I5 6500 vs i5 6600k

Hey guys, im curious, has anyone seen a significant difference in gaming performance between the i5 6500 and the i5 6600k. i know there is a slight difference it core clock along with the ability to overclock. but the local store i shop out is nearly out of i5 6600k processors and im wondering if it will either be the 10 dollars less for the 6500 or the 100$ more for the i7 6700k. im pairing it with an evga gtx 1070 ftw card and 16 gb of ram. will be mostly gameing in the forseable future. i am also wondering if you can still overclock the non k processors by adjusting the core clock rather than the multiplier. i would at least like to make it match the 3.5 gh of the 6600k if possible. thanks for any help

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

6600k if you are pairing with a 1070

At your local store ask if their FTW cards still have the VRM issue and need the pads or not

I already have the card. simply upgrading ram, mobo and cpu from am3 platform with an fx 4300

6600K might bottleneck the 1070 in more CPU demanding games like Battlefield 1, if you want more than 60FPS I'd advise you get either i7-6700 or an i7-6700K.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

6600K might bottleneck the 1070 in more CPU demanding games like Battlefield 1, if you want more than 60FPS I'd advise you get either i7-6700 or an i7-6700K.

In all my experience and watching of reviews. hyperthreading has a neglagable impact on gaming and the i5 seems to do well for bf1

5 minutes ago, SoloRaptonic said:

In all my experience and watching of reviews. hyperthreading has a neglagable impact on gaming and the i5 seems to do well for bf1

Oh you couldn't be more wrong. GPUs improved by 300% since 2011, while CPUs (2700K - 6700K) by like 30%, that makes i5's not fit for highest-end GPUs anymore.

Watch framerate difference and more importantly, frametimes:

i7's frametimes drop much less, meaning that you'll get less stuttering and a smoother experience overall

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Oh you couldn't be more wrong. GPUs improved by 300% since 2011, while CPUs (2700K - 6700K) by like 30%, that makes i5's not fit for highest-end GPUs anymore.

Watch framerate difference and more importantly, frametimes:

i7's frametimes drop much less, meaning that you'll get less stuttering and a smoother experience overall

All I see is a $1000 GPU paird with a $200 CPU. That's obviously not the right choice but I really doubt that an i5 6500 can bottleneck a 1070. I have this setup and I seem to max my GPU every game, even BF1.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Overclock it to 4.8 or wherever its stable, the CPU should be able to handle it overclocked.

The geek himself.

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

ok i get the 6700k but not the 6700 :D

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

All I see is a $1000 GPU paird with a $200 CPU. That's obviously not the right choice but I really doubt that an i5 6500 can bottleneck a 1070. I have this setup and I seem to max my GPU every game, even BF1.

It can, and it will

Its not huge but there is some bottleneck

6 minutes ago, blu4 said:

its not 1000 vs 200... in euro its 350 vs 250... OK I MISREAD THIS SHID :D fuck me right

18 minutes ago, SoloRaptonic said:

You're both partially right. Hyperthreading does frequently have a negligible impact in many games, but as @Morgan MLGman said, if you're aiming for > 60 FPS in BF1, and you have no other obstacles in your way, you're probably going to want an i7.

I really don't believe you need an i7 if you're playing on a 60 Hz monitor, though.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

You're both partially right. Hyperthreading does frequently have a negligible impact in many games, but as @Morgan MLGman said, if you're aiming for > 60 FPS in BF1, and you have no other obstacles in your way, you're probably going to want an i7.

I really don't believe you need an i7 if you're playing on a 60 Hz monitor, though.

could i pls ask in which resolution becuz i get 70 to 80 with a 970 and a 8350

If you are looking to play at just 60 Hz an i5 will be fine. If you have a high refreshrate monitor, then I would definitely get a 6700K and fast memory (3000 MHz+) so you don't bottleneck your GPU. 

I am planning to only play wlat 1080p with a 144hz monitor. money is a factor hints the reason for this thread. i dont care if its a 5 fps difference in games considering i would have to hash out an extra 100 dollars for the i7. if its above 60 fps in bf1 im happy. if it can utilize the monitor in any other game, im happy

As others said I'd go 6700k for the extra threads, its been proven games like BF1 can utilize the whole 4 cores and the extra threads, plus then you can multi task if you ever want to.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

15 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

could i pls ask in which resolution becuz i get 70 to 80 with a 970 and a 8350

Battlefield 1 seems to have a lot of really weird and unpredictable variance. At 1080p Ultra details + 150% Resolution Scaling with an i5-6600K at 4.5 GHz and a GTX 1070, I can reach upwards of 90 FPS, depending on what's going on. I don't normally see any drops under 60, but in a few really unusual circumstances I've seen CPU usage jump to 100% on all cores, the framerate go down into the 40's and the GPU load in the 60% range, which takes a game restart to fix.

By recommending an i7 for that game I don't mean to suggest an i5 can't do better than 60 FPS, only that an i7 may have a better chance at keeping it smooth and consistent above 60. It's also worth mentioning that if you want better than 60 FPS, you normally want as close to either 120 or 144 FPS as you can, and that seems way beyond the reach of an i5 or 8350 in BF1.

Just now, SoloRaptonic said:

I am planning to only play wlat 1080p with a 144hz monitor. money is a factor hints the reason for this thread. i dont care if its a 5 fps difference in games considering i would have to hash out an extra 100 dollars for the i7. if its above 60 fps in bf1 im happy. if it can utilize the monitor in any other game, im happy

If you are looking to run games at 100+ fps most of the time to take advantage of the monitor:

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

If you are looking to play at just 60 Hz an i5 will be fine. If you have a high refreshrate monitor, then I would definitely get a 6700K and fast memory (3000 MHz+) so you don't bottleneck your GPU. 

7 hours ago, SoloRaptonic said:

If you play 1080p 144hz, you will need an i7. You should get an i7 then.

7 hours ago, blu4 said:

That is a Titan X Maxwell, which essentially is as fast as a 1070 in most games. Meaning that those are the results you'd get at 1080p with each of those processors.