How can I compare my new thermal paste?

trzasku
Go to solution Solved by DHelios,
38 minutes ago, trzasku said:

I want to clean my entire case, my Dark Rock Pro 3 and all the fans I have. Then I want to change my old thermal paste to my new MX-2 using the pea method. I want to see if this will make a change in temperatures and how much.

• How should I define the temperature that I have at this moment, before the changes?
  • What software should I use to test the temperature my CPU has on load and idle?
  • Should I perform all the benchmarks on 100% fan speed or another value? 
  • Is the ambient temperature important? Will the CPU be 2"C cooler when the room is 2"C cooler?

The main problem here, is that you are intending to clean your case and fans. So if you measure now, and then again after you're done changing things, you'll not just measure the difference your thermal compound makes. Things may also be affected by having clean fan blades, clean heatsinks, and the like. Also, you'd be testing baked-in old thermal compound compared to freshly applied new compound. You'll want to clean your system thoroughly, then re-apply a fresh pea of your old thermal paste. Measure this, and use this as your before temp.

Use any software that shows the temperature. HWMon will do just fine.

Whatever speed you set the fans to should be consistent between tests. Try to keep as many things even as possible, including fan speed. So if you test before at 100%, test after at 100% as well. Same with 40%. If you always have your fans set to 40%, that may be a good setting to test with. As this will not only show if the thermal compound change makes a difference, it'll show if the thermal compound change makes a difference for you.

Ambient temperature is important. If you can keep it even, do so. If not, make sure to record the ambient temperature along with your other findings. The values you're looking to compare before and after are the 'rise over ambient': how much hotter is your CPU compared to the ambient temp. So if your room is 20°C and the CPU reads 60°C, that's a 40° rise. If your second test has the room at 23°C and the CPU is 62°C, the CPU is hotter but it's only 39° over ambient, so the thermal solution is doing a better job.

I want to clean my entire case, my Dark Rock Pro 3 and all the fans I have. Then I want to change my old thermal paste to my new MX-2 using the pea method. I want to see if this will make a change in temperatures and how much.

• How should I define the temperature that I have at this moment, before the changes?
  • What software should I use to test the temperature my CPU has on load and idle?
  • Is the ambient temperature important? Will the CPU be 2"C cooler when the room is 2"C cooler?

Wait, is this about toothpaste or thermal paste?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 minutes ago, trzasku said:

1) The temperature should be defined in Celcius I guess.

2) I like to use OpenHardwareMonitor to check temperatures, if you want to check the load temps you can use Aida64.

3) I'd not temper with the fan speeds, you normally don't have your fans spinning at 100% on idle so it doesn't make sense to do it for comparing.

4) The ambient temperature is important, but I suppose you can't scale it like that. Just perform your tests, change the thermal paste and then test again when the temperature is about the same as when you first did your test.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

• OpenHardwareMonitor looks like HWMonitor that I use, is this the same or is OHM better?
  • Is Aida64 the best software to see what temperatures my CPU reach on load?
  • I usually run my fans on 40% because I have a silent build but for test purouses I think 100% will be more reliable  (because it is more consistent) if I want to see if the new thermal paste will make any difference, am I wrong?

6 minutes ago, trzasku said:
  • Is Aida64 the best software to see what temperatures my CPU reach on load?

Aida64 is my preferred software as it includes a stress test utility.

6 minutes ago, trzasku said:
  • I usually run my fans on 40% because I have a silent build but for test purouses I think 100% will be more reliable  (because it is more consistent) if I want to see if the new thermal paste will make any difference, am I wrong?

Proper methodology is to use as close to a real-world scenario (or as consistent as possible) as you can get. Running the fans at 100% would be good if you intend on leaving them there after testing. You should turn off any fan curves though as they may produce inconsistencies in your results.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

You Sir are right, I think I will perform both 40% and 100% tests. Another important question.

How long should the software run to reach the maximum temperature? Is it safe?

Just now, trzasku said:

You Sir are right, I think I will perform both 40% and 100% tests. Another important question.

Go ahead.

Just now, trzasku said:

How long should the software run to reach the maximum temperature? Is it safe?

If it's just a temp test, go for as long as you can until the temp stays stable for 5 or so minutes. After that, use the same time. Make sure you only stress CPU and FPU.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Go ahead.

If it's just a temp test, go for as long as you can until the temp stays stable for 5 or so minutes. After that, use the same time. Make sure you only stress CPU and FPU.

FPU only if you want to have some real fun.  :D

I do not even know what FPU is. I will read some articles how to make a load test with AIDA64.

1 minute ago, trzasku said:

I do not even know what FPU is. I will read some articles how to make a load test with AIDA64.

Nobody does... It's just a legend, a fairy tale.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, trzasku said:

The main problem here, is that you are intending to clean your case and fans. So if you measure now, and then again after you're done changing things, you'll not just measure the difference your thermal compound makes. Things may also be affected by having clean fan blades, clean heatsinks, and the like. Also, you'd be testing baked-in old thermal compound compared to freshly applied new compound. You'll want to clean your system thoroughly, then re-apply a fresh pea of your old thermal paste. Measure this, and use this as your before temp.

Use any software that shows the temperature. HWMon will do just fine.

Whatever speed you set the fans to should be consistent between tests. Try to keep as many things even as possible, including fan speed. So if you test before at 100%, test after at 100% as well. Same with 40%. If you always have your fans set to 40%, that may be a good setting to test with. As this will not only show if the thermal compound change makes a difference, it'll show if the thermal compound change makes a difference for you.

Ambient temperature is important. If you can keep it even, do so. If not, make sure to record the ambient temperature along with your other findings. The values you're looking to compare before and after are the 'rise over ambient': how much hotter is your CPU compared to the ambient temp. So if your room is 20°C and the CPU reads 60°C, that's a 40° rise. If your second test has the room at 23°C and the CPU is 62°C, the CPU is hotter but it's only 39° over ambient, so the thermal solution is doing a better job.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, trzasku said:

Floating Point Unit (FPU), which is the part of you CPU design specifically for fast math calculations.  Stressing it alone will produce the highest temps in AIDA64 or any stress test that focuses on in.  You just need to make sure that your cooling capacity is up to par before running this test only for extended periods of time.  It gets a lot hotter.

You still haven't addressed the "toothpaste" in your title.

44 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Wait, is this about toothpaste or thermal paste?

In a pinch, regular white toothpaste will substitute for thermal paste.  It's not as efficient as actual thermal compound designed for the job, but it's better than no thermal interface material at all. Your computer may smell minty fresh for a few days, but that will fade.

That said... just spend the few bucks to get actual thermal paste =)

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M

Microsoft Lumia 950

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

1 minute ago, DHelios said:

In a pinch, regular white toothpaste will substitute for thermal paste.  It's not as efficient as actual thermal compound designed for the job, but it's better than no thermal interface material at all. Your computer may smell minty fresh for a few days, but that will fade.

That said... just spend the few bucks to get actual thermal paste =)

We were both jokingly pointing out the OP's error in his title, but thanks for breaking that down.  :D

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

We were both jokingly pointing out the OP's error in his title, but thanks for breaking that down.  :D

I'm quite sure the OP was either joking, mistyped or had a case of bad autocorrect. Still, as far as mistakes go it could be worse. My Athlon XP ran for years with nothing but Prodent between the CPU and HSF =)

daily driver

Microsoft Lumia 950

daily driver 2

server

1 minute ago, DHelios said:

I'm quite sure the OP was either joking, mistyped or had a case of bad autocorrect.

You can't go wrong with a sentence like that.  You've got all the bases covered.

7 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You can't go wrong with a sentence like that.  You've got all the bases covered.

Wrong. Nothing of this is true, it was a simple clickbait, I am very sorry. But thank you guys for help. Last question.

Should I perform the benchamrk on an open or closed case? If I do a stress test then the next test will be done in a hot environment because the air in the case will be still hot. Mayby I shut down the PC and wait for some minutes?

And should I turn of my AUTO CO for the test time?

1 hour ago, trzasku said:

Should I perform the benchamrk on an open or closed case? If I do a stress test then the next test will be done in a hot environment because the air in the case will be still hot. Mayby I shut down the PC and wait for some minutes?

Closed case is always a better performer as the air can be channeled through efficiently.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler