performance your CPU will stay at max frequency and voltage.

31 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

No, you have to set it to dynamic voltage mode, otherwise MB it will feed the CPU with constand voltage even when you don't need it. That will reduce the lifespan of the cpu to some degree. You do that in the BIOS as well. In fact, I'd do it right now if I were you..

Sorry, didn't see you've already do that.. balanced power mode in settings is the way then.. I have it on

10 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Since you have already made sure that your voltage is dynamically adjusted in BIOS, you need to also make sure that Windows Power Options is set to Balanced or Power Saver within Windows.  If Power Options is set to High Performance your CPU will stay at max frequency and voltage.

It worked! Now minimum freq is 800Mhz and vcore is dropping to 0.120v, thanks =D I totally didn't know about that, none of the guides I watched had it included.

Just now, Zeldwx said:

It worked! Now minimum freq is 800Mhz and vcore is dropping to 0.120v, thanks =D I totally didn't know about that, none of the guides I watched had it included.

You're welcome.  Nice idle speed.  Mine only drops to 1200 MHz and approximately .6v, but it's nice and cool at idle.

Whenever you are about to do a work load with heavy CPU usage, switch to High Performance and your CPU will remain at it's maximum overclock frequency until you switch back.  Otherwise just leave it on Balanced as it will scale from idle to maximum based on load.

Hm, interesting, just got Windows crash while playing WoWarcraft (CPU usage at around 50-75%, not even 100%). Yesterday I've been playing some GTA5 in the city and Witcher 3 in Novigrad, nothing crashed. I increased voltages to 1.170v

You didn't mess anything up, but you need to increase VCore voltage and run something like OCCT for a stress test.  AIDA64 is a good start, but it alone means nothing as far as stability is concerned.

http://www.ocbase.com/  Run the CPU:OCCT tab for 1 to 2 hours.  You'll probably need more voltage to pass it, which only means you weren't using enough to start with.