Why was the 3930k so damn good for some people

I looks at people's clocks and see 5ghz or 4.7 or 4.8 ghz for the old 3930k. I had one that I could hit over 5ghz..... why was this cpu so good?? yet it still got lower benchmark scores but still... that clock speed.... how?

13 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I looks at people's clocks and see 5ghz or 4.7 or 4.8 ghz for the old 3930k. I had one that I could hit over 5ghz..... why was this cpu so good?? yet it still got lower benchmark scores but still... that clock speed.... how?

Winning the silicon with an architecture that wasn't a pile of poo.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Hmm. Any chance to get the suggested setup for 4.7Clock? im not into it so i do not know where to find reliable sources and safe settings. But i have a 3930K :D It is sitting at 4.1Ghz now with a Noctua block and single fan idling at 5% minimum

as they are no longer produced the cost of the board to a 3930k has gone crazy high and are hard to find sadly.... That cpu was great..... but since you can't get the board the value on ebay is like 100 bucks for that cpu now 

Interesting. But it is not the top model from that era surely? i believe i had the option to buy one 3.3Ghz.. but it was like 3000NOK ekstra.

2 hours ago, MatsNorway said:

Interesting. But it is not the top model from that era surely? i believe i had the option to buy one 3.3Ghz.. but it was like 3000NOK ekstra.

The 3970x was the top dog from that time frame.  It had a 3.5/4.0 clock speed with 15 MB of cache compared to the 3930k at 3.2/3.8 clock speed with 12 MB of cache.

On 29/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, MatsNorway said:

Hmm. Any chance to get the suggested setup for 4.7Clock? im not into it so i do not know where to find reliable sources and safe settings. But i have a 3930K :D It is sitting at 4.1Ghz now with a Noctua block and single fan idling at 5% minimum

what mobo
?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB