Is this clock good so far?

Here's my setup-

Msi x99a sli plus

4x4 corsair ddr4 @ 2400mhz

Corsair h115i + Noctua nf-14 iPPC pwm 3000

msi r9 280x (I know)

NZXT h440 (I know)

This is my first time messing around with overclocking much, and I don't know what to compare this to:

I have all six cores running stable at 4.4 ghz at 1.15V. Those are the only two settings I changed on the CPU. From a bit of googling a lot of people have to use almost 1.3V to get that high.

Aida64 is still running, temps in the mid-60s (and not all too loud, either!).

Is this any good?

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

you could go more that voltage is pretty low and you have a nice cooler 

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

4.4 GHz at 1.15V?! That can't be right as the stock voltage is 1.175V... Sure it's not showing lower voltage because it's idle?

EDIT: Obviously not idle as you said you're still running Aida64... but maybe you're looking at the wrong voltage? Because 4.4 GHz at lower voltage than stock voltage sounds just wierd.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

6 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

4.4 GHz at 1.15V?! That can't be right as the stock voltage is 1.175V... Sure it's not showing lower voltage because it's idle?

EDIT: Obviously not idle as you said you're still running Aida64... but maybe you're looking at the wrong voltage? Because 4.4 GHz at lower voltage than stock voltage sounds just wierd.

not really I can run my 8350 @4.3 ghz with 1.3 v when stop is 1.35 I currently have 4.5GHz at 1.4 v.

All about that lottery.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

If 'core voltage' is the one I should be looking at then it is in fact 1.15V.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

1 minute ago, Crossbred said:

If 'core voltage' is the one I should be looking at then it is in fact 1.15V.

Are you getting that from BIOS or from Windows while under a heavy load?

Just now, done12many2 said:

Are you getting that from BIOS or from Windows while under a heavy load?

Both

18 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Both

Yeah, something isn't right.

Regardless, the fact that your running at 4.4 is good.  That's about an average overclock for a 5820k.  Maybe just a hair below.  Either way, not bad for your first go.

Low voltage chips don't usually equate to high overclocking chips.  More often than not, chips that have less leakage are prone to lower clock speed overclocks with lower voltage.  This doesn't mean that the lower voltage chip is using less power either.  Tighter chips can draw the same current at lower voltages which usually means they produce the same heat as a higher leakage chips at a higher clock speeds and voltages.  Long-winded way of saying that low voltage is no real indication of where you'll go final with that chip.  You'll just have to keep pushing it as long as your cooling can keep up.

Oh, and don't really too heavily on AIDA64 for verifying stability.  It's way too easy to pass even when your chip remains unstable.

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

-snip-

Oh, and don't really too heavily on AIDA64 for verifying stability.  It's way too easy to pass even when your chip remains unstable.

I'll see what pushing further brings.

What would you recommend using instead of aida64? I have prime95 installed but haven't used it much.

Just now, Crossbred said:

I'll see what pushing further brings.

What would you recommend using instead of aida64? I have prime95 installed but haven't used it much.

No need to go as heavy as Prime95 unless your workload call for that kind of stability.  OCCT (CPU:OCCT tab) for about an hour and some RealBench 2.44 for at least 2 hours, but more if you can.  If you do decide to run Prime95, just watch it closely and make sure that your cooling can keep up.  I don't use it often because it puts way too much power through the chip.

I use AIDA64 myself, but I use it along with a battery of other tests to make sure I'm stable.  AIDA64 just happens to be the easiest and coolest running of them all.  

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

No need to go as heavy as Prime95 unless your workload call for that kind of stability.  OCCT (CPU:OCCT tab) for about an hour and some RealBench 2.44 for at least 2 hours, but more if you can.  If you do decide to run Prime95, just watch it closely and make sure that your cooling can keep up.  I don't use it often because it puts way too much power through the chip.

I use AIDA64 myself, but I use it along with a battery of other tests to make sure I'm stable.  AIDA64 just happens to be the easiest and coolest running of them all.  

Cool, thanks. I got temperatures in the 70s at only 3.6ghz on prime95 which worried me. I don't plan to have any workload big enough to make a difference, but I'll test just in case.

If your chip is as good as it seems then I wouldn't be surprised if you make it to 4.6 GHz. For me I could reach 4.3 GHz with stock voltage (at least during stress tests, no idea if it was stable in the long run). Currently sitting at 4.4 GHz with some mild overvoltage.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

4 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

If your chip is as good as it seems then I wouldn't be surprised if you make it to 4.6 GHz. For me I could reach 4.3 GHz with stock voltage (at least during stress tests, no idea if it was stable in the long run). Currently sitting at 4.4 GHz with some mild overvoltage.

I seem to be hitting a steep voltage slope... 4.5 at 1.18V is unstable. I might be able to hit 4.6 but at a much higher temperature than I am comfortable with.

4.5 and 1.2V is stable in aida64 thus far...

9 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

4.5 and 1.2V is stable in aida64 thus far...

What tests do you have checked in AIDA64?

Also, if you just went up .85v from 4.4 to 4.5, you should see a definite rise in temps.  Make sure you're watching package temp and not just individual core or "CPU" temp.  Package temp is what matters on Haswell-E and Broadwell-E chips.

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What tests do you have checked in AIDA64?

All except GPU and discs.

The only three you should run are CPU, FPU and cache.  Test memory and the rest of the stuff later.  If you run anything else in addition to CPU, FPU, and cache, you'll get lower temps.  Read my last post as I edited it to include information about what temps to watch.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The only three you should run are CPU, FPU and cache.  Test memory and the rest of the stuff later.  If you run anything else in addition to CPU, FPU, and cache, you'll get lower temps.  Read my last post as I edited it to include information about what temps to watch.

Cool, thanks.

Given the small performance difference between 4.4 and 4.5 versus the power/heat difference (about 7c) I think I will stick with 4.4 at 1.15v for now. Thanks for the help, all.

What temperatures were you hitting at 4.5 GHz 1.2V? I'm not hitting that bad temps at 1.264V and you have better cooling than me.

Just now, Crossbred said:

Given the small performance difference between 4.4 and 4.5 versus the power/heat difference (about 7c) I think I will stick with 4.4 at 1.15v for now. Thanks for the help, all.

No problem.

Tighter chips are awesome voltage wise, but they suck when you start to push them too high as temperatures rise on a steeper curve with them.  Leaky chips will use more voltage, but will generally scale well.

4.4 is a nice OC.  You could probably get 4.5 running stable, but the steep rise in voltage between 4.4 to 4.5 is usually the indicator to stop and back up one.

Good luck and enjoy that beast.

3 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

What temperatures were you hitting at 4.5 GHz 1.2V? I'm not hitting that bad temps at 1.264V and you have better cooling than me.

Your temps are fine because you have a chip with more leakage like my 5960x.  It's not a bad thing at all to get a chip that requires a bit more voltage contrary to popular belief.  :D

1 hour ago, Crossbred said:

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

No need to go as heavy as Prime95 unless your workload call for that kind of stability.

Prime is an interesting beast, I've oc'd and run stability tests with aida for hours where at the same setting prime would lock up the system in a few minutes.  Interested to see what your final voltage and temps end up as, they look pretty dam good so far. Also run geekbench4 to see what your score is always interesting.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige