I need a low weight, long battery life laptop.

Hello,

I want to get a laptop which would meet this criteria:

• i5-6xxx/7xxx or better
  • 256GB SSD
  • 13.3" FHD screen
  • Low weight ~1,5(+-200g) / ~3.3 lbs (+-0,44lbs)
  • Long battery life 10+ if possible
  • ~800-900 euros max.
  • Windows machine (no Chromebooks/Macs)
  • Mainly used for programming, CAD, matlab etc. at uni and maybe future work.
  • Will be bought in Europe-Lithuania, so no USA options.

So I've found two variants Lenovo Thinkpad 13 and HP ProBook 430 G4 Which one should I get? Because at university I have a friend who has Probook 430 G2, and that laptop has been spilled twice(Last accident was ~2 years ago.), and to this day is still running strong. And I've heard rumors that Lenovos have c**p motherboard design which is likely to fail.  I want this laptop to last at least 2-3 years. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, IIrmantass said:

So I've found two variants Lenovo Thinkpad 13 and HP ProBook 430 G4 Which one should I get? Because at university I have a friend who has Probook 430 G2, and that laptop has been spilled twice(Last accident was ~2 years ago.), and to this day is still running strong. And I've heard rumors that Lenovos have c**p motherboard design which is likely to fail.  I want this laptop to last at least 2-3 years. 

Consumer Lenovos and Thinkpads are completely different. The Thinkpad 13 has a spill-resistant keyboard just like the ProBook. Another option to consider is the X260. 1 thing to note with most Thinkpads is that the base screen is trash. Please upgrade it.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

6 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Consumer Lenovos and Thinkpads are completely different. The Thinkpad 13 has a spill-resistant keyboard just like the ProBook. Another option to consider is the X260. 1 thing to note with most Thinkpads is that the base screen is trash. Please upgrade it.

Cheapest here with specs i want is ~1300 euros which is too much for me.  

You could have a custom made battery pack and use a DC to DC converter or some other type of regulator.

You could use lithium polymer batteries.

Just now, Velvet Revolver said:

You could have a custom made battery pack and use a DC to DC converter or some other type of regulator.

You could use lithium polymer batteries.

It would be hard to make for weights I'm aiming, but it's definitely an alternative

3 hours ago, IIrmantass said:

I am pretty sure that the Razer blade Stealth and Dell XPS 13 have good enough battery life for you, but for the Stealth you might have to get the 128gb model for that budget. 

Also im from the US so I have no idea about pricing and availability in EU 

2 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

I am pretty sure that the Razer blade Stealth and Dell XPS 13 have good enough battery life for you, but for the Stealth you might have to get the 128gb model for that budget. 

XPS 13 - 1400 starting price and up. Blade stealth - can't find in Lithuania

3 hours ago, IIrmantass said:

XPS 13 - 1400 starting price and up. Blade stealth - can't find in Lithuania

That's the price for the base model XPS 13?

At least in the states it starts off at 1000

5 minutes ago, IIrmantass said:

It would be hard to make for weights I'm aiming, but it's definitely an alternative

It would be actually quite easy, just find the lightest battery solution and build. I believe as said lipo would be the lightest but yet most explosive.

2 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

That's the price for the base model XPS 13?

At least in the states it starts off at 1000

Base model 1100 with i5 and 4GB of Ram which is no good for me.

See for yourself - https://www.dellshop.lt/dell-nesiojami-kompiuteriai/dell-xps/dell-ultrabook-xps-13-9350/ Use google translate if you want to browse more.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

holy shit. In that case, with those specs you're looking for a unicorn

Well, have a guess why I'm here asking for advice  :D 

3 hours ago, Velvet Revolver said:

It would be actually quite easy, just find the lightest battery solution and build. I believe as said lipo would be the lightest but yet most explosive.

I don't know much about building battery packs lol but I have a Aukey 30000mah one that I can charge my laptop with that was $50 which I'm happy with 

4 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

See, the thing about unicorns -- they don't exist

Lenovo's build quality is debatable, but HP's is shit, period. Even their high-end stuff is built cheaper than low-income housing

Now I'm using cheapest acer you can find. With an SSD and a Ram upgrade it's quite good actually. But when you have to carry around , it feels like you have a backpack full of brix. And to be fair that HP has been abused quite badly, and guess what, it somehow works.

22 minutes ago, Votivee said:

No idea if this laptop is available in your area, but it meets all of your criterias almost perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMERZJ6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza  

It is sold out everywhere. The price is a little bit to the real side. 1030 euros. So not that bad actually. What sucks a little is that Ram is soldered, but I shouldn't expect miracles anyways for my criteria and price range Lol.

5 minutes ago, IIrmantass said:

It is sold out everywhere. The price is a little bit to the real side. 1030 euros. So not that bad actually. What sucks a little is that Ram is soldered, but I shouldn't expect miracles anyways for my criteria and price range Lol.

I agree on the ram, kinda wish they sold a 16 gb model, but 8 gb isn't that bad considering the build and the price point.

~Air Cooling Advocate~