Sub 2000€ MicroATX Workstation Build (Monitor included)

I'm helping a friend getting his workstation, must be a microATX build due to space constraints. Budget must be sub 2000 euro

BUDGET LOCATION: Budget must be sub-2000 euro, location is EU, my source of prices is this comparison tool: https://geizhals.eu/ ,my primary merchant is https://www.mindfactory.de

USAGE: 

• Maya: he is using Maya 2015-2016, Mental Ray as rendering engine. Mostly 3D modeling and some particles dynamics simulation
  • The Foundry Mari: this is used for texturing 
  • The Foundry Nuke: check CG render passes and slap-comp, video encoding tools as well.
  • Gaming: mostly sporadic at 1440p with no expectations

REQUIREMENTS:

• Mental Ray, like V-ray and Arnold are CPU only renderers. More cores the better (Mental Ray has a 98% multicore scaling efficiency). Caching particles geometry use lots of RAM, right now his 16GB machine is topping out and the caching process will crash.
  • Mari: More GPU intensive tool, require lots of GPU on-board memory, as all the textures are loaded full res into memory while working. Right now 4GB is a bottleneck  even with moderate-decent quality textures.
  • Nuke: quite an agnostic piece of software require less CPU cores but higher clock speed, will benefit from fast SSD while reading massive multi-layer 16bit float EXR sequences. Require Nvidia GPU even if this feature is not really important, Nuke GPU usage is  extremely limited, is almost a CPU only application, sometimes runs single thread as well. 

PART LIST:

TOTAL: € 1.902,80

€ 1.952,01

My Thoughts:

Motherboard lacks USB 3.1 like newer Skylake ones, but has Thunderbolt support and possible PCIe SSD upgrade route using M.2 slot.

I know Maya ViewPort performance would benefit from and even low-end professional GPU https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-Maya-2014-Professional-GPU-Acceleration-509/ due to driver optimization; BUT lots of on board memory is a much-needed feature. At 399 euro price point only Quadro k1200 or FirePro w5100, both extremely good for modeling; but then will not stand during heavy texturing in Mari. Nuke will benefit form using a PCIe SSD but is out of budget for now.

Any suggestion one CASE-PSU-COOLER combo? Is 750watt to overkill? Is it safe going to a cheaper 650w or even 550w?

Any opinion is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by Gioffa
EDIT 1:Changes PSU and Cooler, EDIT2: Changed cooler, SSD and no OS

I don't have an answer(sorry), but I just wanted to commend you on this post. Best I've ever seen. How long did this take you?

Hope this helps...

-Delta

Are you saying how long to make the post?

Quite a lot actually. When I first submitted the forum gave me back an error and I had to restart all over again. Such a pain.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Gioffa said:

Quite a lot actually. When I first submitted the forum gave me back an error and I had to restart all over again. Such a pain.

Cheers

#PcPartpicker

My life

#PcPartpicker

sucks in EU. Amazon in Europe sucks for PC parts. We still need to dig the web looking for a cheap merchant. And every country is different. That's why I use https://geizhals.eu/ 

Can we please go back on topic? 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Gioffa said:

Cheers

A GTX 1080?

I would also get a bit better cooler if you overclock

The monitor must be 1440p, in this way applications Viewports are bigger. These professional software are cluttered with tools bars and my friend cannot run a multiple screen setup right now

Cheers

1 minute ago, Gioffa said:

The monitor must be 1440p, in this way applications Viewports are bigger. These professional software are cluttered with tools bars and my friend cannot run a multiple screen setup right now

Cheers

Also quote people so they know

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

A GTX 1080?

1080 is at least 599 from Inno3D brand (is it any good?) I would need do squeeze some budget for other components.

Noctua NH-D14I more keen into changing PSU with a 650 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA  at 83 euro and getting a better cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 at 69 euro

Cheers

1 minute ago, Gioffa said:

1080 is at least 599 from Inno3D brand (is it any good?) I would need do squeeze some budget for other components.

Noctua NH-D14I more keen into changing PSU with a 650 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA  at 83 euro and getting a better cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 at 69 euro

Cheers

Yeah you can do that. DH14 is a nice cooler

Inno3d is not bad. They make good gpu. Unless your friend is fine with games running 1440p at 30fps-60fps

7 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah you can do that. DH14 is a nice cooler

Inno3d is not bad. They make good gpu. Unless your friend is fine with games running 1440p at 30fps-60fps

As I was saying gaming is probably the last thing he will do on this PC.

Cooler + Motherboard , on Noctua website it says:

Possible compatibility issues with video cards that have large protruding components at the back. Please see FAQ.

I think to be safe i should get something smaller.

What do you suggest? http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s this one will fit better the SFF of the build? Could you suggest something maybe cheaper?

Cheers

Mi idea is to save something more into the CPU Cooler in order to get motherboard with USB 3.1 like the Asus X99-M WS

What do you think?

Cheers

So far I've changed:

Removed OS

Replaced cooler with Noctua NH-D15S due to possible incompatibility with the bigger one and the first PCIe slot. 

Replaced Crucial RAM with Corsair LPX

Replaced Crucial 250SSD with Samsung 500GB ssd

I was thinking to add a frontal case intake fan to maintain positive air pressure. What do you think?

Cheers