Used GTX 970 vs New RX 470

Mex1507

Hey guys,

I'm here with another question: I want to upgrade my rig for christmas and I dunno if I should go for an Asus GTX 970 OC (used one) or a brand new RX 470 (with 8gigs)) I am afraid of that games will take more VRAM to run in the future even in 1080p (Mirrors Edge Catalyst for example, which I really wanna play btw :D) The price for the GTX 970 is negotiable, so maybe I can get it for ~180€ - 200€. RX 470 Nitro+ OC  8gig costs ~240€ at the moment. What do you guys think? Ah and Shadowplay is also a thing. It would be a nice to have because I always went for AMD cards in the past. Is Raptr comparable to Shadowplay? (Haven't used it yet) Thanks in advance!

I'd go with the RX 470, mainy due to the VRAM and the fact that its new. Raptr isn't too useful, but apparently wattman and crimson is much better than the previous software (I haven't used them yet).

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

You maybe could stretch the budget for the rx470 and buy a rx480, new or used. There is not a big price difference between the two.

So true it hurts

New, more VRAM (Well, technically the same but faster VRAM) and less power: Get the 470.

Also AMD Raptr has a similar feature to Shadowplay called AMD VCE. It's not as robust but it does help use the GPU for encoding.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They are roughly equivalent in performance. but get the 470 . It's newer , has more vram and uses less power.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The 970 seems like a good, deal. And it is a faster GPU. But the 8 GB Vram should help in the future, but if you are getting 8Gb vram just get a 480

I am not sure 180 to 200 euros is a good price on Used 970.  Just last night I was at my local Shop they had New but Open Box 970 for less that $200 USD some were $150.  I realize not all markets are the same and I am in the Midwest where we have a lower cost of living when you consider some areas.  

I think the market has fallen out on the 970s since the law suit and Vram "scandal".  

I have one and have never found a game that doesn't run great on it but mine is a little more than a year old.  

What games do you plan to play? I would suggest getting a RX480 4GB instead of a RX470 8 GB if you're sticking to 1080p gaming.

Thanks for your anwers, guys! I will stick with 1080p i guess until my monitor dies :D  I heard that the Sapphire Nitro OC 470X is almost equal to a 480X reference card and that the cooler on the Sapphire RX 480 is a bit to weak to cool it properly. My thoughts are: if i go with 8 gigs of vram i'm a little bit more safe for the future and dont have to worry about a vram bottleneck. My games will be ME Catalyst, Witcher 3 and GTAV i guess. Something like that. At the moment I am playing very much R6 Siege aswell, which is not a too hardware demanding title, is it?