Budget 1070 build vs. RX-480

Hey guys. I was originally going to make a RX-480 build but I belive the performance gap between the 480 and the 1070 is significant so i'm trying to see if I can build a 1070 as cheap as possible. How does my 1070 build look? Would an i5 6500 be ideal and not much of a bottleneck? If you want review my rx-480 build and suggest anything if needed thank you. Trying to keep price below $800.

Note: If the part isn't listed, that means I already have it. Upgrading from my current 7850 build. 

1070: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jHNfpb

RX-480:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q8frRG

Thank you guys!

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

1 minute ago, silvinodino said:

yeah, but you need to buy a z170 motherboard and a proper cooler if you want to overclock. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

you need a overclocked i5 6600k or an i7 6700k to keep up with the GTX 1070. 

WRONG.

You dont need a 6600K

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Right now i'm finding a lot of R9 fury (non x) for 300$/€~, if you can get a hand on 1 that would be a bit better then the 1070.

9 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

yeah, but you need to buy a z170 motherboard and a proper cooler if you want to overclock. 

Why a different mobo? I like the motherboard I chosen because its the only one i  could find with a SPDIF port. 

I also have a Rajinitek water cooler. Im not much of an overclocker, I dont even know how to OC haha

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

you need a overclocked i5 6600k or an i7 6700k to keep up with the GTX 1070. 

what??? erm no?

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

3 minutes ago, silvinodino said:

I'd get the 1070 build. There will be a bottleneck, but it'll be small and only a problem in very-CPU intensive games. Plus it'll still perform better than the RX 480 build, bottleneck and all.

Did you have an $800 budget for the CPU, GPU, board and RAM? If so, for just under your $800 budget you can squeeze a 6600K and Z170 board (see below), which will allow you to overclock your CPU to reduce or remove the bottleneck completely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($384.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $799.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 16:02 EST-0500

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

10 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

WRONG.

You dont need a 6600K

Why so? Whats the diffences between the 6500 and 6600k?

Why so? Whats the diffences between the 6500 and 6600k?

The 6600K is unclocked.

This means (via advanced settings, which you shouldnt mess with) you can theoretically get more performance out of the CPU.

However, for a novice, you dont need one.

Get the i5 6500.

Great performance, realatively low price

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

12 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Depends on the game, resolution refresh rate etc.

The game i'm upgrading this for is called "Rust" 

15 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I'd get the 1070 build. There will be a bottleneck, but it'll be small and only a problem in very-CPU intensive games. Plus it'll still perform better than the RX 480 build, bottleneck and all.

Did you have an $800 budget for the CPU, GPU, board and RAM? If so, for just under your $800 budget you can squeeze a 6600K and Z170 board (see below), which will allow you to overclock your CPU to reduce or remove the bottleneck completely.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card  ($384.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $799.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-28 16:02 EST-0500

I don't know how to OC and don't feel comfortable attempting too. Why that mobo instead of the one I suggested haha, what is the difference between the two? yes $800 is the max budget but i'd like to stray away from that price tag as that is the very peak and maximum I could go haha. I appreicate your feeback:)

2 minutes ago, silvinodino said:

The game i'm upgrading this for is called "Rust" 

Not 100% how it will do in that game. What resolution and refresh rate? It will run it fine at ultra 1080 60 fps. 

9 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Not 100% how it will do in that game. What resolution and refresh rate? It will run it fine at ultra 1080 60 fps. 

That's the ideal resolution I want to run at. Just whatever will let me play at 60 fps really. my current build only lets me play on low settings at 30 fps ;(

4 minutes ago, silvinodino said:

I don't know how to OC and don't feel comfortable attempting too. Why that mobo instead of the one I suggested haha, what is the difference between the two? yes $800 is the max budget but i'd like to stray away from that price tag as that is the very peak and maximum I could go haha. I appreicate your feeback:)

also the 480 for 1080p gaming is not bad its a really good card for the price budget build you can throw in better mouse and keyboard but in the end its up to you as gpu becomes outdated before cpu the 4790k is still a good cpu while the 780 is old  

Just now, silvinodino said:

The difference is that the one I listed uses the Z170 chipset, where as the one you listed uses B150. Difference between those two is that Z170 allows overclocking (when paired with an unlocked CPU like the 6600K) whereas B150 does not.

If you're not ok with overclocking, no big deal. Just get the 6500 instead, with the 1070. You'll have to deal with a small bottleneck but it won't be catastrophic, plus you always have the option to upgrade to something like an i7 in the future :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, silvinodino said:

That's the ideal resolution I want to run at. Just whatever will let me play at 60 fps really. my current build only lets me play on low settings at 30 fps ;(

A 1060 6 GB will do that. You might have a few drops to 50 fps once in a while though. 

10 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

The difference is that the one I listed uses the Z170 chipset, where as the one you listed uses B150. Difference between those two is that Z170 allows overclocking (when paired with an unlocked CPU like the 6600K) whereas B150 does not.

If you're not ok with overclocking, no big deal. Just get the 6500 instead, with the 1070. You'll have to deal with a small bottleneck but it won't be catastrophic, plus you always have the option to upgrade to something like an i7 in the future :D

Yes that is the plan is to upgrade to an i7 possibly or even the AMD Zen if it's good enough haha,. I appreciate you explaining the difference between the motherboards! I think i'll deal with a small bottleneck :P

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

You'll have to deal with a small bottleneck but it won't be catastrophic

honestly depending on which games at 1080p its not even a bottleneck really you are looking at, at most a 5 fps loss in respect to AAA titles on ultra. 

keep the 1070 and go with a i5 6500

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

A 1060 6 GB will do that. You might have a few drops to 50 fps once in a while though. 

Here's a video on how it will perform. You will get a bit better performance with an i5 6500. If you can't find the fps counter it's in the bottom left hand corner :)