Hello, world!

KCmetro

So I decided to build a new computer with the #1 motivator being Star Citizen.

I haven't played it yet, have only watched the videos about it.

Found out about it through Reddit, someone mentioned how it'd be cool to have a puddle jumper (from Stargate) in it.

So I decided to look it up, and was really impressed.

So, here's what I have, I just bought the parts this week:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KCmetro/saved/R3wcf7

I haven't built the computer yet, am still deciding how to divvy up the space on it (512GB SSD & 3TB HDD). I'll use Windows only for gaming, and Linux for everything else (including a host server for virtualization with about a dozen VMs/instances as a self-contained IaaS; will also run Plex). Not sure how to partition things out for both OS types on the SSD & HDD arrangement.

Anyway, I just found out this site has a Star Citizen forum, pretty cool.

3 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

So I decided to build a new computer with the #1 motivator being Star Citizen.

I haven't played it yet, have only watched the videos about it.

Found out about it through Reddit, someone mentioned how it'd be cool to have a puddle jumper (from Stargate) in it.

So I decided to look it up, and was really impressed.

So, here's what I have, I just bought the parts this week:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KCmetro/saved/R3wcf7

I haven't built the computer yet, am still deciding how to divvy up the space on it (512GB SSD & 3TB HDD). I'll use Windows only for gaming, and Linux for everything else (including a host server for virtualization with about a dozen VMs/instances as a self-contained IaaS). Not sure how to partition things out for both OS types on the SSD & HDD arrangement.

good choice... going to buy the galax/kfa2 gtx 1070 hall of fame :D

Cloud II is about as unreliable as a modern headset gets. Namely the most common issue seems to be the dongle dieing. If I were you, I'd look into something with a better RMA record.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Cloud II is about as unreliable as a modern headset gets. Namely the most common issue seems to be the dongle dieing. If I were you, I'd look into something with a better RMA record.

I was getting positive reviews of it. What would you recommend?

Howdy!

That's a nice-looking build, though I would have picked a different case and AIO (Phankets Pro/Primo & Deepcool), but that's just my personal preference...

If you're looking for a corp to join, the folks here are alright...

4 minutes ago, BananaDealer said:

Howdy!

That's a nice-looking build, though I would have picked a different case and AIO (Phankets Pro/Primo & Deepcool), but that's just my personal preference...

If you're looking for a corp to join, the folks here are alright...

What case? I had NZXT last time, hated it. Did a bunch of looking around and the one I ended up getting had lots of positive reviews. I'm not into flashy stuff, would rather drop the cash on improved performance rather than looks, so a big ugly basic-looking case is fine. :) I just hope parts don't break on or in it.

Phankets what? I'll have to google that. ...okay, I see... so that's the case you got?

1 minute ago, KCmetro said:

What case? I had NZXT last time, hated it. Did a bunch of looking around and the one I ended up getting had lots of positive reviews. I'm not into flashy stuff, would rather drop the cash on improved performance rather than looks, so a big ugly basic-looking case is fine. :) I just hope parts don't break on or in it.

Phankets what? I'll have to google that. ...okay, I see... so that's the case you got?

Personally in love with pretty much anything by Phankets (cases, at least). Currently planning a build with a Primo, which is their flagship EATX case, though the Luxe has also been highly promoted and greatly reviewed. Their Evolv series is also good if you're looking for something mid-height and beautiful. It's basically "the" case to go with if you're doing a custom water loop and want all the attention on the interwebs...

A Phankets Pro is ~£90 (don't know how many deer skins that translates to), and it offers great volume, plenty of vents (with filters, mind you) and stellar management... It's my second-best choice, falling just short of the Primo, which offers separate side housing for the PSU, so that it's not in the way of anything, and is made for custom loops in mind. The Pro is perfect if you're looking for something rugged and practical over pretty. All of their cases are fully modular (as long as you keep the basic frame) and can be completely disassembled.

5 hours ago, KCmetro said:

Not only do we have a subforum here, we got a Star Citizen organization. The LTT Conglomerate! You can get all the juicy stuff by asking questions and hanging around our discord: discord.uoltt.org

Blah blah something 'verse

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

7 hours ago, BananaDealer said:

Personally in love with pretty much anything by Phankets (cases, at least). Currently planning a build with a Primo, which is their flagship EATX case, though the Luxe has also been highly promoted and greatly reviewed. Their Evolv series is also good if you're looking for something mid-height and beautiful. It's basically "the" case to go with if you're doing a custom water loop and want all the attention on the interwebs...

A Phankets Pro is ~£90 (don't know how many deer skins that translates to), and it offers great volume, plenty of vents (with filters, mind you) and stellar management... It's my second-best choice, falling just short of the Primo, which offers separate side housing for the PSU, so that it's not in the way of anything, and is made for custom loops in mind. The Pro is perfect if you're looking for something rugged and practical over pretty. All of their cases are fully modular (as long as you keep the basic frame) and can be completely disassembled.

I might get a blanket next time. Looks pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Gyre-Taenn said:

Not only do we have a subforum here, we got a Star Citizen organization. The LTT Conglomerate! You can get all the juicy stuff by asking questions and hanging around our discord: discord.uoltt.org

Blah blah something 'verse

Interesting that of all the games that could get a subform SC does, I'm guessing it's pretty well known in the gaming community at large. Can we join multiple orgs?

11 hours ago, KCmetro said:

Interesting that of all the games that could get a subform SC does, I'm guessing it's pretty well known in the gaming community at large. Can we join multiple orgs?

Uuuuh... Sure, blankets are cool too...

SC has been a major "PC Master Race" thing since it got its' Kickstarter on... So, naturally, a major PC-centric forum would have a focus on it...

Unfortunately, you can't join multiple Orgs...

22 hours ago, BananaDealer said:

4 hours ago, BananaDealer said:

Uuuuh... Sure, blankets are cool too...

SC has been a major "PC Master Race" thing since it got its' Kickstarter on... So, naturally, a major PC-centric forum would have a focus on it...

Unfortunately, you can't join multiple Orgs...

Phankets  ... lol ... I was half asleep with that blankets reply.

Someone over in SC chat said we could join multiple orgs, but that just didn't sound right. Maybe they meant with a different character.

1 hour ago, KCmetro said:

Phankets  ... lol ... I was half asleep with that blankets reply.

Someone over in SC chat said we could join multiple orgs, but that just didn't sound right. Maybe they meant with a different character.

Yeah, probably... Was that our SC Discord chat, or the games' chat?

1 minute ago, BananaDealer said:

Yeah, probably... Was that our SC Discord chat, or the games' chat?

SC chat on RSI site.

26 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

SC chat on RSI site.

That thing still lives?

Was about as dead as the American dream, last time I checked it...

2 minutes ago, BananaDealer said:

That thing still lives?

Was about as dead as the American dream, last time I checked it...

Very active. I'd hope so, too, else a dead chat would lead me to believe it's also a dead game.

I'm curious, is discord the new hyped up option for voice chat/etc.? How is it better than teamspeak, skype, etc. stuff?

47 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

I'm curious, is discord the new hyped up option for voice chat/etc.? How is it better than teamspeak, skype, etc. stuff?

Think Teamspeak, Skype and WhatsApp combined. It works in browser but also has clients for Windows, Android and iOS (linux/OSX in the works) and you don't even need an account to try it out. Just click the link in my sig.

As for multiple orgs, you can only join one but affiliate with others. Right now it's only number padding and how that is beneficial in the future is questionable.

Edit: depending on how much virtualization you want to do it might be a good idea to splurge the extra on a 5820K or 6800K. You may also want to look at vSphere Hypervisor

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

27 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

Think Teamspeak, Skype and WhatsApp combined. It works in browser but also has clients for Windows, Android and iOS (linux/OSX in the works) and you don't even need an account to try it out. Just click the link in my sig.

As for multiple orgs, you can only join one but affiliate with others. Right now it's only number padding and how that is beneficial in the future is questionable.

Edit: depending on how much virtualization you want to do it might be a good idea to splurge the extra on a 5820K or 6800K. You may also want to look at vSphere Hypervisor

That video is hilarious! :D

I want a broom!!!

...actually, I wrote a script called "broom" for automating, cleaning up mess on computers... but, actually, I need to go fancy and write a program called "vacuum_cleaner". Heck, I should just write a "brainiac" application and let it go beyond that, let it dominate the world. The galaxy. The universe.

Okay, anyway, so... cool... I'll check out discord. :)

So with multiple orgs, I saw the lists, so many members in them. How can we tell from those numbers how many are actual members and not just affiliates?

I will go all in with an 8 core CPU later when I also go all in with a dedicated server, this computer is a hybrid, with emphasis on gaming, which explains why the limited 4 core is countered by having 4.0GHz. The 6 core can pull of gaming, but I want to max out the GHz. The 8 core falls behind in GHz but, by that point, it'll be a dedicated server, separate build, with 64GB RAM, and NAS, etc. Call this computer I'm about to build a hybrid gaming pc + server lab. It'll be spread thin on CPU cores for VMs but those same VMs will also be happy to eat up the 32GB RAM that I got for them. On the gaming side of the computer, it'll also be a very happy machine. I'll make a super cool server machine with crazy hardware for it in future. The "lab" component of this computer will be a good way to transition into that. When I build the dedicated server later, I'll repurpose this one into a full-on gaming computer. And yep, I went through the vSphere cert training, good stuff. :) I'm leaning more toward OpenStack these days, but that's impractical with this new build. I'll probably get multiple NUCs for that later. For the time being, I'm just going to stick with the 1 computer that's a pseudo-hybrid.

32 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

So with multiple orgs, I saw the lists, so many members in them. How can we tell from those numbers how many are actual members and not just affiliates?

You can go to the member list of any org and filter for them.

If we use the UOLTT as example you'd go here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT/members#

There you click on Filters membership and select member.

jWXUaUF.png

There you can see that of our 2981 total members 2364 have made the right choice for their main org.

If you look at Operation Pitchfork you'll see that even though they have a lot more members 87% of that are affiliates.

Just saying. I did it the wrong way, 5820K in my gaming rig and E3-1230 v5 in my server. I still can't stream to 2 targets without one suffering. I even started to enslave my HTPC with it's epic J3160 to get where I want. xD

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

9 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

Just saying. I did it the wrong way, 5820K in my gaming rig and E3-1230 v5 in my server. I still can't stream to 2 targets without one suffering. I even started to enslave my HTPC with it's epic J3160 to get where I want. xD

Stream to 2 targets?

Hmmm, well for my purposes I certainly hope my CPU will get the job done. :S 

On 01/12/2016 at 9:19 PM, KCmetro said:

That's cos if you look at the main pinned thread it's 300 pages long and Slick decided it needed it's own subforum but the subforum has gone quieter since we moved to discord.

But the way I see it is SC has more of an active community that meet up regularly than any other game (which is fairly depressing)