GTX 1080 mistake?

It's been a few days, I've opened a ticket with both Nvidia and Gigabyte before I move to Newegg. If they can't resolve it, but agree it is an issue, I will carry more weight going into my discussion with Newegg. I've moved to Windows 8.1 for testing and it still seems bugged. I know of an available BIOS update for the Maximus VIII Ranger, would it make sense for that to be the issue? I'm a bit wary of flashing the bios as this board isn't supposed to post with 16GB DIMMs until after a certain bios update, and I don't have anything less than a 16GB on-hand, but if that is reasonably suspect I'm willing to try it. Also, thanks to everyone who has helped me with this.

Also: I'm attaching some photo's of the load %'s along side the various games. CSGO is pretty high fps-wise, but it is just another example of the framerate being unlocked and the system not pushing itself. 

CSGO.jpg

Minecraft with 512x texture pack.jpg

Borderlands 2.jpg

On December 1, 2016 at 8:24 PM, AdamHolt96 said:

Your running it at 1080P that's why....

That card is not meant for 1080p which is why it doesn't use more than your 40%. It is more directed to 4K and 1440p. Your CPU is bottlenecking at that resolution.

As someone running a 1080 at 1080p I can tell you, you're wrong.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

On 12/2/2016 at 8:15 PM, master of toasters said:

snip

how many fps do you get in those games? Also did you try to run GPU benchmarks to see if your card actually reaches 100% or not?

edit: I understand you want more than 60fps in borderlands for example but why is it a problem that you get "only" 300 fps in csgo? With the amount of coil whine the gtx 1080 g1 gaming has, i had to lock it at 200 fps so i wouldnt go crazy. 

I used to have a problem with low usage and low fps in some games like you but that was mostly in Rust which is still in beta version so that is understandable. It is a software/driver issue

Edited by Alesek

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

14 hours ago, Alesek said:

how many fps do you get in those games? Also did you try to run GPU benchmarks to see if your card actually reaches 100% or not?

edit: I understand you want more than 60fps in borderlands for example but why is it a problem that you get "only" 300 fps in csgo? With the amount of coil whine the gtx 1080 g1 gaming has, i had to lock it at 200 fps so i wouldnt go crazy. 

I do not need more than 200+ in cs either, i only have a 144hz monitor. But it is just another example of the system being unlocked and not performing. I have run 3DMark Firestrike and got scores close to other 6700k/gtx1080 builds. Also, I do see 100% GPU load if I unlock the frame limit in Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition, GTA:V, Sniper Elite 2 + NZA2 (haven't tested 3). However, since I moved to 8.1 for experimentation,  Arma 3 has fallen into the group of games that aren't playing along. The graphics settings don't seem to matter, it doesn't go past ~60 fps, and it is low loads all around yet again.

Borderlands 2 has picked up a bit, it will give me ~120-140, which is still with low loads, but I'm willing to live with, but the loads will sporadically drop to ~20/25% and I tank to the 50's in fps.