Coil whine when the hdd shuts down

Hello,

when the HDD in the computer shuts down, there is about 3 secs of coil whine. I have an Asus z170-a motherboard, Samsung SM951 m.2 SSD (OS drive) and WD Black 2 TB HDD.

Should I be worried or not?

Thank you in advance

Asus Prime X570 Pro | AMD R9 3900X | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb 3000MHz CL15 | Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM750x | Noctua NH-D15

You sure it's the HDD. HDD vibrate so i should not worry

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You sure it's the HDD. HDD vibrate so i should not worry

i'm positive. the vibration is loud enough that i can hear it shutting down an the coil whine at the same time

Asus Prime X570 Pro | AMD R9 3900X | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb 3000MHz CL15 | Asus Strix GTX 1080 A8G | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM750x | Noctua NH-D15

37 minutes ago, LUK said:

i'm positive. the vibration is loud enough that i can hear it shutting down an the coil whine at the same time

Coil whine is the wrong term unless you have power delivery components strapped to your hdd and have excessive amount of electricity being pumped through it.  If your getting a lot of noise from you hdd I suggest you stop using it right away and buy a replacement or go through an rma process and hope you can transfer the files over before it fails (better safe then sorry).

edit: first I'd remove the hdd from your pc just to make sure its not vibration sounds from it "rattling" in your case or something.  This might help you figure out if it is the hdd for sure or not.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 hour ago, Ryoku said:

Coil whine is the wrong term unless you have power delivery components strapped to your hdd and have excessive amount of electricity being pumped through it.  If your getting a lot of noise from you hdd I suggest you stop using it right away and buy a replacement or go through an rma process and hope you can transfer the files over before it fails (better safe then sorry).

edit: first I'd remove the hdd from your pc just to make sure its not vibration sounds from it "rattling" in your case or something.  This might help you figure out if it is the hdd for sure or not.

Yes it was not the coil whine (total noob here, my first desktop). I listened carefully while shutting it down. When the hdd is slowing down, there is a squeaking noise, always identical, so most probably in the same rpm area, as if it was squeaking breaks on a car.

The hdd is operating flawlessly otherwise.

with WD blacks, the vibration is entirely natural. Just make sure that they are allowed to vibrate rather than fixed tight onto the chassis.

13 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

with WD blacks, the vibration is entirely natural. Just make sure that they are allowed to vibrate rather than fixed tight onto the chassis.

thank you very much,

and yes, the drive is mounted on a rubber mounts (fractal define S). i actually modded the case because it originally had 3 vertical mounts that were not in the airflow path. so i took one of them, drilled some holes and mounted it at the front, directly in front of the fan horizontally.